Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Feb 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #946 of 2,605
Hi Alex, I'm not sure if you followed the thread regarding the Micro amp that is being labeled as an Eddie Current product (but Craig was unaware of)) I think it would be best if you contacted Craig himself regarding the schematics.
I see that you're new to headfi and this is normally a very generous place but I think you'll find that most of us Zana owners are a little protective of our favorite builder and seeing the recent problems with alleged misuse of his companies properties, I hope that my fellow owners will follow my example and graciously decline.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #947 of 2,605
Hi Ironbut!

Thanks for the reply - yes i followed tread about Micro amp and have possibilities to listen to this amp - complete garbage amp imho-no any camparison to Zana Deux .I also contact people who sell this amp in Russia and exchange some E-mails with them with very unpleasant result.I understand protective position of the owners of this amp and now am posting my apologies to Craig personally for been misunderstanded in this question.I am building tube HP amp with the almost same design with 6c33c tubes for my personal use ONLY and dont even have an idea to clone ZD amp or use Craigs trade mark.Unfortunately i dont have possibilities to purchase ZD amp by personal economic reasons.My apologies for misunderstanding and my not correct question .With respect to Craig personally and all Head-Fi members .Best regards.A.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #948 of 2,605
Received my Zana Deux last night only to get home and find my 500 GB external hard drive with almost all my music dead, ouch. Did a very short listen ABX with my xcan/xpsu. I am really used to that sound and thus the Zana sound was not as warm and a bit analytical but with a lot more detail and layers. Like I said I had only a little time so nothing definative yet. It is the first out I believe, of the current run.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #949 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my Zana Deux last night only to get home and find my 500 GB external hard drive with almost all my music dead, ouch. Did a very short listen ABX with my xcan/xpsu. I am really used to that sound and thus the Zana sound was not as warm and a bit analytical but with a lot more detail and layers. Like I said I had only a little time so nothing definative yet. It is the first out I believe, of the current run.

CONGRATULATIONS! Listening to mine right now with RS-1's. The RS-1's seem to liven my system up compared to listening with the HD-650's. Although the HD-650's sound great as well.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #950 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CONGRATULATIONS! Listening to mine right now with RS-1's. The RS-1's seem to liven my system up compared to listening with the HD-650's. Although the HD-650's sound great as well.

I'm not home yet but I'm curious after my quick listen-discribe your take on the bass.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #951 of 2,605
Still got my Zana Deux, still think it's a top-notch amp & preamp - actually even better, now that I finally replaced the well-worn 6c33c tubes with a new pair of 1960s vintage 6c18c. Also, I've long since replaced that Sylvania 6sl7 with a brown-base Tung-Sol 6su7.

Sound quality is exquisitely accurate & musical. The Zana doesn't fall into the camp of "tube" or "SS" sound; it's just damn fine sound.

I love the Zana's aesthetic style, I think it's the most beautiful piece of audio gear I've come across besides the extraordinary exception of certain models in the Tannoy Prestige speaker lineup.

mulveling-albums-zana-deux-picture507-dsc-0208.jpg

mulveling-albums-zana-deux-picture506-dsc-0206.jpg

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #952 of 2,605
I listened more last night, yes very detailed clean pure sound. Super fast response and quiet backdrop. I didn't listen too loud but after an hour or so I did notice some fatigue. I may eventually have to look toward a darker sounding tube but I am still in test mode, haven't even gotten it over to the mid fi to put it in line as a preamp or use more than my computer-dacmagic source.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #953 of 2,605
Hi, my Zana Deux should be arriving soon (2weeks-ish), and now I see Makl has launched Lawton Audio, and I REALLY want to try or keep the LA7000, his fully modded, woodied and recabled Denon AHD7000. That's a 25 Ohm impedance headphone. Both Craig at Eddie Current and Mark at Lawtonaudio are unsure how the phone will perform with the Zana. I already have a KGBHSE on order for my Omegas and can't imagine finding money and space for a 3rd headphone amp at this point, unless it is good enough to replace the Zana Deux.
Has anyone tried a 25 Ohm phone, ESPECIALLY the Denon 7000, with the Zana Deux? If there are problems with this combo, can I fix it with attainable/affordable tubes or by any other means?
Thanks for any thoughts on this. I really need to find some excellent closed phones, but will probably keep at least one to three open phones
wink_face.gif
It'd be a shame to have to rule out the LA7000 because of impedance.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #954 of 2,605
I have DX1000s and seem they work fairly well, not quite as good as the Senn HD650s. I am now back to the Senns more with this amp, previously i had been on the others for a stint. The suggestion is not to use headphones under 30 ohms so i don't know, you can try the DX1000s. They are 70 ohm i believe. Good luck.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #955 of 2,605
One tube you can use that will help with difficult loads is the 6C33C that has the big "Y" on the label (instead of the kinda upside down smaller Y). It has a different plate material and produces higher dampening. My K701's really woke up when I switched those tubes. Impedance isn't all there is to driving a transducer properly, it can also depends on suspension or loading (horns) and with open air headphones there essentially isn't any. This makes them less efficient where a closed headphone does have a suspension so, at least in theory, it should be easier to drive than an open air transducer with the same impedance.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #958 of 2,605
Well his Supra and SDS are gone and the Zana remains
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #959 of 2,605
I run a 25 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT48 on my Zana. It does fine - plenty of power, great sound and no trouble at all. This is one of my favorite listening combinations and they're great together. I don't know how a D7000 will react, but hopefully they'll match as well as the DT48 does.

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #960 of 2,605
Mulveling, your Zana looks much prettier than the ones on Eddie Current's site, mine should be shipping Weds. The pics I usually see look charcoal grey. From the photos, yours has a violet/rusty hue to it. Is that cause it's last years make? It's probably too late for me to pick a color anyway. Yours is the first picture of this already attractive amp that really floored me with it's looks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still got my Zana Deux, still think it's a top-notch amp & preamp - actually even better, now that I finally replaced the well-worn 6c33c tubes with a new pair of 1960s vintage 6c18c. Also, I've long since replaced that Sylvania 6sl7 with a brown-base Tung-Sol 6su7.

Sound quality is exquisitely accurate & musical. The Zana doesn't fall into the camp of "tube" or "SS" sound; it's just damn fine sound.

I love the Zana's aesthetic style, I think it's the most beautiful piece of audio gear I've come across besides the extraordinary exception of certain models in the Tannoy Prestige speaker lineup.

mulveling-albums-zana-deux-picture507-dsc-0208.jpg

mulveling-albums-zana-deux-picture506-dsc-0206.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back