Eddie Current Balancing Act
Jan 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #961 of 1,499
Anyone else using the KR 842 tubes/valves? I have a pair of these also along with a pair of KR PX4's.

Reading through the recent posts on this thread it seems there has been some further evolution to using KR 25's as well. To be able to use the KR25's do you need some special adapter as well? I haven't looked beyond what i have already got. I own alot of the 6SN7 variant driver tubes but only a pair of KR PX4 & KR 842 as power tubes. I don't currently own any actual 300B tubes.

What actual combo's exist these days?

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #962 of 1,499

Quote:
    Yes I mean the globe type PX25 by Marconi , Osram.   Good to hear that.   I may ask Craig to send me those before the super7 if the wait of super7 is longer than expected.

You'll need to mod your BA to use them. I assume you have adapters too for PX25 to the teflon UX-4 sockets?

Reading through the recent posts on this thread it seems there has been some further evolution to using KR 25's as well. To be able to use the KR25's do you need some special adapter as well? 

I thought the KR PX25 came in the UX-4 (300B style) pin layout, just like the KR PX4s.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #964 of 1,499
Make your own B4/B5 (PX25) - UX4 (300B) adapters. Or have someone do it for you.

Parts needed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Teflon-5pin-Tube-Socket-Gold-Pin-B4-B5-PX25-PX4-ML4-/320701714621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aab4fd0bd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pin-Tube-Base-GOLD-Ceramic-Socket-U4A-300B-2PC-811R-/250733210572?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a60dd2bcc

Solder wires according to this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/583302/px25-to-300b-adapter-need-help-to-confirm-pins

Fill inside with epoxy. Definitely not a fun project. Better than the Yamamoto combo sockets where it's so easy to make a mistake, i.e. "boom"

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #966 of 1,499
It says more than 10 available, but the guy is on vacation (probably lunar new year) until the 1/31/2012.

BTW, the BA will need to be modded... easy mods though.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #968 of 1,499

Quote:
It says more than 10 available, but the guy is on vacation (probably lunar new year) until the 1/31/2012.

BTW, the BA will need to be modded... easy mods though.

Can you describe these mods if you don't mind please?

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #969 of 1,499
I'm curious about everyone's preferred phones with the BA as well -- and if you have favorite headphones by genre all the better.  I'm using the LCD-2 rev. 2 and the ATH-W3000ANV -- both are consistently good, occasionally wow, but I find myself listening to my Stax setup more and more (other than for hard rock, e.g., Tool).  Having used the EML 300B Mesh for a few weeks I also can now say that I prefer the KR PX4 -- the PX4s are a tad more three-dimensional and have provided a few more wow moments for me, though YMMV.   

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #971 of 1,499
Love the lcdr2 with the BA. It also was one of the only tube amps that I tried that made my la7000 sound good. I should know in about a week how the lcd3 fair.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #973 of 1,499
Hey guys! New BA owner. I just picked up a BA with the KR PX-4s at Craig's house about a couple weeks ago. I'm very lucky to live close to him as I got to seriously audition it before purchasing it, and Craig was very helpful and welcoming.

So anyway, and without getting into how the BA sounds in general, here are my first impressions in comparing headphones:

LCD-3 (balanced, q-audio cable): My personal favorite as it covers the entire frequency spectrum better than the others. No region sounds under or overrepresented. For all electronic or rock music, or any other relatively intense genre, without any doubt, this is the king. Every genre, however, sounds amazing. It also sounds like the most natural/analog of the pack. The soundstage is second only to the HD800s, though very close to the HE-6s. It's only discernable weakness seems to be a slight lack in center focus (not the BA's fault). Despite that, it's hard to imagine anyone complaining about the sound of this combo. It is definitely the best sound I've ever heard. 

LCD-2 R1 (balanced stock cable): Haven't used it quite enough to make specific statements because I prefer the LCD-3. I do appreciate that it is less fatiguing at higher volumes due to its limited treble relative to the LCD-3s. If I had never listened to the LCD-3s, I doubt I would have much, if anything, to complain about this combo.

