Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Nov 25, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,357 of 2,605
Looks really nice. What other headphones do you use? I'm deciding between the HD 650 or the new Sony MDR Z1R. Gumby and ZDS will be powering them.

I will only ever use one headphone so I wouldn't buy both.

I'm going to use the Focal Utopia and probably retire these 12+ year old HD600s.

I have no idea what the Sony sounds like, and suspect that's a pretty big risk if you've never heard it for yourself.  But you should also state your preferences.  Gumby/ZDS is going to lean warm, and the 650 as well.  A modded 650 could be a good choice if that's the sound signature you're looking for, otherwise perhaps the 600.  Personally I tend to prefer the 650 with slightly more neutral gear.  You could always try to tilt the tonal balance of the ZDS with tubes, but the "reference tube" for this amp is the ECC35 and it's also warm.  A red base 5691 could help there.

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,358 of 2,605
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I just sold my speaker setup. I had harbeth shl5plus which have a smooth tonal balance and the cabinet size really brought out some amazing bass. My amplification was Naim. Although I previously had experience with tube gear and I really like the euphoric sound.

I have tried to audition the Sonys but I can't find a dealer that has them.

I would love the utopia but I don't think I can stretch that far

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #2,359 of 2,605
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I just sold my speaker setup. I had harbeth shl5plus which have a smooth tonal balance and the cabinet size really brought out some amazing bass. My amplification was Naim. Although I previously had experience with tube gear and I really like the euphoric sound.

I have tried to audition the Sonys but I can't find a dealer that has them.

I would love the utopia but I don't think I can stretch that far

650s are likely a safe bet. Definitely mod them, and if you can, try to be sure you don't prefer the 600s over the 650s with a Gumby/ZDS combo.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,360 of 2,605
Well, I’m way overdue with this review. I got my ZDS back in June, and I’ve been enjoying listening to it so much in every spare moment that I’ve never gotten around to sharing my impressions on this thread, which I found so informative in the amp/tube buying process. So, at long last, here are my thoughts:

My ZDS order:

I got the P&G volume pot upgrade and had Craig install a Synergistic Red fuse. Don’t know exactly how much these upgrades helped with the sound as I couldn’t compare side-by-side with a stock ZDS, but I figured since I’m making the investment, I might as well go all-out. I was toying with the idea of getting it in black, but I figured since I was placing the ZDS directly above my just-arrived silver Yggdrasil, I might as well go with the matching silver and save some money for tubes.

General impressions--Look and Feel:

Yup, the silver-top ZDS looks great with my silver Yggy, so I made the right call there.

In terms of “feel,” although the tubes do get scorchingly hot, the body itself isn’t outrageously so. I’ve placed my ZDS only a few inches from my center channel speaker, and I was worried the heat would affect/discolor the finish, but really there’s not much warmth even a few inches away from ZDS body. So that’s good. The volume knob turns very smoothly and feels solid, with a very consistent effect on increase/decrease in volume.

General impressions--Sound:

I’ll mostly cover this in the breakouts for tubes/headphones below, but generally, I’ll just say I’m impressed--it’s worth the money. The things that stand out for me the most are the neutrality and the slam. Both handedly beat the other high-end amps I’ve tried in meets & shows. I was on the fence between the ZDS and a Liquid Crimson, but the Liquid Crimson was just a bit too syrupy  (even with the HD800). The ZDS sounds neutral and fast--it really does give you the best qualities of a solid state amp, but with tube holography and presence. Six months later, I can report absolutely no buyer’s remorse. None. Now, on to the detailed breakouts:

Tube Impressions:

Tung Sol 6SL7GT  (stock): Burned in with the stock tube, then ditched it after only a few cursory listens in favor of the Sophia.

Sophia Electric 6SL7 (Grade A): Noticeable improvement over the stock tube. I liked the Sophia—lots of detail and clarity and good bass. I kept the Sophia in for about a month, but ultimately I felt like there was something missing, especially on the HD650. So I switched to the RCA 5691 Red Base.

