Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
May 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,456 of 2,605
Beautiful! Me wants 
size]

May 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,458 of 2,605
Quote:
Thanks for the update!  Don't look now but there is a 2a3 on the FS forums ><

Hehe...I saw that. Way beyond my budget - even the ZDSE was, as such yours :D. And so far I've been following MF's guidance of the ZD pairing nicely to the TH-900. May need to do some research to see if anyone tried the 2a3 with that headphone.

May 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,460 of 2,605
It turns out changing voltage from 120V to 100V isn't so easy. I've asked Craig and initially he provided a procedure indicating which cables to mod but the color coding of the cables he mentioned doesn't match what I see. Since then, he's mentioned that the transformers he use are 120V only. However if I see the scribbles on the side of the transformer (it's a Keen Ocean Toroidal transformer) it seems to indicate from 100V upwards.

I've put up a thread on the DIY asking anyone for experience in this. If anyone knows about Toroidal transformers and dropping voltage from 120V to 100V, your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Note I'm trying to avoid stepdown converters as much as possible.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662381/eddie-current-zana-deux-voltage-step-down-from-120v-to-100v

May 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #1,461 of 2,605
AS I said on your other thread buy a universal variac you can then set the voltage at any level you want including raising the mains voltage above its working level .
                                            All without loss of mains current drive. and they arent dear.

May 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,462 of 2,605
For what it's worth, in the past I've asked a couple of amp makers (Steve Deckert and Jason Stoddard) about step down transformers and their replies both agreed that there should be no detriment by using them. In fact, they both suggested it would be beneficial to eliminating any possible ground loop noise.

May 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #1,464 of 2,605
Has anyone here used their ZDSE to drive IEM's? I think I've read somewhere that ZDSE is good at driving low-impedance high-sensitivity IEM's too, but I can't quite remember. I'm asking this because I've recently ordered a pair of JH13 Pro (which is my first custom IEM), and I wonder whether the ZDSE would be a good match for it.

May 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,466 of 2,605
The stock tubes are not great. Just change the driver tube. There is a thread on tubes for the Zana Deux somewhere as I recall. I use Brimar, Volvo, and Mullard tubes. Don't have info with me now though but they are all NOS of course.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #1,468 of 2,605
HI everyone~

I have a question that I don't know if I can ask here. That is: is there a solid headphone amp's performance close to the ZANA DEUX?
Yes, I have a ZD SE, and I am very enjoy with it. But it's summer time right now, and it's a little hard to turn on such a hot amp.
So, I want to find a solid amp, that might be cooler and also provide great performance like(or close to) the ZD SE.
I don't need turn on the air conditioning just want to listen to the music.Any suggestion?

BTW, my headphones are HD800 and T1.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,469 of 2,605
I just picked up my first SS amp, the GSX v2.  I didn't think I'd ever sell the Zana and still love the Zana but it doesn't make sense to me to keep both and I'm surprised it may be the Zana that goes.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,470 of 2,605
I have a Violectric v200 that I use as ss amp when I don't want to fire up the Zana Deux but it is a step down. If I wanted a comparible I would go for the Luxman P1 or P1u. Those would be a side step instead of a step down, the sound is very nice out of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back