Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Dec 12, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #2,371 of 2,605
To me this looks like mineral deposits. I've had this problem when using an ionizer air purifier. Try rubbing it gently with vinegar. It may come off.

I scratch the chassis by fingernail, it doesn't come off anything.
I'm quite sure it's not dust deposits or something else.
I will figure out another solution, like:repaint with heat resisting paint.

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #2,373 of 2,605
Does anyone who has the Tungsol 6su7gty and Mullard ECC35 tell me which one they prefer with the HD650? The Tungsol is currently my favorite pairing the hd650 and want to know if the ECC35 is worth it.
I have tried using the RCA 5691 but didn't really enjoy the thick sound when paired with the hd650. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2,374 of 2,605
Does anyone who has the Tungsol 6su7gty and Mullard ECC35 tell me which one they prefer with the HD650? The Tungsol is currently my favorite pairing the hd650 and want to know if the ECC35 is worth it.
I have tried using the RCA 5691 but didn't really enjoy the thick sound when paired with the hd650. 

I really like both with the HD650 but prefer the Mullard to all. The RCA 5691 is best suited for something brighter like an HD800. It is unfortunate the Mullards are so ridiculously expensive.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,375 of 2,605
Studio/HD650 and Studio/Utopia.

As there is no EC dealer where I live. I have no way of trying the ZD with my Utopia. As I am in search of a better tube amp for my new Utopia. Both the ZD and Studio Six is of my interest. Can you help to discribe the pairing of either the ZD or Studio with the Utopia?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #2,376 of 2,605
Studio/HD650 and Studio/Utopia.

As there is no EC dealer where I live. I have no way of trying the ZD with my Utopia. As I am in search of a better tube amp for my new Utopia. Both the ZD and Studio Six is of my interest. Can you help to discribe the pairing of either the ZD or Studio with the Utopia?

Thanks in advance.

I said Studio, not Studio Six. I was talking about Eddie Current's flagship amp Studio.
http://www.eddiecurrent.com/Studio.html

The Studio is the ideal amp for HD650. However, I personally feel the ZDS is a better amp for Utopia than Studio is in terms of tonality. The ZDS/Utopia is end-game for sure, in fact the ZDS is the best amp I've heard with the Utopia.

I never got a chance to audition the ZDS or Studio before I bought them. I live in South Korea so no way of trying it here. You just have to take a leap of faith. Luckily, I was very satisfied with both amps for what they did best.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #2,377 of 2,605
songmic In saying that the ZDS is the best you've heard with the Utopia, does this take the ECBA into consideration as well? What made you consider the ZDS over the BA during the time you got yours? Why does the ZDS seem to be more popular than the ECBA (even when the ECBA was still available before)?

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,379 of 2,605
  I am interested in buying a used zana deux. Is there any owner who wants to upgrade zana ? I will make a good offer.

Good idea but it's not an amp that comes up for sale often, few peaople want to sell it. I was foolisch enough once to sell my ZDSE but a few years later I bought a ZDS again.
Best to put up a wanted classified as well.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,381 of 2,605
  @ Liu Junyuan

Did you have a chance to try the Sony TA-ZH1ES?
Or did anyone else?

I had to look it up. No, I am sorry, I have not tried it. I have been trying to avoid any upgrades atm, although Craig's upcoming Studio Jr. has recently piqued my interest.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #2,382 of 2,605
I said Studio, not Studio Six. I was talking about Eddie Current's flagship amp Studio.
http://www.eddiecurrent.com/Studio.html

The Studio is the ideal amp for HD650. However, I personally feel the ZDS is a better amp for Utopia than Studio is in terms of tonality. The ZDS/Utopia is end-game for sure, in fact the ZDS is the best amp I've heard with the Utopia.

I never got a chance to audition the ZDS or Studio before I bought them. I live in South Korea so no way of trying it here. You just have to take a leap of faith. Luckily, I was very satisfied with both amps for what they did best.

I also very much enjoy the Utopia/ZDS pairing. I usually run it with the Mullard driver. Do you happen to recall which driver you preferred, as I recall you being a fan of the RCA 5691 with the likes of the HD800 in the past.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #2,383 of 2,605
  I had to look it up. No, I am sorry, I have not tried it. I have been trying to avoid any upgrades atm, although Craig's upcoming Studio Jr. has recently piqued my interest.

Yeah, same here. Won't be cheap on tubes and tube rolling like the Zana though. I have my doubts about that amp. On the one hand it should be the top (available) EC amp, on the other hand I read opinions that people prefer the Zana with the Utopia and some other cans I like.
I love EC amps and also have the BW which IMO can't be beat at it's price point and even far above it. But I wonder if there will be anything better than the Zana, especially for the cans I like.
I did hear the 4-45 once and wasn't a fan.
So alltogether it makes me wonder if the Studio Jr. would be an upgrade from the Zana for me. Pretty sure it won't be able to replace it, it would be one more amp. :wink:

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,384 of 2,605
@songmic In saying that the ZDS is the best you've heard with the Utopia, does this take the ECBA into consideration as well? What made you consider the ZDS over the BA during the time you got yours? Why does the ZDS seem to be more popular than the ECBA (even when the ECBA was still available before)?

Simple. I haven't heard everything, and ECBA is one of the myriad of amps I have yet to have the pleasure of listening to.

According to people who have heard the BA whose ears I trust, it seems like a better choice than ZDS if I were listening to HD800(S) only as the BA is apparently the warmest and the tubiest sounding of the EC tube amp lineup (not that EC amps are tubey sounding in general, especially compared to overly lush amps such as Woo Audio). At that time, however, I wanted an amp that could drive both HD650 and HD800 equally well, and the BA/HD650 is not really a good match as it might be too warm and lush.

The BA with its Cinemag transformers is said to be superior to ZDS in terms of technicalities, but its warm/lush tone limits its use to neutral-to-bright cans like HD800, and to an extent, Utopia. The ZDS is more popular because it is more versatile, and also more affordable than BA. It is EC's longest-running, signature product after all.

I have a feeling that the BA will also drive Utopia wonderfully too, but resulting in a sound that is warmer, more laid-back and polite than ZDS/Utopia. The ZDS/Utopia's tonality is perfect IMO; not too bright nor dark, not too aggressive but has just the right amount of bite.

I would take ZDS or BA over Studio if my primary headphones were Utopia.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,385 of 2,605
I would take ZDS or BA over Studio if my primary headphones were Utopia.

Having read your very insightful findings on your DAC/amp/headphone shootout, and having said that the ZU is the 3rd best setup, w/ the SU as the 2nd best, you've ever heard, I'm very curious to know why this is for you? Has your opinion/preference changed since?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back