RCA 5691 Red Base. AHHHHH! That’s it! A bit smoother and a TON more presence. This tube gave a real sense of solidity to the music—especially with the HD800. And it brought the mids back to their previous prominence on my HD650. I might try upgrading to the Mullard ECC35 at some point, but I’m quite happy with my 5691 for now. By the way, I bought my 5691 from Brent Jessee Recordings & Supply, Inc (audiotubes.com), $80 each. Came in great shape, packed with care.

Headphone Impressions:

Sennhesier HD800 (with SD mod): Man, these sound really great on the ZDS. In terms of high-end amp comparisons, I’ve also heard the HD800s on the Cavalli Liquid Crimson and Sennhesier HDVD 800. The Liquid Crimson was a close second to the ZDS, but, as noted above, it was a bit too syrupy with the HD800 (and even moreso with the HD650). As for the HDVD 800, boy, was I unimpressed with that amp’s paring with the HD800. Very thin, very sterile sounding, lacking in punch. Maybe I heard a bum model (although it was at the Sennheiser dealer’s table at last April’s AXPONA, so that seems unlikely). Anyway, the ZDS with 5691 beat them both. Just a great combination. In terms of mid-fi amps, I also compared the ZDS/HD800 combo to my old amp, the Liquid Carbon, but I only could do so single-ended. Needless to say, they weren’t in the same ballpark--the Liquid Carbon just isn’t that good single-ended. So far, HD800/ZDS/5691 is my go-to combination for about 70% of my listening. Just love it. A match made in heaven. The sense of detail, accuracy, imaging, and spaciousness (!!!) are unbelievable. I particularly like the HD800/ZDS/5691 soundstage on my Blue Note jazz recordings where Rudy Van Gelder would put a trumpet in your left ear, a tenor sax and drum in your right ear, and a piano over your head--with the ZDS/HD800, the sense of spaciousness really blends them together into a coherent soundscape. And the tonality is spot on. As for the lack of low end that many people complain about with the HD800--I only occasionally notice it on the ZDS. Granted, I’m rather a treble-head (more on which below), but with the ZDS/5691, I only rarely find myself wanting for more bass. And the bass articulation is phenomenal. When I do feel like a recording could use a fatter sound or more bass, I switch out my HD800 for the HD650 (see below).

Sennhesier HD650 (unmodded for now, but about to apply take the plunge): These sound very good with the ZDS/5691, but I have to say I didn’t find this pairing to be an “oh wow!” step up over my previous go-to combo of the HD650 with the Liquid Carbon (balanced). Maybe the issue was that I thought the HD650 and the LC worked quite well together, or maybe it was that the sound I was getting from the HD800 with the ZDS was just so good and so perfectly attuned to my particular tastes that the HD650 seemed a little lacking by comparison, even from the ZDS. Either way, the HD650 has been getting a lot less head time than I thought it would with the ZDS. I’m actually about to mod them (removal of rear foam & spider cage, nickel-sized hole in front foam, application of Dynamat dampener) in an attempt to rekindle the love affair. I’ll keep you all posted.

Grado RS1i: Okay, this was the unexpected one. The RS1i was the can that originally sparked my love affair with headphones many years ago, but eventually I abandoned it for all the usual reasons--thinness of tone, flatness of soundstage, lack of bass extension and articulation, etc. Then one day I was listening to Soundgarden’s Superunknown on the HD800/ZDS and the combo just wasn’t doing it for me--it was lacking in authority and power. So I plugged in my HD650s--and found it lacking in immediacy. So, for a kick, I plugged in my RS1i, which had been gathering dust (literally) on top of my CD player. And . . . WOW! This was just the sound I was looking for from Soundgarden. The Grado front-row immediacy was present in spades, but there was also a new sense of SLAM that I hadn’t heard before on the RS1i. To see how far it went, I put on Steely Dan’s “Black Cow” from Aja, and, man, the opening bass riff just jumped out at me. The RS1i had never, ever, ever sounded this good before. I remember reading one review of the amp that said it “kicks like a mule,” and this combo is where I noticed it the most. Now, granted, most of the Grado flaws noted above are still present--particularly the lack of bass articulation. But the new sense of slam makes it so much fun with some genres of music that I really don’t care. If I was to be crude, I guess I’d compare the new bass experience to frantic, hurried sex in the dark--I can’t really tell all that’s going on down there, but it sure is exciting! The ZDS/5691 combo also opens up the soundstage a bit and smooths out the Grado treble, which most folks find rapidly intolerable. In the interests of full disclosure, I should make plain that this was never really an issue for me. I apparently have just a touch more high-frequency hearing loss than is normal for my age (I’m 51 and got tested by an audiologist a few years back), which makes me a something of a treble-head to start with--hence my love of the HD800. Still, the ZDS has brought my Grados back from the dead. I’m not saying these cans are suddenly anywhere close to accurate or coherent, but they sure are FUN now. They’ve become my can of choice again for grunge and heavy metal--that’s not a huge chunk of my playlist, but it’s a nice option to throw on every now and then. So, oddly enough, I have so say that my biggest “wow” moment on the ZDS was with a set of Grados. Go figure.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on long enough--guess I’ve made up for my tardiness with verbosity.

