EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Sep 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #76 of 651
AudioDwebe, I bought some tubes from Sergei and Ryan when they sold theirs Zana Deux's.

The remaining tubes I bought from ebay, Paul Lindemann ( I think he sells tubes on Audiogon and Head-Fi under the same name ). If you look carefully you can get for great prices compared to the ones sold on Tubeworld and Upscaleaudio.

Here is a list of tubes I have

6SL7
----

Brimar 6SL7GTY CV1985 ( 1950's ) - Brown Base, White Printing

Cossor 6SL7GT ( 1950's ) - Black Base

Mullard ECC35 ( 1950's ) - Small Brown Base

Mullard ECC35 ( 1950's ) - Small Black Base

National Union 6SL7GT / VT229 ( 1944 ) - Black Base, White Printing, Grey Glass

National Union 6SL7GT / VT229 ( 1944 ) - Black Base, White Printing, Grey Glass

National Electric 6SL7GT ( Russian ) - Black Base, Orange Printing

RCA 6SL7GT - Black Base, Grey Glass

Sylvania 6SL7GT / VT229 ( 1944 ) - Black Base, White Printing, Black Plates

Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY ( 1940's ) - Brown Base, Black Printing, Black Glass

6C33C-B
-------

Svetlana 6C33C-B ( C Logo ) ( 1970 )

Ulyanovsk 6C33C-B ( Original Y Logo ) ( 1973 )

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #77 of 651
Varma,

Thanks for the info. Ryan offered me some tubes when I bought his ZD, but at the time went with the "just wait and see" approach, as I wanted to hear what the Zana was capable of with the tubes that were included.

Now I go in search of...

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #78 of 651
looking at ebay it would seem that the selection of 6SL7s is indeed limited compared to say 3-4 months back. Then if you did a search you'd easily get more listings and much more interesting ones than what i'm seeing now.... I wonder why.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #79 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking at ebay it would seem that the selection of 6SL7s is indeed limited compared to say 3-4 months back. Then if you did a search you'd easily get more listings and much more interesting ones than what i'm seeing now.... I wonder why.

I think the old-time ZD owners need to stay away from Ebay and let us newbie ZD owners have a shot at some tubes. Whadya say, folks?

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #80 of 651
I have too many already, still looking to try different tubes. 14 days, and I am still rolling tubes like a mad man, although I think I might have found my tube of preference.

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #81 of 651
Drop me a note if you decide to sell some of your 6SL7 stash.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #82 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you all getting your tubes? I've searched Ebay, tubeword and tubedepot, and have not found anywhere near the selections that are mentioned here.

Please help.

Agree w/ Varma - Paul Lindemann is a great source and a pleasure to deal with. He sells on AudiogoN and is easy to find there. Very responsive, highest integrity, and excellent prices. He has recently begun stocking some power tubes as well. -Tim

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #83 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the old-time ZD owners need to stay away from Ebay and let us newbie ZD owners have a shot at some tubes. Whadya say, folks?

Oh you're such a spoilsport!!! Ok ok i'll be good and stay away.....
jecklinsmile.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #84 of 651
Yea, I need to get some tubes. The stock is wonderful with senns and even pretty good with the K501, but for some reason I think it could be better with the W5000.

I think I am going to buy a Brimar and Mullard and be done with it. Anything I need to know before randomly selecting two from tubedepot?

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #85 of 651
I looked closely my Brimar 6SL7GTY into the tubes, and noticed that the second tube D-getter is a piece of melted away. I looked my NU 6SL7GT and there was the same story.

Negative impact on it?

My ZD has not yet been received so I am not able to try them. And photos of course..

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #86 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I am going to buy a Brimar and Mullard and be done with it.

I hear ya there. This tube rolling thing is driving me so nutty that I went out and picked up a Beta 22!!
eek.gif
I'm probably going to just stick with the Brimar and Mullard as well.
cool.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #87 of 651
I agree with you. The tube rolling is stopping me from really listen to the music, but this evening I have had total audio bliss for about 4 hours straight. Been rocking with the HD650's. I have managed to bend the metal headband so the can sits firmly on the head, without any clamp. Not too loose, not too tight. Right about where I am able to rock with the whole me when doing air drums. I feel I actually have done some exercise tonight lol! It really got my feet tapping. Yoohoooo! What can I say... playing Joe Satriani's "Come On Baby" on the 650's with the Brimar tube was mind blowing! The bass where just fenomenal. I could actually feel it in my chest and stomach. It was like the floor tickled my feet from the vibration of the bass. It set the floor just right where it should be. Not overpowering, not veiled or too emphazised in the mid bass, just pure deep tight drive. Amazing. Not too loud volume either, about 9'clock on the Zana. Not so high where I can feel the driver pushing air into my ears, but high enough to get the right "feel" and get drawn into the music.
I got to get rid of this "crazy", and get into the music again. Tonight is by far the best moment I have had with music in a very long time!

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #88 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you. The tube rolling is stopping me from really listen to the music, but this evening I have had total audio bliss for about 4 hours straight. Been rocking with the HD650's. I have managed to bend the metal headband so the can sits firmly on the head, without any clamp. Not too loose, not too tight. Right about where I am able to rock with the whole me when doing air drums. I feel I actually have done some exercise tonight lol! It really got my feet tapping. Yoohoooo! What can I say... playing Joe Satriani's "Come On Baby" on the 650's with the Brimar tube was mind blowing! The bass where just fenomenal. I could actually feel it in my chest and stomach. It was like the floor tickled my feet from the vibration of the bass. It set the floor just right where it should be. Not overpowering, not veiled or too emphazised in the mid bass, just pure deep tight drive. Amazing. Not too loud volume either, about 9'clock on the Zana. Not so high where I can feel the driver pushing air into my ears, but high enough to get the right "feel" and get drawn into the music.
I got to get rid of this "crazy", and get into the music again. Tonight is by far the best moment I have had with music in a very long time!

Yea the ZD has an uncanny synergy with the sennheisers. I like it with the W5000 and K501, but it is just a perfect match with the senn hd600.

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #89 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you. The tube rolling is stopping me from really listen to the music, but this evening I have had total audio bliss for about 4 hours straight.

Nice one, nor_spoon! Great to hear you found the music again.
k701smile.gif
That's what it's all about. I'm with you there on the Brimar's. Definitely diggin that sound. Now to try the Mullard's to see what they're all about—and then DONE! ...almost there!

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #90 of 651
Yep, same here. I want to try the Mullard's too, before I am done. I hope they sound the way I imagine they do. Best sounding brand I put in my DV332. Hard to find one reasonable priced though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back