Eddie Current Balancing Act
Jan 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #932 of 1,499

Quote:
run each as bridged monoblocks.

Oh I remember Craig's opinion of that (Woo) concept.  Oh yes I do, lol!

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #933 of 1,499
I'll have to buy more tubes.

Quote:
You can also get two Eddie Current Super 7s and run each as bridged monoblocks.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #935 of 1,499
That's why you setup an elaborate pully system.  Get a thick rubber band and hook it around the two volume pots (the weight of the monoblocks will keep them from moving inward from the rubber bands) and adjust volume by moving the rubber band back and forth. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #936 of 1,499
Just pulled the trigger on the BA!!
Now I don't know how I'll survive the next 4-6 weeks...

Oh yeah, I can start stocking some nice tubes!
Any suggestions are most welcome.
Preference in headphones is Grados mostly but love the LCD-2s, HD800 & HE-6 is well.
Id love to go for tubes which would impart least sibilance.
Brightness, I could live with, sibilance I just can't.

Though I do love my MHDT HAVANA & Assemblage 2.7 Platinum, DAC suggestions are also welcome

Thanks in advance.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #937 of 1,499
Congrats!!

Yep, watch videos on the differences between tubes, start documents to save your research, amass a large list of reputable tube sellers, reach out to them, comb all the threads for the combos on the BA for each phone you love...(let me think about what else I have been doing.)

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #938 of 1,499
Congrats on the BA!  I envy your purchase :)

For my tastes (prefer electrostats), HD800 sounded better on the BA than the LCD2R2 and RS1.  Bass was good enough but the detail and soundstaging was just much better all-around on the HD800.  The BA didn't sound that remarkable to me through the Audeze and Grado, but paired with the HD800, was pretty special.

I heard the EML 300B in the BA and use the same tubes in my preamp and am quite pleased with the EMLs.  The EMLs have a very modern, dynamic sound that does well with fast and busy music, and from doing a lot of online searches, the current production run of EMLs seem to have better reliability than the KRs.  The speaker guys say that the WEs, Shuguangs, etc., are better if you prefer vocals and acoustic music, and are looking for a more old-school sound.  I listen to a lot of electronica and metal so the EMLs are great.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #939 of 1,499

Quote:

Though I do love my MHDT HAVANA & Assemblage 2.7 Platinum, DAC suggestions are also welcome

Thanks in advance.

4 to 6 weeks you reckon :) ....

wrt to DAC you should really listen to the Weiss DAC202 if you can. Or even their less expensive professional DAC2 unit (which is the same as the Weiss Minerva but the Minerva is a discontinued product).

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #940 of 1,499

Quote:
Congrats on the BA!  I envy your purchase :)

...... and are looking for a more old-school sound.

What do you mean by this statement? What is "old school" sound compared to err ... "new school" or are you suggesting there is a modern sound. I thought fidelity is fidelity no matter what genre of music a person likes to listen too????

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #941 of 1,499
Congrats from me as well.

Dac for BA = Eximus DP-1, or for half the price: Wyred 4 Sound Dac2

Tubes = Craig recommended and I pass along: NOS Raytheon 6F8G, for which you will need the GSN7 -> G78G adapter.

Single biggest upgrade to sound:  Stefan Audioart umbilical in place of stock umbilical and just as essential: SAA power cable and interconnect.  No kidding - bigger change than tube-rolling...

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #942 of 1,499

Quote:
Congrats from me as well.

Dac for BA = Eximus DP-1, or for half the price: Wyred 4 Sound Dac2

Tubes = Craig recommended and I pass along: NOS Raytheon 6F8G, for which you will need the GSN7 -> G78G adapter.

Single biggest upgrade to sound:  Stefan Audioart umbilical in place of stock umbilical and just as essential: SAA power cable and interconnect.  No kidding - bigger change than tube-rolling...

Yes i concur regarding the SAA upgrades. SAA sell this as a "trio" package deal.

Where do you get the GSN7 to G78G adapter from?

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #943 of 1,499
Quote:
What do you mean by this statement? What is "old school" sound compared to err ... "new school" or are you suggesting there is a modern sound. I thought fidelity is fidelity no matter what genre of music a person likes to listen too????

Try reading this article on 300B comparisons.  I found it really interesting and it matched some of the tubes I've heard, a number of dealers and enthusiasts I've spoken to, etc., and discussions on 300B tubes on other sites.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/300Bredux/redux.html

Similar 300B comparisons here, too:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yamamoto6/a09s_4.html

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #944 of 1,499

Quote:

Oh yeah, I can start stocking some nice tubes!
Any suggestions are most welcome.
Preference in headphones is Grados mostly but love the LCD-2s, HD800 & HE-6 is well.
Id love to go for tubes which would impart least sibilance.
Brightness, I could live with, sibilance I just can't.

Thanks in advance.

Grats. Given your DACs and that you said you are not afraid of bright (just want smooth), just go with the KR PX4s These are fast neutral sounding tubes with good bass and harmonic richness. This is assuming Craig can obtain them. If not come back and ask for other recommendations. If you don't know what you want, don't worry about tubes at this point. The first step is establishing a good reference. If you just want to burn money and get silky smooth super tubes, find some vintage AD1s or globe glass PX25s, and have Craig make you adapters and customize your BA to take them.

As for 6SN7 driver tubes, check out the 6SN7 thread here. The best 6SN7s are getting hard to find. Some good sounding inexpensive baseline 6SN7s to establish a reference are the Sylvania GTA/GTB chrome tops and triangle plate 7N7s (on an adapter.) If you want to blow wads of cash, try Tungsol BGRP, B65, or some of the British made ones.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #945 of 1,499
I have used the Balancing Act  with great results for LCD3, HD800, R10
For the Grado's   I use the Weiss Dac202 to adjust the output to match those and found
that the Symphones Magnum 3.5, 4.0 versions also work very well with the BA.  Even
the modded (very low priced) Creative Aurvana Live sounds terrific with the BA.

Tubes : KR PX4 + Tungsol Black glass round plate, however the Tungsol 6SN7''s are getting
more and more expensive so I use the 6F8G's Tungsol (VT99 round plate) with similar or
better result.
            300B : I have to say the original WE300B 1950-60's are the best + Mullard ECC33 or
Telefunken 6SN7GT
            If you can get Marconi PX25 , Marconi PX4, Telefunken RE604, Telefunken AD1  
go for it if you can get a good pair.  I have recently listened to the Telefunken AD1 (Barium pill ) and
found that it probably has a better mid than the famous and more expensive WE300B

I also use the Stefan Audio Art : power cable, umbilical cord, Furutech Rho wall outlet
as recommended by eaglejo

The good thing about the BA is that you can tube rolling to the sound you like and it is
very subjective to tube rolling both the 6SN7's and power tubes (PX4 or 300B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back