Edition 8 - my first hands on impression
Jan 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 142

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
I had a brief chance to try Edition8 my hands on. Please note, this is based on a pre-production demo unit, not a CES demo unit that is more tuned and somewhat improved. Needless to say, it could also be differ to the final.

Click picture to enlarge.

Look, Feel

Edition8 looks solid and classy to my eyes. The look of Edition 7/9 was spoiled by the plastic parts but in comparison E8 employs bunch of metallic parts, it reminds me of my GRADO HP2.
I felt the weight was not heavy considering the heavy duty construction. The headbands have a proper side pressure.

There is a click response when adjusting the headband, this is also nice. It's a shame the cups or headbands is not foldable.

*note: Ultrasone logo would be printed on the side arm for the production model.

The sound

On the first listen I found the Edition 8 is fairly fast, sharp and articulate. I'd say the sound of E8 is transparent and highly refined overall.
Highs could be a bit sibilant but the demo model seems like almost new and we did not have a time to burnt-in.
More details will be covered in following comparisons.

E8 and ATH-ESW10 JPN

First, I hooked it up with my best portable set up, SR71A and iQube, as well as RWA iMod and ALO iMod LODs.
I compared the E8 with my ESW10 JPN at first, that is my best portable can ever. However, I ceased my comparison after a few trial. Edition 8 is simply much better than ESW10 and ESW10 is not in the same league. No comparison here. ESW10 still has an advantage as it is more compact as a foldable can, and ESW10 has good intimate warmer sounding.
I wrote that the ESW10 is good, but I should have written that the ESW10 is good for portable.

E8 and ATH-W2002 JPN

So,I made a comparison with Audiotechinica W2002 JPN next. Here is a chance to revenge of the JPN model,
Speak truly,the W2002 is only my highend headphone which remain in stock. All others has been balanced recabled. This time, I used some home amps and I installed 1/4 adapter to E8.

Again, Edition 8 easily out perform w2002 by a large margin, especially for transparency and PRaT region.
Comparing W2002 to Edition8, W2002 is slow and dark. Yes this Audio-technica big brother is warmer than Ultrasone as well. Some may prefer W2002. This could be a virtue of Audiotechnica.

So, is the Edition8 analytical? I'd say No, but I hold the conclusion as I had not enough time to know everything. but I think it is not sterile at least. Dynamic presentation of E8 bring a goodness of music well.
With speaker analogy, the W2002 would be a good old JBL and the Edition8 would be something like a modern Thiel.

E8 and E7/9

I only have Edition7, a sibling of Edition9. A major difference between them is a cable, sounding a bit different but almost same.
Anyway, I've not directory compared E8 to my Edition7 as my E7 has balanced recabled with Drew's Black Dragon.
If memory serves, the sound signature can be similar, though it is different enough at the same time.
I'd say E8 has more refined sound over the frequency spectrum, I meant it is of flat response. Some may say E7/9 has a humped bass or too much bass, I must admit that. However, E8 is not bass humped while the bass response is very nice. Actually even better than W2002. The bass of E8 is deep and punchy.

Cables, Amps

I think there is a room to improve SQ with recabling. In add, 3m(9 feets) recabling would be welcomed for home use.
I guess the driver of E8 is almost perfect but the cable is still a weak chain. E8 is a mass production product anyway. Aftermarket cable manufactures may have a chance here.

As for portable amp selection, I found SR71A and iQube is a good match. When new iQube v2 come out, the combo must be great.
I forget to try E8 with my headroom portable 2007 DAC/Amp + iHP140. This must be awesome.
My favorite combo for Edition 8 is iMod5.5G + ALO SuperCotton + iQube. SuperCotton alleviates some sibilant in the highs. The silver cabling is a good match to the sharp sound of E8.

I wrote that the E8 is a portable, but I should have written that the E8 can be used as portable.
It's beyond portable in many ways.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 142
Great! Thanks Sasaki.

A couple of questions, if you dont mind...

Did you notice if the drivers are angled like the other Ultrasones?

How is the soundstage?

Thanks!!!

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 142
Hi Gu sensei,

Yes, they are angled. Actually more angled than E7/9.
E8 has a good soundstaging, so you will enjoy S-logic advantage from that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! Thanks Sasaki.

A couple of questions, if you dont mind...

Did you notice if the drivers are angled like the other Ultrasones?

How is the soundstage?

Thanks!!!

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 142
Ugh! Just another pipedream for me. It's still nice to read about it. Thanks Sasaki!

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 142
Lucky devil!
beerchug.gif

When are these supposed to be coming out? I remember reading that the Ed8 was going to be priced similar to the HD 800; were you able to confirm this?

Thanks for the review!

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 142
What's the pricing for the ED8?

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 142
Nice review! ..and a lucky dude.
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 142
Great use of the word "sibilant". You rarely see that word in conversation or print. Oh, and great review.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 142
Yes excellent use of the word sibilant, I can't remember seeing it anywhere used so great... weird. Anyway thanks for the great review, I'm actually more interested in this one than in the HD800, am I the only one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back