Eddie Current Balancing Act
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #946 of 1,499
I thought that the equinox cable only made a mild improvment. It might make a better difference if you dont have clean power though. I am feeding mine with a power regenerator.

If you want a good dac for your ba, take a look at a ayon skylla. It has good synergy with my setup. They arent to bad to buy if you can find one used.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #947 of 1,499
Thanks guys!!
I'll hold of on tha DAC and the SAA cable for now. Need to get an LCD-3 and don't have enough moolah!

Craig has suggested two upgrades:
The 10K Penny & Giles volume pot
The KR PX4 tubes 
I'm going ahead with both!

I am in love with my Stingray and wanted something equally good if not better. Which was the reason I went ahead with the BA.
The Stingray uses 8xEL84 & 2x12AT7
Anybody have experience with EL84 & 12AT7s and how the 300B compares/compliments these tubes

Thanks again!

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #948 of 1,499
I don't know about the PX25 upgrade right now but am considering that
when I have the PX25 Marconi (globe).  The KR PX25 should be more available.
@Shahzada : I saw from your profile that you have excellent headphones collection
including the difficult to drive AKG K100 and HE6 which I found that the BA may
have difficulty driving . I can manage that by changing the output of the Weiss DAC202,
however I think that the PX25 may be better driving thoses cans, anybody have experience
on that KR PX25?

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #949 of 1,499

Quote:
Thanks guys!!
I'll hold of on tha DAC and the SAA cable for now. Need to get an LCD-3 and don't have enough moolah!

Craig has suggested two upgrades:
The 10K Penny & Giles volume pot
The KR PX4 tubes 
I'm going ahead with both!

Listen to Craig. He has good ears.

Quote:
@Shahzada : I saw from your profile that you have excellent headphones collection
have difficulty driving . I can manage that by changing the output of the Weiss DAC202,
however I think that the PX25 may be better driving thoses cans, anybody have experience
on that KR PX25?

It sounds like what you are saying is that the BA needs more gain for K1000s and HE6. The PX25 (and I think the 6SL7 as a driver) gives you more gain (but at the expense of possibly more audible noise with highly sensitive headphones if you have any noisy tubes.)

I do not like the KR PX25. Superb treble detail, extremely clean, but very clinical and lacks the richness of the PX4. They do not sound like the vintage globe PX25s. It depends upon the application though.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #950 of 1,499
It sounds like what you are saying is that the BA needs more gain for K1000s and HE6. The PX25 (and I think the 6SL7 as a driver) gives you more gain (but at the expense of possibly more audible noise with highly sensitive headphones if you have any noisy tubes.)
    Yes I have to adjust the output of the Weiss Dac 202 to 4.15 V in order to drive the AKG K1000, HE6 adequately (I haven't compare
those to the speaker post yet).   Thanks for the info that the KR PX25 's are more analytical, how's about your Marconi PX25 and do they have noise?
     I think I will try  several  6SL7's with the PX25's if I get them (hopefully in February along with the super7).  I found Philips Pope ECC35 or Tungsol 6SU7GTY are very good with the BA (without PX25's) without noises, may be I will try those with the PX25's.  I will not use those with high sensitive can like RS1 Grado but will use with the HE6 or K1000 to see how they're doing.   I have asked Craig about the 6SL7's with the BA and he said that I could try those and he did not think that will be a problem .  However he precautioned the 6SL7's with the Super 7

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #951 of 1,499

Quote:
on that KR PX25?

Thank you.
The K1000 & the HE-6 are driven from the speaker taps of both, my Denson B150 Integrated (100wpc @ 8 ohms) & the Manley Stingray iTube and am very happy with either.
The LCD-2s are another great match with the Stingray.
The HD 800(Blue Dragon balance) sounds very sweet with the WA22.

I was looking for something special for my Grados, especially the HP1000s & PS1000.
According to Craig the BA is the best amp for the PS1000!!
Can't get a better recommendation than that, so now the wait begins...

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #952 of 1,499
I was looking for something special for my Grados, especially the HP1000s & PS1000.
    You do have excellent  and well thought setup for each headphones that you have in your collections.
    If you  love Grado's, you may also want to search for the PS1. BA can drive PS1, HP1, HP2, PS1000 really well.
    I saw that you already have the bloodwood (Martin custom audio?) Symphones V4 that also works very well with the
BA.  Symphones magnum V3.5 may be a little bit better for rock and pop music while the RS1 vintage
has a mellow mid that you may consider  but may be too sensitive with the BA.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #953 of 1,499

Quote:
    You do have excellent  and well thought setup for each headphones that you have in your collections.
    If you  love Grado's, you may also want to search for the PS1. BA can drive PS1, HP1, HP2, PS1000 really well.
    I saw that you already have the bloodwood (Martin custom audio?) Symphones V4 that also works very well with the
BA.  Symphones magnum V3.5 may be a little bit better for rock and pop music while the RS1 vintage
has a mellow mid that you may consider  but may be too sensitive with the BA.

