Effect Audio cables thread
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #1,711 of 7,919
Hey Eric! I hope that the Monday is finding you well. There's always this Monday lethargy that comes with the start of a new week. Anyway glad of you to chip in, as you are just the man who could answer my question. It was actually a question, a statement prehaps, but most certainly not a feedback as you seem to have misinterpreted it as. I didnt offer any criticism or suggestions with regards to your TOTL cable, but made an observation, question, about its construction due to my lack of knowledge in this hobby. So it the new EA ferrite plug a redesigned plug? Or is is a choker wrapped around a wire in a standard plug?

Maybe choker plug was a mistake as I didnt get a reviewer's unit and was simply had a mass produced one, so the quality control may perhaps have lapsed a little like how production lines have a QC percentage target. But dont worry about warrantying it, I'll just have it serviced properly on my own account.

I like the way you think reviewers gear gets tested more than a buying customers... That's is 100% un-true. I have 2 samples, and have tried customer bought ones and they are the same quality wise.

Again a few here have samples and bought units with their own money like @Wyville and have had no issues.

It could be you have got a lemon, unlikely but possible. Either way Effect Audio will sort it out for you quickly.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #1,712 of 7,919
Surprised to hear a jack didn't fit, I'd assume it would be a well established issue if it was more common? I have personally never experienced a jack that didn't fit (with any cable brand for that matter), only the top-end connectors are sometimes larger or smaller unfortunately.

@Rei87 I think Alex posted a pic of the ferrite choker a while back when he got Horus, you might be thinking of that. Hope you enjoy it.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,713 of 7,919
Maybe choker plug was a mistake as I didnt get a reviewer's unit and was simply had a mass produced one, so the quality control may perhaps have lapsed a little like how production lines have a QC percentage target. But dont worry about warrantying it, I'll just have it serviced properly on my own account.

To be honest I bought the Leonidas and Ares II directly from Eric, and.... I am not a reviewer, I use these cables for my own pleasure!!
Haven't encountered any problems with these outstanding cables, the built quality rivals easily their sound quality !!

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,714 of 7,919
I like the way you think reviewers gear gets tested more than a buying customers... That's is 100% un-true. I have 2 samples, and have tried customer bought ones and they are the same quality wise.

Again a few here have samples and bought units with their own money like @Wyville and have had no issues.

It could be you have got a lemon, unlikely but possible. Either way Effect Audio will sort it out for you quickly.

In similar vein, I also like how you made a sweeping statement in which you can make an assertion with absolute certainty that mass produced units gets the exact same quality in all aspects as reviewer units :). No one can really say that unless they are working for EA in some form or another, or privy to their inner workings as friends or member of trade, all of which I certainly am not. I for one certainly couldnt make such an assertion, hence all I could do was, as I quote, hazard a guess that "quality control may perhaps have lapsed a little".

In addition, given EA's claims of a special collaboration and improvements, I had expected the ferrite bead to be integrated into the barrel itself as an elegant unit. The last thing I had expected was a ghetto mod involving sticking a choker bead onto the wire itself for a 2k totl cable. Given EA's focus on aesthetics, this seemed contradictory, even shoddy. Imagine if you bought a boutique bike which marketed having improved shock dampening, and you opened it up to find that it was simply foam taped to the inner frame as opposed to it having specific cutouts integrated into the frame molding process itself.

Hence, my surprise upon opening the barrel which lead to my concerns that EA might have slipped up in my purchased unit leading to a rather backyard DIY-er esque implementation of shielding in a plug. Maybe I'm just to boutique products being well designed and built, but if I was expecting too much then maybe I should learn to taper my expectations abit. But it never hurts to clarify first :)

Surprised to hear a jack didn't fit, I'd assume it would be a well established issue if it was more common? I have personally never experienced a jack that didn't fit (with any cable brand for that matter), only the top-end connectors are sometimes larger or smaller unfortunately.

@Rei87 I think Alex posted a pic of the ferrite choker a while back when he got Horus, you might be thinking of that. Hope you enjoy it.

I can't agree or disagree with the plug issue, as all my EA wires have almost always been reterminated as soon as I receive them to better plugs, be it furutech back then, or bispa/pentaconn OFC and copper 2-pins. The improvements may be arguable, but I do find these changes a discernable improvements , and given that EA themselves would go to such lengths to promote their oyaide rebranded plugs prehaps these plugs do have something going for it after all.