Thanks again to all of the regular posters on this thread--you really helped me when I was trying to figure out what options/tubes to order.

And I’ll keep you all posted on my modding developments.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #2,361 of 2,605
  Well, I’m way overdue with this review. I got my ZDS back in June, and I’ve been enjoying listening to it so much in every spare moment that I’ve never gotten around to sharing my impressions on this thread, which I found so informative in the amp/tube buying process. So, at long last, here are my thoughts:

My ZDS order:

I got the P&G volume pot upgrade and had Craig install a Synergistic Red fuse. Don’t know exactly how much these upgrades helped with the sound as I couldn’t compare side-by-side with a stock ZDS, but I figured since I’m making the investment, I might as well go all-out. I was toying with the idea of getting it in black, but I figured since I was placing the ZDS directly above my just-arrived silver Yggdrasil, I might as well go with the matching silver and save some money for tubes.

General impressions--Look and Feel:

Yup, the silver-top ZDS looks great with my silver Yggy, so I made the right call there.

In terms of “feel,” although the tubes do get scorchingly hot, the body itself isn’t outrageously so. I’ve placed my ZDS only a few inches from my center channel speaker, and I was worried the heat would affect/discolor the finish, but really there’s not much warmth even a few inches away from ZDS body. So that’s good. The volume knob turns very smoothly and feels solid, with a very consistent effect on increase/decrease in volume.

General impressions--Sound:

I’ll mostly cover this in the breakouts for tubes/headphones below, but generally, I’ll just say I’m impressed--it’s worth the money. The things that stand out for me the most are the neutrality and the slam. Both handedly beat the other high-end amps I’ve tried in meets & shows. I was on the fence between the ZDS and a Liquid Crimson, but the Liquid Crimson was just a bit too syrupy  (even with the HD800). The ZDS sounds neutral and fast--it really does give you the best qualities of a solid state amp, but with tube holography and presence. Six months later, I can report absolutely no buyer’s remorse. None. Now, on to the detailed breakouts:

Tube Impressions:

Tung Sol 6SL7GT  (stock): Burned in with the stock tube, then ditched it after only a few cursory listens in favor of the Sophia.

Sophia Electric 6SL7 (Grade A): Noticeable improvement over the stock tube. I liked the Sophia—lots of detail and clarity and good bass. I kept the Sophia in for about a month, but ultimately I felt like there was something missing, especially on the HD650. So I switched to the RCA 5691 Red Base.

RCA 5691 Red Base. AHHHHH! That’s it! A bit smoother and a TON more presence. This tube gave a real sense of solidity to the music—especially with the HD800. And it brought the mids back to their previous prominence on my HD650. I might try upgrading to the Mullard ECC35 at some point, but I’m quite happy with my 5691 for now. By the way, I bought my 5691 from Brent Jessee Recordings & Supply, Inc (audiotubes.com), $80 each. Came in great shape, packed with care.