Thanks for the kind words.
I owe it entirely to head-fi and fellow headfiers.

After a long and hard search, I have managed to get hold of a PS1hybrid. PS1 headphones with HP 2 drivers.
But am still on the hunt and hopefully someday get a pair...
Any pointers anyone....
wink_face.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #954 of 1,499

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words.
I owe it entirely to head-fi and fellow headfiers.

After a long and hard search, I have managed to get hold of a PS1hybrid. PS1 headphones with HP 2 drivers.

You didn't get those from LFF did you? Those are very unique and awesome.

Marconi PX25 and do they have noise?

I assume you are talking about the globe glass PX25s (Marconi, Osram, various other brands etc.) with a certain plate structure? No those don't sound clinical at all. Silky treble (it seems to fix all treble issues), explosively dynamic bass. Sounded EXCELLENT with either HD800 (modded) or LCD2r2.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #955 of 1,499
The BA can handle higher voltage input. My Skylla output is switchable between 4,6,& 9v output. I have tried the different input  voltages on the BA with the k1000. While it did make it louder, it didnt make it sound any better. I didnt think the k1000 was a good match with it. I think I got about a 3 - 4 db boost in sound with every bump up in voltage measured with my spl meter.

Also the 6sl7 has more gain if you want to use them. They run just fine. I have tried many 6sl7 and they all have a nice warm signature to them. I havent wanted to go back to 6sn7 since I have found the 6sl7/ecc35.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #956 of 1,499
I found the 6SN7 -> 6F8G adapter on ebay.  Look for ceramic base with gold leads if you can find it.  The NOS Tung-sols and Raytheons have great synergy with T-1s, HD6xx, HD800, D7000s, etc on the BA.

Also, the Equinox from SAA is outdated.  The new Endorphin - when you get the complete system, meaning headphone cable, umbilical, interconnect and power - provides the SINGLE GREATEST upgrade I have ever made to any component period.  It is not a question of CLEAN POWER at all.  People often throw a cable on a pair of phones and expect miracles.  The synergy of the ENTIRE SYSTEM has to be taken into consideration.  SAA also makes power strips now too -- another HUGE upgrade to sound.   I guarantee if you go SAA from plug to ears to you cannot find a better upgrade.  Anyway...

I personally prefer the sound of the PX4s over the 300Bs but often swap them out because I actually like changing the sound around on all my systems.  Tubes, components, headphones - infinite possibilities and sometimes you stumble on a winning combination.  But it would sad to me to stop there. 

I also have the P&G pot.  It's great.  Good move...

Cheers

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #957 of 1,499
Interesting concept with the ribbon geometry of the power umbilical. I'm going to have to hit my wire sources and DIY my own to try out.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #958 of 1,499

Quote:

You didn't get those from LFF did you? Those are very unique and awesome.

Yes, those very ones, though I haven't got them as yet. Should arrive in about a week

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #959 of 1,499
The BA can handle higher voltage input. My Skylla output is switchable between 4,6,& 9v output. I have tried the different input  voltages on the BA with the k1000. While it did make it louder, it didnt make it sound any better. I didnt think the k1000 was a good match with it. I think I got about a 3 - 4 db boost in sound with every bump up in voltage measured with my spl meter
    I agree with you on that.  Have you tried the ECC35 and other 6SL7's on that too , do they help?   I think I may have to go back to speaker post setup.

I assume you are talking about the globe glass PX25s (Marconi, Osram, various other brands etc.) with a certain plate structure? No those don't sound clinical at all. Silky treble (it seems to fix all treble issues), explosively dynamic bass. Sounded EXCELLENT with either HD800 (modded) or LCD2r2.
    Yes I mean the globe type PX25 by Marconi , Osram.   Good to hear that.   I may ask Craig to send me those before the super7 if the wait of super7 is longer than expected.

The new Endorphin - when you get the complete system, meaning headphone cable, umbilical, interconnect and power - provides the SINGLE GREATEST upgrade I have ever made to any component period

Mine (power cable, umbilical cord) are also Endorphin, may be I will try the LCD3 cable .  do you think they are better than the ALO salt and pepper?

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #960 of 1,499

Quote:
Yes, those very ones, though I haven't got them as yet. Should arrive in about a week

Wow, he sold them!  They are fabulous sounding.  If you like the HP2/HP1000 signature you'll love those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back