EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Apr 20, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #16 of 651
Congrats. Nice looking tube. The vertical "wings" on the mica apparently there to reduce microphonics further. Not much talk on Ken-rads, will be interested to hear your impressions....

Something I look for is the VT229 numbering.... Again, it apparently means tube is WW2 vintage +/-

True or just another tube "story" i don't know....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 651
Another find. This might be a good one. Just ordered a couple.

Valvo JAN 6SL7GT with "D"-getter. Made in Germany in 1957.

Here is some info I found on the brand:

"VALVO was an old and renowned german company. their tubes are of excellent quality, and at least as good as for example Telefunken, Philips, Mullard or Siemens tubes (of course - i'm referring to the originals, only).

according to my experience VALVOs are often even better than Teles ! in fact, Telefunken had gotten tubes from VALVO since the early 30s, put the diamond-logo on and sold them as "Telefunkens". at those times nobody really cared inspecting a tube very closely to possibly discover its real origin (knowledge of where to look for what wasn't widely spread, either).

since you're asking,- here's a bit of history: before 1914 the company "C.H.F. Mueller GmbH Hamburg" produced only X-ray tubes (therefore, they were known as "Roentgen-Mueller"). after 1916, probably triggered by the requirements of WW-I, "ordinary" tubes (mainly Xmitting ones) were added to the program.

in april 1924 Mueller created a daughter-firm called "Radio-Roehren- Fabrik GmbH" or just "RRF GmbH" (meaning radio-tube factory); they took over the tube-production from Mueller.

in 1926 RRF was renamed to "VALVO". that name was inspired by the latin word "valvae" (something like door wing, to symbolize the flow-control of electrons), plus the english "valve". since then VALVO used their typical logo, a sort of jagged ring with a stylized "VALVO" written inside, which was kept (almost) unchanged for more than 5 decades.

in 1927 Philips bought C.H.F. Mueller (Mueller had financial problems), and later in 1932 also VALVO (Mullard became a Philips-daughter, too).

BTW, Philips was founded in 1891 as "Philips & Co" for producing and selling light-bulbs. after significant expansion also internationally they changed to "Philips AG" in 1912. AFAIK their headquarter has been in Eindhoven (holland) ever since, till today.

VALVO didn't just produce tubes (incl. camera/pencil/Geiger/PM types, & up to 1 MW klystrons), but a whole lot of other stuff like ceramic caps, piezo-elements, ferrites, smaller motors, transformers, deflection-yokes and (b/w + color) picture-tubes, diodes, transistors, loudspeakers, etc.

it's amusing to see how eagerly people are sometimes pointing out major differences (prices follow accordingly) between tubes e.g. made by VALVO, Mullard, Telefunken, Siemens or Philips. one should be aware of the fact that tubes were frequently exchanged & re-labelled among those and other firms.

as an aside,- Telefunken started off with the prototype of their very 1st EL 34 (metal-base) in october 1954, which was an exact copy of the VALVO EL 34 (Philips had developed the EL 34 years before). at that time, only some slight changes were done by the Telefunken engineers (e.g. the lower pair of cooling-wings was dropped); later other mods followed."

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 651
These Valvo's are nice, but not perfect. The real Vavlo's, nos ones, are with metalic logo's. The most Valvo's with white logo's are rebranded and been made not by Valvo. I am not trying to put them down, do not get me wrong, but real Valvo's are very rare. I have a pic somewhere, will look for it and post later. Let us know how these are sounding.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 651
Thanks Sergei.

I will do some further research. The site says they are made in 1957, and by the look of the picture on their site, that seems to be correct.

[EDIT:] I read a little about it and by looking at pictures of new tubes, I have only seen white logo Valvos, and some red/white. Read about one guy asking in a forum because his NOS Valvo logo was white and easy to tear off, but got brownish once he started using the tube, and the paint stuck. Could this be what you have seen on images?

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #20 of 651
Just would like to correct myself about the VALVO tubes. They were never rebranded, as far my trusty source concern, and they are the real thing, that's number one.
Second, I was confused with LORENZ tubes, which are the same company as VALVO and these two been made at the same factory. The difference is that LORENZ been rebranded later on and VALVO not, that's it.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 651
[size=large]incoming![/size]

sylvaniavt229.jpg

Sylvania vt229

Sylvaniavt229NIB.JPG

Same again....
redface.gif
BUT this time NIB.....or so the seller says... maybe its time to get a tube tester.....
biggrin.gif

RCAvt229NIB.JPG

RCA vt229 again supposedly NIB

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 651
Wow man, you are keeping yourself really busy, ha...
wink.gif

My NOS/NIB pair of 1945 Tung Sols just left U.S., so maybe I can get extra smile on my face coming weekend, hmmm grrr...
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow man, you are keeping yourself really busy, ha...
wink.gif

My NOS/NIB pair of 1945 Tung Sols just left U.S., so maybe I can get extra smile on my face coming weekend, hmmm grrr...
cool.gif

Beautiful looking tubes.....

I know there has been a lot of love for these 6su7gty amongst the ZD owners but have never really been into my pair.
frown.gif

Probably the choice of cans.... Find them bit too tubey/rich/warm/"plasticky" with my 650s. Gonna guess they will suit Grados really really well. In which case Sergei, you're gonna be in aural ecstasy!!! Tell us how Supertramp "Paris" sounds through these. That album reminds me of high school!
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #24 of 651
Another tube incoming. Looking forward to this one.

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 651
Now that both the Wavelength Cosecant USB DAC v3 (now with ASYNC mode) and the Benchmark USB DAC 1 and DAC 1-PRE support 24-bit audio at sample rates up to 96 kHz without the installation of any drivers or other special software. I am having a hard time choosing between them. My primary headphones are the Ultrasone UE 9 and the Grado GS 1000. Has anyone out there heard both side to side at any of the meets??? Are there specific advantages of one over the other?

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 651
Hi Tunes,
Since you are using computer audio I wanted to point out that the one complaint about the GS1000 is that it is too bright sometimes. You could use an equalizer on the computer to compensate for this.
I looked at the frequency response chart at Headroom and played around with the equalizer on the PC oriented program called Foobar2000 which is a very popular and high quality playback software.
I reduced output frequency in the 7 khz spectrum by 4 db and reduced the bass in the 77hz band by 2 db, the 110hz band by 3 db, and the 156hz band by 2 db. For me this makes the playback perfect, at least on my current Headroom Max 2004 amp. I'm waiting on the next order of the Zana Deux.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 651
Well, my ZD will be here in august. What are some good, reasonably priced tubes? (I'll need everything but the rectifiers that Craig sends). I like an open, spacious, and detailed sound.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #29 of 651
Try to find COSSOR 6SL7GT D getter
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my ZD will be here in august. What are some good, reasonably priced tubes? (I'll need everything but the rectifiers that Craig sends). I like an open, spacious, and detailed sound.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #30 of 651
I have ordered a few tubes to add to the list. Brimar's- both standard and cryo treated. This should be fun to compare- truth or hype? The other tube on the way is an Adzam ECC35. This tube may give an European feel to this California amp. I am currently typing while listening to the London Symphony's SaCd of Beethoven's 3rd symphony. Driver is a Tung Sol GSU7GTY and phones are Ultrasones Edition 9's. This is a nice combination.
David Pritchard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back