Headphone Impressions:

Sennhesier HD800 (with SD mod): Man, these sound really great on the ZDS. In terms of high-end amp comparisons, I’ve also heard the HD800s on the Cavalli Liquid Crimson and Sennhesier HDVD 800. The Liquid Crimson was a close second to the ZDS, but, as noted above, it was a bit too syrupy with the HD800 (and even moreso with the HD650). As for the HDVD 800, boy, was I unimpressed with that amp’s paring with the HD800. Very thin, very sterile sounding, lacking in punch. Maybe I heard a bum model (although it was at the Sennheiser dealer’s table at last April’s AXPONA, so that seems unlikely). Anyway, the ZDS with 5691 beat them both. Just a great combination. In terms of mid-fi amps, I also compared the ZDS/HD800 combo to my old amp, the Liquid Carbon, but I only could do so single-ended. Needless to say, they weren’t in the same ballpark--the Liquid Carbon just isn’t that good single-ended. So far, HD800/ZDS/5691 is my go-to combination for about 70% of my listening. Just love it. A match made in heaven. The sense of detail, accuracy, imaging, and spaciousness (!!!) are unbelievable. I particularly like the HD800/ZDS/5691 soundstage on my Blue Note jazz recordings where Rudy Van Gelder would put a trumpet in your left ear, a tenor sax and drum in your right ear, and a piano over your head--with the ZDS/HD800, the sense of spaciousness really blends them together into a coherent soundscape. And the tonality is spot on. As for the lack of low end that many people complain about with the HD800--I only occasionally notice it on the ZDS. Granted, I’m rather a treble-head (more on which below), but with the ZDS/5691, I only rarely find myself wanting for more bass. And the bass articulation is phenomenal. When I do feel like a recording could use a fatter sound or more bass, I switch out my HD800 for the HD650 (see below).

Sennhesier HD650 (unmodded for now, but about to apply take the plunge): These sound very good with the ZDS/5691, but I have to say I didn’t find this pairing to be an “oh wow!” step up over my previous go-to combo of the HD650 with the Liquid Carbon (balanced). Maybe the issue was that I thought the HD650 and the LC worked quite well together, or maybe it was that the sound I was getting from the HD800 with the ZDS was just so good and so perfectly attuned to my particular tastes that the HD650 seemed a little lacking by comparison, even from the ZDS. Either way, the HD650 has been getting a lot less head time than I thought it would with the ZDS. I’m actually about to mod them (removal of rear foam & spider cage, nickel-sized hole in front foam, application of Dynamat dampener) in an attempt to rekindle the love affair. I’ll keep you all posted.

Grado RS1i: Okay, this was the unexpected one. The RS1i was the can that originally sparked my love affair with headphones many years ago, but eventually I abandoned it for all the usual reasons--thinness of tone, flatness of soundstage, lack of bass extension and articulation, etc. Then one day I was listening to Soundgarden’s Superunknown on the HD800/ZDS and the combo just wasn’t doing it for me--it was lacking in authority and power. So I plugged in my HD650s--and found it lacking in immediacy. So, for a kick, I plugged in my RS1i, which had been gathering dust (literally) on top of my CD player. And . . . WOW! This was just the sound I was looking for from Soundgarden. The Grado front-row immediacy was present in spades, but there was also a new sense of SLAM that I hadn’t heard before on the RS1i. To see how far it went, I put on Steely Dan’s “Black Cow” from Aja, and, man, the opening bass riff just jumped out at me. The RS1i had never, ever, ever sounded this good before. I remember reading one review of the amp that said it “kicks like a mule,” and this combo is where I noticed it the most. Now, granted, most of the Grado flaws noted above are still present--particularly the lack of bass articulation. But the new sense of slam makes it so much fun with some genres of music that I really don’t care. If I was to be crude, I guess I’d compare the new bass experience to frantic, hurried sex in the dark--I can’t really tell all that’s going on down there, but it sure is exciting! The ZDS/5691 combo also opens up the soundstage a bit and smooths out the Grado treble, which most folks find rapidly intolerable. In the interests of full disclosure, I should make plain that this was never really an issue for me. I apparently have just a touch more high-frequency hearing loss than is normal for my age (I’m 51 and got tested by an audiologist a few years back), which makes me a something of a treble-head to start with--hence my love of the HD800. Still, the ZDS has brought my Grados back from the dead. I’m not saying these cans are suddenly anywhere close to accurate or coherent, but they sure are FUN now. They’ve become my can of choice again for grunge and heavy metal--that’s not a huge chunk of my playlist, but it’s a nice option to throw on every now and then. So, oddly enough, I have so say that my biggest “wow” moment on the ZDS was with a set of Grados. Go figure.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on long enough--guess I’ve made up for my tardiness with verbosity.

