Effect Audio cables thread
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,741 of 7,925
Yes, we will be premiering the "Janus" in Canjam Singapore. Janus will come in 2 varient -

Janus 'd' - Dynamic Ver.
or
Janus 'b' - Basso Ver.

Both of them carries inherently very different sound signature catering to different preferences.

-Eric

Sorry if this was already discussed here, but how would you describe the sound signature of the Janus, perhaps even compared to the Horus and Leonidas?

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #1,742 of 7,925
Sorry if this was already discussed here, but how would you describe the sound signature of the Janus, perhaps even compared to the Horus and Leonidas?
I didn't compare directly, but I would say overall Horus offers a clearer, more transparent sound with more sparkle on top. Janus D has a warmer, more bodied midrange with greater sub-bass extension and impact. Its treble is detailed, but I would guess smoother and less sparkly. Janus B still probably has a warmer midrange and more bass emphasis than Horus, but has relatively more treble than Janus D, and a wider but flatter stage. So overall, both versions of Janus have a warmer midrange, and more mid-bass emphasis than Horus, while Horus offers more clarity and sparkle. From memory, Leo has a more neutral tone and perhaps smoother treble than the others, but it's been too long since I heard it so I prob shouldn't even comment hehe.
Also, these are brief (show) impressions of Janus, could be off here and there :wink:

Attachments

• Janus2.jpg
    Janus2.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Janus.jpg
    Janus.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,743 of 7,925
I didn't compare directly, but I would say overall Horus offers a clearer, more transparent sound with more sparkle on top. Janus D has a warmer, more bodied midrange with greater sub-bass extension and impact. Its treble is detailed, but I would guess smoother and less sparkly. Janus B still probably has a warmer midrange and more bass emphasis than Horus, but has relatively more treble than Janus D, and a wider but flatter stage. So overall, both versions of Janus have a warmer midrange, and more mid-bass emphasis than Horus, while Horus offers more clarity and sparkle. From memory, Leo has a more neutral tone and perhaps smoother treble than the others, but it's been too long since I heard it so I prob shouldn't even comment hehe.
Also, these are brief (show) impressions of Janus, could be off here and there :wink:
So which one did you find paired better with the Phantom?

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,744 of 7,925

That was my impressions as well, compared to Horus using U18t at CanJam NYC, where I personally prefered Dynamic version since it offered something different from Horus, giving more body to low end and more controlled top end while you can fine-tune the sound further by switching between M20 and M15.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #1,746 of 7,925
【Personal Audio Fair - Hongkong】

We're properly set up and ready for the meet and greet! Experience our full repertoire of cables including the sneek peek of "Janus"~!!

We'll see you guys in abit :)

941F2B39-566B-4E0A-B1D7-3989708581C5-2692-0000027A31EEDB83_tmp.JPG 6020296A-4696-4AC5-B636-93D1B4C3B08B-2692-0000027A39231FE5_tmp.JPG C4BB0AC9-06BE-4FC3-97E1-AFA5EF2A895D-2692-0000027A1AB3EAD3_tmp.JPG CD96D4DD-D39A-4790-883D-B48690EA4B90-2692-0000027A2AB70D0D_tmp.JPG

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,748 of 7,925
I think I preferred Janus, if not only because it seemed like something different than I was used to :)
Just tried the two Janus cables at the Personal Audio Show here in Hong Kong. I seem to like the Janus D cable a bit more than Janus B.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #1,749 of 7,925
Just tried the two Janus cables at the Personal Audio Show here in Hong Kong. I seem to like the Janus D cable a bit more than Janus B.
Oops didn't realise you might have been asking which of the Janus I preferred. Yeah I also preferred D, and most people I talked to. Janus B will be more for trebleheads.
Btw, picked up a Leonidas on loan from @Adventure. Also not bad with the Phantom; not bad at all. :man_dancing:

Incidentally, Ultima CU + Leonidas feels a lot like Hugo 2 tonally from memory.

phantom leo.png

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,750 of 7,925
Oops didn't realise you might have been asking which of the Janus I preferred. Yeah I also preferred D, and most people I talked to. Janus B will be more for trebleheads.
Btw, picked up a Leonidas on loan from @Adventure. Also not bad with the Phantom; not bad at all. :man_dancing:

You should try the Leonidas with the SE5U too...

