EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Aug 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #46 of 651
I've been living with the Brimar's for a week, listening through them nightly. I have to say, there is something indescribably "magical" about them. Though I hate the term, "magical", because it's so vague and non-descriptive, I'm using it because it's just something about the presentation of the Brimar's that bring a smile to my face—consistently and regardless of what I'm listening to—and I'm unable to clearly articulate what that is. It's something to do with the articulation and presentation of the midrange, while the bass extends very far down in a viscerally tasty way—you can feel it, while it's not bloated, but rather still very controlled. It's not perfect. In fact, on my setup, on both Brimar's that I have, the soundstage is quite flat, but extremely wide at the same time. With the Brimar, I have no perception of the room or hall. I imagine that it's partly because the highs are not so extended with these. That lack of soundstage has me now tube rolling on a Sunday morning to see if I can get that soundstage back.

First up, the stock Tung-Sol 6SL7GT. Solid performer with extended, but not quite smooth highs, and bass that is quite present, if not just the slightest bit soft on the control side in the midbass region. On the plus side, I just got my soundstage back. Joe Pass now exists in a small cafe in Berkeley. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra is now back at Symphony Center; and I don't feel like I'm listening to Janos Starker's cello via the mic feed through a warm mic like a U87, but rather I'm sitting a 5-10' in front of him. With the Tung-Sol 6SL7GT, I'm very glad to have the soundstage and venue information back in the presentation, but I very much miss that "magic" of the Brimar's.

Next up is the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY. Compared to the the stock Tung-Sol 6SL7GT, I just jumped back several rows in the hall and highs are a bit less extended as the stock 6SL7GT, though at the same time just slightly smoother. The bass seems to be a bit reduced in comparison to the stock 6SL7GT, while being noticeably reduced in comparison to the Brimar's. Treble presentation is crisp and enjoyable, if not just ever so slightly strident. There's something a bit strange going on with the soundstage with these. Soft passages of orchestral music sound distant, while forte passages seem to hit a wall 10-20 feet or so in front of me. Neither of the other two tubes seem to exhibit this phenomena. I'm noticing that trumpets on these sound a just ever so slightly bit nasal as well and not open. Now that I've noticed that, I'm hearing it in Janos' cello, too.

Between these 3 tubes, I absolutely LOVE the Brimar's sound signature. I just wish the highs were extended further and the soundstage had the depth and coherency of the stock 6SL7GT. So, to sum up, the Brimar 6SL7GT/CV1985 to me is a fun, engaging, pleasing tube, while the stock, current model Tung-Sol 6SL7GT showcases a coherent, three dimensional soundstage giving up the fun of Brimar's while having much more treble crispness and articulation as well.

I'm guessing this is unlikely, but if anyone knows of tube that combines the enjoyable aspects of the Brimar while still retaining a coherent three dimensional spatial presentation, PLEASE advise. That would be the ultimate tube for me, indeed!

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #47 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektrograf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not perfect. In fact, on my setup, on both Brimar's that I have, the soundstage is quite flat, but extremely wide at the same time. With the Brimar, I have no perception of the room or hall. I imagine that it's partly because the highs are not so extended with these. That lack of soundstage has me now tube rolling on a Sunday morning to see if I can get that soundstage back.

That's my experience with the Brimar. There is something seductive about the mids, but they lack 'air', are two dimensional, and can sound congested/constipated with some types of music.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #48 of 651
Lots of fun rolling tubes that is for sure. It is always helpfull to read tube impressions with which headphones are being used. A busy day for me. the newer Brimar's with the lettering on the glass have been ordered. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Brimar's with the lettering on the base. Also bought a pair of Valvo- made in Germany ECC35's. I do not think I have seen any impressions of these with the Zana Deux. Phones are the Senn 650-Equinox cable, Ultrasone Ed. 9's, and the Denon 5000-modded.

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #49 of 651
valvo i believe are relabelled mullards/brimars... can't remember which, think mullard. These are funny things, in all the months i've been looking at tubes, just about all the valvos seem to come from the same batch of German navy 1958 manufactured in Hamburg or something like that...Must have been one heckuva batch and all sold off at the same time. Should sound pretty good.

I have more than my fair share of Brimars
tongue.gif
and the ones I prefer are the orange labelled (on base) with D getters. the military specced cv1985 (again on base) is rather nice but haven't seen too many available.

Spektograf: your system looks practically identical to mine previously!! (I've sold my cullen modded DL III to feed my vinyl addiction). I've had good results with: Brimar (orange labelled) Mullard (short brown base) Sylvania (vt229) and RCA (vt229 clear glass)

As mentioned by David before YMMV esp since tube/can combo is the most important consideration. Don't think Grado users will have the same Luuuuurrve for these tubes. TS seems to do it for them. Nat union has been mentioned before (vt229 smoked glass) and i think it was being used with ed-9s.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #50 of 651
Boy it is hard to know for sure who made what and who owned who in the world of tubes. I had read that Valvo did make tubes in Germany but the plant was owned by Phillips. Mine are "1957" but I bet they are part of the same batch you mentioned.
Synergy with tube types and headphones is soo important. The Ed. 9's sound great with the Brimar's when your in the mood to be up close to the music. But I am not in that mood all the time and I have the luxury to grabe a different tube depending oth the phone, the type of music and how it was recorded. Graddo's and a Brimar might be a little over the top for me.
I am very happy to have the privilege to have a Zana deux.