HD800 (SE stock cable): When I want the largest soundstage, best imaging, and/or prefer a slight reduction in bass impact, I grab these. As expected, these are the best for classical, jazz, or otherwise anything else acoustic. Most notably, the soundstage on this combo is ridiculous and easily surpasses the others in size and shape, providing a completely immersive experience (and I am soundstage obsessed). The HD800 definitely does not sound too bright. I would, however, like to try the HD800 with a balanced cable. I'm curious why or how some others found the combo unsatisfying.

HE-6 (balanced, stock cable): Although the HE-6/BA combo sounds very good on many tracks, I do not believe that the BA is optimal for the HE-6. To be picky, it sounds a bit thin, or lacking in the lower regions of the spectrum. The BA manages to cure the HD800's propensity to sounding thin, but not quite on the HE-6. Just to clarify, this is not a volume issue. When my DAC is set at around zero gain, the volume can be painfully high around 3 o'clock, with 9.5 db of gain for the DAC to spare. Again, however, the combo does sound very good. It's just not as good as the rest IMO. The LCD-3 seems to do everything better with slightly less treble presence. (this is an initial impression so it may change)

In sum, I tend to listen to LCD-3s and HD800s the most, and switch depending on the music (in general, LCD-3 for electronic, and HD800 for acoustic). The two are very complementary.

To clarify, every headphone I've heard sounds amazing on the BA. These comments are simply relative.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #974 of 1,499
@Moostrkraaft
    I share the same opinion that BA is excellent with all the dynamic and orthodynamic headphones that
I have except those of HE6 and AKG K1000.  While the BA can drive those HE6 and AKG K1000 loud enough
with the output from my Weiss DAC202 at 8.4 V, it is not as good as the speaker post adapter or my balanced
beta 22 with high gain.

I would, however, like to try the HD800 with a balanced cable. I'm curious why or how some others
found the combo unsatisfying.
    I use the HD800 with gold clad Zeus Aphrodite cable with great result.  No modification here.
    I also find great result with the LCD3 using the 6SL7's as driver : ECC35, Valvo 6SL7GT, Ken Rad VT229 etc
better than the 6SN7's , the veil of the LCD3 are more open.

I am asking Craig to try the Sylvania VT 52 on Balancing Act to see if the BA can drive the HE6 or AKG K1000 better.
I  still don't have any experience using the PX25 , waiting for the parts of B4/UX4 adapters.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #975 of 1,499

Quote:
@Moostrkraaft
    I share the same opinion that BA is excellent with all the dynamic and orthodynamic headphones that
I have except those of HE6 and AKG K1000.  While the BA can drive those HE6 and AKG K1000 loud enough
with the output from my Weiss DAC202 at 8.4 V, it is not as good as the speaker post adapter or my balanced
beta 22 with high gain.

I would, however, like to try the HD800 with a balanced cable. I'm curious why or how some others
found the combo unsatisfying.
    I use the HD800 with gold clad Zeus Aphrodite cable with great result.  No modification here.
    I also find great result with the LCD3 using the 6SL7's as driver : ECC35, Valvo 6SL7GT, Ken Rad VT229 etc
better than the 6SN7's , the veil of the LCD3 are more open.

I am asking Craig to try the Sylvania VT 52 on Balancing Act to see if the BA can drive the HE6 or AKG K1000 better.
I  still don't have any experience using the PX25 , waiting for the parts of B4/UX4 adapters.

Thanks for the comments. I briefly tried some 6SL7 while I was at Craig's place (I don't know specifically which one), but I can't speak to any difference because I didn't A/B the 6SN7 directly with the 6SL7. After a few minutes at home with the BA, my memory of the sound at the audition started to fade quickly. Craig recommended the 6SL7 for being great sounding at a low price. A nice 6SL7 with the adapter will certainly be next on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back