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #1,751 of 7,925
I got a delivery last night. I already post this pic to 64 Audio thread but couldn't resist the urge to post it here.
Am I crazy that I just started thinking about getting Janus...
IMG_2998.jpg

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,752 of 7,925
I've just ordered a custom length Horus cable, but there is a two week waiting period so I can probably cancel my order and wait for Janus. I've listened to Horus and I like the sparkle and the base, but there is always room for improvement in the base. However, I don't want to loose the sparkle... My only other experience with custom cables is SilverFi IEM-X and while it has nice base, it reduced the sparkle considerable and I didn't like that. What should I do? Also I have 64 Audio A18 with AK SP1000.

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,753 of 7,925

@flinkenick From what I heard from you're Phantom with the Leonidas it is really great, a joyful combination.
I would trade my Dita Dream instant!!

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #1,754 of 7,925
I think that the furutech plugs should sound better, but as you said, the oyaide might sound better in synergy with the effect sound. However, one thing is clear for me and that is oyaide/effect audio plugs are more durable than furutech where the plating seems to peel easily

I know this is an EE thread, but since there's momentum on the connector discussion, how do Eidolic compare to the Oyaide/Furutech plugs as far as quality? I have re-terminated two or three EE cables to Eidolic connectors and I cannot comment on the sound quality because I would be switching from 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced and it's never apples to apples :)

-Collin-

Ok so rather than respond to individual PMs asking on my thoughts on the improvements after swapping out all the EA parts to other brand connectors, I thought it may be more helpful to just post it as a open thought.

The changes made involved removing everything but the stock horus y-split. Frankly, I personally found the y-split rather understated, and hence subtly elegant in its design as opposed to the usual y-split. I appreciated the design, and hence kept it.
Changes made:
2-pin: Tellurium copper pins (to replace the stock brass EA pins)
Barrel: Rosenkranz barrel (to replace the stock EA barrel)
4.4mm: Bispa OFC (to replace the stock EA plug)
Solder: Decided to stick to the Mundorf Silver gold solder. The Silver gold solder works fine in this case so no harm using it again.
Removal of the Ferrite bead (which acts as a low bass filter and replaced with stillpoiint ERS sheet

The changes were a refinement, rather than a change in signature of the cable. Thats good. To the Horus cable manufacturer's credit, the cable does sport a very well tuned signature that seeks to bring together transparency with an energetic signature. However, the Horus achieves its transparency by being, if anything, a little too lean sounding, mids sound thin, and the highs a little shrill. The bass remains ever present, sometimes even and is rarely an issue, probably thanks to the gold aspect of the cable that usually has a tendency to bring about authoritative bass. To sum it up, its a rather transparent cable, with a slightly unnatural timber. This is consistent across iems like the dream, the Legend X, the Legend R, Jomo Flamenco, and using players like the SP1k, the WM1Z, Fiio X1and the PAW gold. Its a good cable, but lacking.

So, one will see that the first changes involved replacing all stock EA connectors with copper connectors. The improvements, as mentioned, are arguable, but several users have stated that copper parts do make a difference, and given that EA has indeed publicised their new plugs as being superior to their previous plugs, we shall go with the assumption that these improvements in plugs aren't a figment of one's imagination. Generally, the OFC plugs from Bispa/Pentaconn tends to impart a more bodied (but not bassier) timber to the sound. Separation also goes up a notch, which leads to a perceived improvements in clarity. This is in comparison to plugs like the Oyaide palladium/plat plugs. I had tried using those when it first came out a couple of years back, but sent back to their standard gold plated plugs as I felt that it sounded slightly unnatural in its timbre. Furutech does lead to a similar increase in clarity, but as many have noticed they do have flaking issues, and their barrels do need more care to maintain its shine than other brands, and slightly alters the signature by increasing the bass slam. Simple gold plated OFC avoids most of these, and acts to improve rather than alter the signature.