On that note, I've had some fun reterminating ALL the connectors used on the wire and upgraded the solder as well. I must say that the sound has at least, to my ears, changed. I'll post some details on the final look and sound post changes after I've let it run for a while.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #1,715 of 7,919
In similar vein, I also like how you made a sweeping statement in which you can make an assertion with absolute certainty that mass produced units gets the exact same quality in all aspects as reviewer units :). No one can really say that unless they are working for EA in some form or another, or privy to their inner workings as friends or member of trade, all of which I certainly am not. I for one certainly couldnt make such an assertion, hence all I could do was, as I quote, hazard a guess that "quality control may perhaps have lapsed a little".
Considering that Alex showed and discussed the ferrite bead in his review, you could have known about it and it shows that "review units" are simply production units. It would not makes sense to do anything other than send production units because from a business perspective it is unsustainable in this day and age to pull tricks like that, especially with forums like Head-fi, where many people post reviews, not just dedicated reviewers, and people (like yourself) are free to share criticism if they have it.

In my experience EA take feedback seriously and they are genuinely interested in having their products critically evaluated by reviewers and customers alike. I honestly would not bother reviewing their products if I thought otherwise. They could offer me an 8-wire Horus "in exchange for my honest opinion" and my honest opinion would be "keep it" if I thought there was anything funny going on.

(Just my perspective, btw, not an attack or anything like that.)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,717 of 7,919
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,718 of 7,919
I can't agree or disagree with the plug issue, as all my EA wires have almost always been reterminated as soon as I receive them to better plugs, be it furutech back then, or bispa/pentaconn OFC and copper 2-pins. The improvements may be arguable, but I do find these changes a discernable improvements , and given that EA themselves would go to such lengths to promote their oyaide rebranded plugs prehaps these plugs do have something going for it after all.

On that note, I've had some fun reterminating ALL the connectors used on the wire and upgraded the solder as well. I must say that the sound has at least, to my ears, changed. I'll post some details on the final look and sound post changes after I've let it run for a while.
Have you found the 2.5mm Furutech plugs sound superior to EA's Oyaide versions? Perhaps EA chose the Oyaide brand because those connectors contribute sonically to the EA 'house sound', or even aesthetics as the carbon fiber makes them look premium.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,719 of 7,919
Have you found the 2.5mm Furutech plugs sound superior to EA's Oyaide versions? Perhaps EA chose the Oyaide brand because those connectors contribute sonically to the EA 'house sound', or even aesthetics as the carbon fiber makes them look premium.
I think that the furutech plugs should sound better, but as you said, the oyaide might sound better in synergy with the effect sound. However, one thing is clear for me and that is oyaide/effect audio plugs are more durable than furutech where the plating seems to peel easily

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,720 of 7,919
Honestly it's one of the worse plugs I've ever tried. I tried their demo cable with the gold Effect branded 2.5mm plug. Insert it into my AK380 copper. Then it got stuck and I'm having alot of trouble removing it. Thank god i managed to pry it off. I think it's 2.6mm lol. From now on, I only demo the cables with reliable high grade plugs like Oyaide and Furutech.

That's an unfortunate situation you found yourself in.
I think it's due to manufacturing tolerances where your AK might be at the lower end of it and the EA at the top end. I recently came into this position as well, though in my case it was the plug that was too small for the output, resulting in dropouts... // It wasn't an EA cable...

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,721 of 7,919
I think that the furutech plugs should sound better, but as you said, the oyaide might sound better in synergy with the effect sound. However, one thing is clear for me and that is oyaide/effect audio plugs are more durable than furutech where the plating seems to peel easily
I had a similar experience with Furutech 2.5mm balanced plug. The rhodium plating came off within a month. I was disappointed.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,722 of 7,919
I know this is an EE thread, but since there's momentum on the connector discussion, how do Eidolic compare to the Oyaide/Furutech plugs as far as quality? I have re-terminated two or three EE cables to Eidolic connectors and I cannot comment on the sound quality because I would be switching from 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced and it's never apples to apples :)

-Collin-

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,723 of 7,919
Appreciate all the feedbacks guys! Thanks for clarifying things up :)

Meanwhile on other news - Here's what we have prepped for Canjam Singapore!

29132944_10156203521342236_5528167524690034688_n.jpg

What do y'all reckon' ?

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #1,724 of 7,919
I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before but i can't be bothered to go search, whats the pricing for the following connectors:
gold-plated straight 3.5mm single-ended
rhodium-plated straight 3.5mm single-ended
Psquare straight 3.5mm single-ended

Is the Psquare connector similarly resilient to wear as the rhodium connector?

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,725 of 7,919
I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before but i can't be bothered to go search, whats the pricing for the following connectors:
gold-plated straight 3.5mm single-ended
rhodium-plated straight 3.5mm single-ended
Psquare straight 3.5mm single-ended

Is the Psquare connector similarly resilient to wear as the rhodium connector?

There will be no additional costs for both the Gold-Plated / Rhodium-Plated connectors. PSquared upgrade will be available momentarily, meanwhile its only been used on "Horus" and "Lionheart" as well as "Leonidas-Black".

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back