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #51 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spektograf: your system looks practically identical to mine previously!! (I've sold my cullen modded DL III to feed my vinyl addiction). I've had good results with: Brimar (orange labelled) Mullard (short brown base) Sylvania (vt229) and RCA (vt229 clear glass)

Nice! It's good to see someone with a similar setup—easier to discuss comparos!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm definitely digging the DL III. the Cullen mods are definitely worth it, as I heard a stock one at a meet (granted it was meet conditions), and thought it was good, but not great).

I'll have to look for the orange-labeled Brimar and hope it has a reasonable soundstage. I had the Sylvania VT229, and just sold it on eBay 'cuz it really didn't engage me at all and found that it had quite a recessed presentation.

It's funny. As much as I'm complaining about the Brimar not having a soundstage, that seductive quality has friends and family—who are non-audiophiles—who listen to it drawn in by the sound. Strange quality indeed.

I just wrote Craig for a recommendation and he's digging the brown-base JAN Sylvania 6SL6GT. *shrug* My next purchases will have to be a bit smarter than picking up Kevin's expensive, but precisely screened tubes at Upscale.

redface.gif
*must develop more patience*

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #52 of 651
Out of the tubes I have rolled, the Valvo 6SL7GT from 1957 are the most natural and best sounding tube to these ears. Lots of detail, but never harsh and hard sounding. Natural and lovely mids. Good tight bass. Very balanced all over.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #53 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the tubes I have rolled, the Valvo 6SL7GT from 1957 are the most natural and best sounding tube to these ears. Lots of detail, but never harsh and hard sounding. Natural and lovely mids. Good tight bass. Very balanced all over.

have you tried mullards yet?? i believe they are of the same design as the valvo.

if you have the cash, try a short brown base mullard or philips/miniwatt.... let us know your thoughts.

oh and sorry about your wallet (check mullard prices and you'll know what i mean)
jecklinsmile.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #54 of 651
Quote:

have you tried mullards yet?? i believe they are of the same design as the valvo.

if you have the cash, try a short brown base mullard or philips/miniwatt.... let us know your thoughts.

oh and sorry about your wallet (check mullard prices and you'll know what i mean)
jecklinsmile.gif

Yeah, I have checked, but do not want to pay the asking price for those tubes... As I understand, Valvo was owned by Phillips, and there should be small differences, if any, between the Mullards, Siemens, Valvo, Phillips, Telefunken etc. I will try the Mullards if I can find one for not so crazy price.
Btw, I think the Valvo sounds better than my white labeled, black base Brimar, although they are very similar. The Valvo sounds very natural.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #55 of 651
I am glad to hear you like the Valvo's. I ordered a pair on E-Bay yesterday. They certainly are lower priced than the few Mullards I have seen for sale. I think the only report I have seen about Mullards was by Blackmore- using Graddo's. Of course I haven't heard a truly bad driver in the Zana Deux, just better matches to a particular phone or source.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #56 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Pritchard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad to hear you like the Valvo's. I ordered a pair on E-Bay yesterday. They certainly are lower priced than the few Mullards I have seen for sale. I think the only report I have seen about Mullards was by Blackmore- using Graddo's. Of course I haven't heard a truly bad driver in the Zana Deux, just better matches to a particular phone or source.

Nice. I would love to hear your impressions of the Valvo's. I got a Tung-Sol brown base, black glass 6SU7GTY today, and while it sounds really good, I still think I like the Valvo better. Need more time though.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #57 of 651
Quote:

Nice. I would love to hear your impressions of the Valvo's. I got a Tung-Sol brown base, black glass 6SU7GTY today, and while it sounds really good, I still think I like the Valvo better. Need more time though.

did you use the TS with your Grados or Senns?

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #58 of 651
I will know how the Valvo sounds in two weeks- shipping from Hong Kong. The Tung Sol to me is a solid performer but not an exciting tube for the Sennheiser 650 phones. Sort of being on the back row of a concert of Hayden. Correct, proper but not twenty first century exciting music.
By the way I do like Hayden but his music needs the Ultrasone Ed. 9's with the Brimar tube to get me emotionally involved.
Maybe the Tung Sol would sound better with small jazz groups. Different sounds for different phones and different music.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #59 of 651
Quote:

did you use the TS with your Grados or Senns?

With the HD650.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #60 of 651
Quote:

With the HD650.

when you have a moment swop cans, think you'll feel different about the TS...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back