Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jun 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,517 of 2,605
I thought that OTL amps didn't have H/L impedance selectors. Isn't the Zana Deux SE an OTL amp?

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,518 of 2,605
Quote:
I thought that OTL amps didn't have H/L impedance selectors. Isn't the Zana Deux SE an OTL amp?

Yes it is, one of the few OTL amps that have L/H toggle switch.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #1,519 of 2,605
I've got Mr. Sneis ZD and the bass is a little loose with the TH-900. I gather for a low impedance headphone like the TH-900, I'll need to mod it down to 3 ohm.

However has anyone with the switchable ZDSE tried low and high impedance on a high impedance headphone like the HD800? Theoretically I understand 3 ohm should be more versatile for both low and high impedance headphones but can anyone confirm that theory is true (on the ZDSE specifically)??

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,520 of 2,605
I've got Mr. Sneis ZD and the bass is a little loose with the TH-900. I gather for a low impedance headphone like the TH-900, I'll need to mod it down to 3 ohm.

However has anyone with the switchable ZDSE tried low and high impedance on a high impedance headphone like the HD800? Theoretically I understand 3 ohm should be more versatile for both low and high impedance headphones but can anyone confirm that theory is true (on the ZDSE specifically)??

I thought I had his ZDSE? But maybe you have his ZD... :)

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,521 of 2,605
Quote:

I mainly listen to my TH900 on low output impedance setting (3 ohm), and HD800 on high (12 ohms). The bass can sound a bit loose on the TH900 if the output impedance is high, probably due to a relative lack of damping factor. I've tried both low and high impedance setting with my HD800, and I favor the latter for the HD800. The HD800 with its 300 ohm already provides ensures damping factor, and the extra oomph of the high setting complements the somewhat laid-back and passive nature of the HD800.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #1,522 of 2,605
Quote:
I thought I had his ZDSE? But maybe you have his ZD...
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes. I didn't realise he owned both until recently when doing searches that he sold his ZDSE last year (to you presumably?) and the ZD back in April to me.

Quote:

I mainly listen to my TH900 on low output impedance setting (3 ohm), and HD800 on high (12 ohms). The bass can sound a bit loose on the TH900 if the output impedance is high, probably due to a relative lack of damping factor. I've tried both low and high impedance setting with my HD800, and I favor the latter for the HD800. The HD800 with its 300 ohm already provides ensures damping factor, and the extra oomph of the high setting complements the somewhat laid-back and passive nature of the HD800.

I see. So if I do mod the ZD to 3 ohm, then it could be less ideal with high impedance headphones? The only high impedance headphones I have now is a T50RP mod (into a V-Moda headphone). I guess I don't listen to it that much so maybe modding to 3 ohm exclusively for the TH-900 may still be an acceptable strategic direction for my ZD.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,523 of 2,605
Quote:
I see. So if I do mod the ZD to 3 ohm, then it could be less ideal with high impedance headphones? The only high impedance headphones I have now is a T50RP mod (into a V-Moda headphone). I guess I don't listen to it that much so maybe modding to 3 ohm exclusively for the TH-900 may still be an acceptable strategic direction for my ZD.

If you're using low impedance headphones mostly, then I recommend modding it to 3 ohm. Just make sure the modding is done properly, so that your modded 3-ohm ZD have identical circuitry to ZDSE in low impedance setting. I've tried several other low impedance headphones with my ZDSE, such as Grados and Audio-Technicas, and I always preferred low setting with them.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,528 of 2,605
Quote:
What variety is the ZDT?

I believe ZDT (which stands for Zana Deux Transformer) was a discontinued model which, as its name implies, is a transformer-coupled version of the Zana Deux which is OTL in design. Since it bears a striking resemblance to the current 2A3 model, maybe the ZDT later was upgraded and rebranded as 2A3. Just my guess.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,530 of 2,605
Quote:
My BA with PX-4 is coming in next week. Can't wait to try it.
L3000.gif

Congrats!  Do let us know your impression, comparing to ZDSE.  

Just realize Craig can customize balanced input for the ZDSE with input transformers (not sure if he can offer this anymore).  Anyone has this customization in their built?  Any thought, improved SQ, better than SE, worth it?        

Users who are viewing this thread

Back