Thanks again to all of the regular posters on this thread--you really helped me when I was trying to figure out what options/tubes to order.

And I’ll keep you all posted on my modding developments.

I agree with you on all points but have a suggestion for the HD650 (more below). The HD800/ZDS/RCA 5691 pairing is very good--grand, layered, dynamic, luxurious. I also tried the Grado RS2e from the ZDS, and yep, that was another excellent pairing. Unfortunately, to afford Utopias, I had to sell the Grado, but of all the ones I have tried, that was my favorite from their lineup, and the pairing with ZDS was the best I have heard from a Grado.

As for the HD650 pairing, I do not feel in my experience the RCA tube is suitable; this tube is more suitable for brighter headphones like the HD800/Grado/Fostex TH-900/Beyers, etc. The Mullard ECC35 is really what brings the HD650 up the next level for me (and for the Utopia, too). Also, it is imperative that you use high gain for the HD650 to benefit from the 20 ohm output impedance, if you were not doing that already. As you said, modding is also something to consider, but I still like the stock with the ZDS. In the event that you are using the RCA 5691, however, the unmodded HD650 is going to sound relatively muddy and flat. If there was one mod to perform on the HD650, it would be the highly reversible application of dynamat to the rear side of the driver. This increases resolution and focus while tightening up the bass considerably.

The P&G pot is an upgrad I opted for as well, and it is indeed extremely smooth and precise. I also went with silver and do not regret my choice, as I have an Yggy, and I like the look of the silver with clear coating on its own. You are in a different playing field with the fuse. I stupidly dismissed this possible upgrade and am now coming to the realization it might be important.

Finally, despite what I said about the Mullard, I admire your refusal to get caught up in the trap of tube rolling so common in this hobby, to listen carefully to what you have and purchase intentionally and tactfully. If a Mullard does pop up for a decent price, you may want to grab one, though :)

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #2,362 of 2,605

I agree with you on all points but have a suggestion for the HD650 (more below). The HD800/ZDS/RCA 5691 pairing is very good--grand, layered, dynamic, luxurious. I also tried the Grado RS2e from the ZDS, and yep, that was another excellent pairing. Unfortunately, to afford Utopias, I had to sell the Grado, but of all the ones I have tried, that was my favorite from their lineup, and the pairing with ZDS was the best I have heard from a Grado.

As for the HD650 pairing, I do not feel in my experience the RCA tube is suitable; this tube is more suitable for brighter headphones like the HD800/Grado/Fostex TH-900/Beyers, etc. The Mullard ECC35 is really what brings the HD650 up the next level for me (and for the Utopia, too). Also, it is imperative that you use high gain for the HD650 to benefit from the 20 ohm output impedance, if you were not doing that already. As you said, modding is also something to consider, but I still like the stock with the ZDS. In the event that you are using the RCA 5691, however, the unmodded HD650 is going to sound relatively muddy and flat. If there was one mod to perform on the HD650, it would be the highly reversible application of dynamat to the rear side of the driver. This increases resolution and focus while tightening up the bass considerably.

The P&G pot is an upgrad I opted for as well, and it is indeed extremely smooth and precise. I also went with silver and do not regret my choice, as I have an Yggy, and I like the look of the silver with clear coating on its own. You are in a different playing field with the fuse. I stupidly dismissed this possible upgrade and am now coming to the realization it might be important.

Finally, despite what I said about the Mullard, I admire your refusal to get caught up in the trap of tube rolling so common in this hobby, to listen carefully to what you have and purchase intentionally and tactfully. If a Mullard does pop up for a decent price, you may want to grab one, though :)

You can still install the fuse Liu, you only need to pop out the old one and plugin the one you want.
I have a HiFi-Tuning Supreme 3 Slow-Blow Fuse installed for example.
Not sure about the difference it makes though, it's a bit hard comparing.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #2,363 of 2,605
Liu Junyuan:

Thanks for the kind words.