Now, the next change, or rather removal, was the ferrite bead. EA claims that the ferrite bead 'rejects external signals'. However, this in turn behaves as a low pass filter. I felt that this may be the cause of the slightly lopsided timber, hence I decided to remove the ferrite bead, and use stillpoint ERS sheet instead. I've had fun with that before in my amps, so I cut out a strip and ghetto wrapped it around the barrel. I would like to say that this made a change, but I am unable to say so as this is the first time that I've actually tried using this in a cable. But, I can say, for certain, that it hasn't taken away the cable' potential, which is unfortunately what has happened with the ferrite bead. The ferrite bead made the Horus sound awkwardly lean in its mid and highs, its removal restored that natural body of the mids and highs,

All in all, these led to the removal of the aforementioned issues with the stock Horus cable. The biggest culprits I felt were the connectors used, and the ferrite bead. With cable manufacturers DHC and Toxic moving towards copper-based connectors, I found it mystifying that EA still uses brass plated plugs in its TOTL cable. Similarly, shielding at connectors is a valid concern, but the use of ferrite beads seems to be one step forward but two steps back. In short, the cable itself, is impressive, but the parts choice used in its builds are holding back its true potential. EA has certainly produced a remarkable cable design, but it still falls short of its real potential.

So, would I recommend the cable? I'm frankly on the fence about it. Firstly, its a ludicrous amount of money for a cable, and at 1.6k one might feel that said cash is better invested in a new IEM, sources or speakers. But, I found myself intrigued by the audacity of a company daring to make a statement that they have, a cable, that is worth 1.6k in sonic performance, and as I dont receive reviewer's units, or wish to use demo units since I prefer extended listening sessions in the comfort of my home, I decided to pull the trigger.

So, is this a 1.6k USD cable? Yes and No. I'm hard pressed to find find a 4-wire cable that equals its performance. It indeed edges the PW 1960 2-wire equivalent out in performance (the 1960 2 wire is in essence a standard 4 wire). But, when we compare absolute price, the 4 wire 1960 (post OFC parts upgrades) is a head above the horus.

So, if you value the flexibility of a 4 wire and cost no object, I would get the Horus and replace all its parts to make it the perfect daily driver cable. But, if sound is the priority, and one doesnt mind the thicker wire, I would opt for the alternative instead. I personally dont use my 1960as my daily driver, I can feel the cable weight on my ears, and hence I tend to avoid using it when on the move. I cannot feel the Horus on my ears, and hence, thankfully, I do have a place for this cable in my collection, as opposed to selling it because it adds nothing to my gear lineup.

It is, in my, opinion, the best travel use cable bar none. Its amazingly transparent, amazing spatial resolution, rather natural sounding in its timbre, and the 4 wire feels weightless on my ears. But, all these, only comes together as a whole cohesive package post modifications. But, ex nihilo nihil fit, and after this, I am glad to be able to contribute by adding that, to what we already know about the cable, that it still has room for improvements should one wish to go above and beyond the design choices made.

IMG_2427.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #1,755 of 7,925
@Rei87 : Thanks for your insightful knowledge. You are a truly brave man.

Where do you get TeCu 2-pin? Are they from Toxic Cable brand? Cause Rosenkranz 2-pin is not specified the material of conductor. Only match-pair is specified.
Did you replace a barrel of 4.4 mm. plug? Typically, BISPA CINQBES comes with the 'middle-curve' barrel shape.
Where did you get ERS sheet? About RF/EMI protection issue, I've heard only about copper sheet.

I hope one day Effect Audio will change their mind about allowing a customer sends third-party connector parts for making a customized cable likes many brands which freely provide various connector type & brand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back