But . . . like . . . you preceded “I admire your refusal to get caught up in the trap of tube rolling” with “The Mullard ECC35 is really what brings the HD650 up the next level.” How in the world am I supposed to maintain my resistance in the face of such a comment?! :rotf  Must purchase . . . NOW!!!

No, seriously, I’m sure I’ll wait until after the holidays.

Maybe.

We’ll see.

As for the suggestion to switch to high gain—yes, foolishly, I didn’t try that until I had already rolled out the Sophia for the 5691, and now I’ve, uh, taken some drastic steps with my HD650:

Yeah, I’m midway through the modding process, so I’ll have to wait till it’s finished to test it out on high gain with the Sophia. I just can’t seem to find the time to do the tricky parts (coin hole in front foam, application of Dynamat to rear/magnet). So it’s been disassembled on a slab of cardboard for about three weeks. :lol

But the advice about high gain is really spot on. With past amps, high gain always sounded forced and unnatural to me, so I had just come to avoid it. With the ZDS and the Senns, however, I found that you really do need to switch to high gain—it just sounds so much better. Much more “filled out” and impactful, but still natural. Hell, my Grados also sound better on high gain with the ZDS, although it’s probably overkill on those headphones (then again, “overkill” is the larger part of the Grado charm).

Anyway, when I do find the time to finish the HD650 mod and try it out on high gain with both the 5691 and the Sophia, I’ll post my impressions.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,364 of 2,605
If you have a chance, don't forget to give the Sophia a try in a preamp setting. The ZD is invaluable as a preamp in my system and I was blown away by the improvement when I first tried it. The Sophia works best for my speaker setup.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,365 of 2,605
  Does anyone have the ZD over three years?

May I have some pictures about your amp?

Because I have to sell the ZDSE recently, when I sent the amp's pictures to the buyers, they think my amp's case condition is not quit well.

They think the case color shouldn't fade so bad.

But I know the amp's temperature is so hot, this situation is almost unavoidable.

I can't find any picture which can support my opinion. 

May I have your help? That will be very appreciate.

http://3.share.photo.xuite.net/d8754278/136676d/5808826/1145304243_x.jpg?1479650838607

That looks like anodizing failure, or maybe it was cleaned with some harsh chemical.  I don't  think anything can be done easily; the shop that finished it from the get go likely just did a bad or negligent job. You could maybe separate that part of the chassis from the top plate and get it re-finished but you will lose all the original screen printing. I don't remember what causes it but it is not the operating temperature of the amp, my ZD is from the original run and it seems to be fine though it has the glossy dress plate over the face.

Historically similar has happened to some EC Super 7's, RSA Dark Stars, many old Melos amps; all black aluminum chassis'.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,366 of 2,605

That looks like anodizing failure, or maybe it was cleaned with some harsh chemical.  I don't  think anything can be done easily; the shop that finished it from the get go likely just did a bad or negligent job. You could maybe separate that part of the chassis from the top plate and get it re-finished but you will lose all the original screen printing. I don't remember what causes it but it is not the operating temperature of the amp, my ZD is from the original run and it seems to be fine though it has the glossy dress plate over the face.

Historically similar has happened to some EC Super 7's, RSA Dark Stars, many old Melos amps; all black aluminum chassis'.

Your opinion is very valuable. Thank you.

I really don't think it's a anodizing failure problem before, but it seems I have a bad luck. Maybe I should mail to Craig discuss this situation is in warranty or not.

ZD SE is really an outstanding amp, I don't want to drop the price because this panel's issue.

Maybe I will keep it after all.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,368 of 2,605
My Zana Deux failed to play last night.
I haven't played it for over a month and yesterday the rectifier tubes didn't glow.
I quickly changed them with the spares but same issue.
Do you guys know what could be the problem.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,369 of 2,605
My Zana Deux failed to play last night.
I haven't played it for over a month and yesterday the rectifier tubes didn't glow.
I quickly changed them with the spares but same issue.
Do you guys know what could be the problem.

Check the power cord pin connection. I had the same issue with rectifiers not glowing and it turned out to be the power cord pins came out of their sockets due to too much rotation of the cord that connects to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back