EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Feb 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 651

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
I know about this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/edd...owners-193868/, but its become to damn big to find what you may need, so I just start a new one.
Hopefully people would make this thread very useful and will focusing on TUBE ROLLING only, if possible of course.

My tubes so far:

NATIONAL UNION VT229 6SL7GT
Tung Sol VT229 6SL7GT
SYLVANIA VT229 6SL7GT
MULLARD ECC35 CV569

I also have RCA Black Based, but unfortunately its dead, so looking for some new ideas. From what I have read is that RCA RED BASED are the best, but is there anyone who can compare it to tubes above and Black Based as well please.

THX

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 651
I just received my set of tubes consisting of:
National Union VT-229 (heavy graphite covered glass)
Sylvania JAN-CHS-6SL7GT VT-229
RCA 6SL7GT (VT229?) light smoked glass, black base, round plates
Tung Sol 6SU7GTY, brown base, black glass
Tung Sol 6SL7GT (stock tube, current production)

First off the bat, nearly all the tubes had better synergy with the GS-1K cans than the stock tube. The stock tube by comparison is really unrefined, weak and cold mid-range, aggressive highs, and really dry sounding. It did have better synergy with the HD650s; though I have yet to try the HD650 with the rest of the tubes as my main concern was the GS-1K,

Now with the GS-1K+NU VT-229. This was probably the best combo, but the other tubes may benefit from burn in. Really beautiful, clear, articulate, and crisp vocals. Great mid-range which is fairly neutral, maybe with a pinch of warmth. Handles sibilance really well. Highs are extended, airy, and detailed without being etched. Bass has good impact, but can be a touch more defined - though it's not a huge problem; it's a bit on the acoustic/organic side (which is a good thing sometimes) versus coming out of a super tight vise. Overall very balanced sound, great all around imaging, excellent dynamics. Very very enjoyable, and unfatiguing tube to listen to, without sacrificing detail. I should also add that this tube reproduced the best musical timbres, expecially of brass (adding "bite" to the brass when needed) and piano.

I had a post in another thread ranking the GS-1K, HD650 synergy with Zana Deux, and Grace 901 amps. I gave the ZD and GS-1K an 80 and the HD650+ZD a 95 . With the NU-VT-229, the GS-1K is about tied at 95 now.

RCA black base, light smoked glass: I'm not sure if this is a VT-229, though the seller says it is, but is not indicated on the tube. In any event, I was least impressed by this tube (especially after listening to the NU VT-229).
If you really have a problem with the highs being edgy and aggressive with the GS1K and the bass bloated which I often read, this will completely counter all of that. No more of any of that in fact. However, it didn't have the dynamics and refinement of the NU VT-229. After listening to this tube, I had the opposite problem of before, the mids are too dominant over the bass and treble. My least favourite of them all.

The Sylvania had a lot of good characteristics. And I didn't find it to do much wrong, but I found the NU VT-229 better, so I didn't pay as much attention to this one for the time being. I have a feeling burn-in may improve this tube more. It's a more upfront presentation overall. However, I found the highs although not aggressive, were a bit more pronounced, and weren't as balanced at least on the GS-1K. May be an interesting candidate for the HD650 (untested at the moment). It also wasn't as airy as the NU VT-229. Vocals were good, but not seductive like the NU.

Tung Sol 6SU7GTY. A good all rounder. Balanced sound, more so than the JAN-CHS (w/ GS-1K). But at least for the music I listen to Jazz, Classical - I'm heavily drawn to the NU. Really good imaging and soundstage. My impressions are not as detailed for this tube, as I tried it a bit earlier on, and have yet to swap it back in. Overall, it was good, but not OMG good of the NU VT-229.

Tung Sol 6SL7GT - stock tube, current production. Good synergy with the HD650. A write-off with the GS-1000. Timbres don't show very well with this tube as the JAN-CHS, NU, or TS6SU7. For the price, it's a bargain if you listen to HD650s. Bass is articulate and tight. Imaging and soundstage are very weak on the GS-1K, and acceptable on the HD650. Again, great for the price with HD650s, but there certainly is better for more money.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 651
Blackmore: In response to your original message, if you've got the NU VT-229. Then forget about the RCA black.

I haven't heard good things about red 5691s either with the ZD.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 651
I'm digging the tung sol 6su7gty the best, out of rca vt229 and tung sol vt229 black glass (which i just sold). I like the rca but it is somewhat mushy, some people dig that. The 6su7 is balanced and cohesive, it is a great fit for the amp. And it is dead silent, no noise, hum, microphonics, just plain music.

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 651
I really enjoy Edition 9 + NU VT-229 (gray glass), FULL and RICH sounding, silky smooth, very refined, bass is detailed, transparent. A very good all rounder combo for jazz, classical, rock. I have the NU JAN-CNU-GSL7GT (black coated glass, round anodes) which sound very unlike the NU VT-229, no air, very constricted soundstage.

I also have the RCA 6SL7GT VT-229 (black base, dark coated glass), it's not bad, but I need more time to listen.

I also agree that Tung Sol 6SU7GTY (brown base, black glass) is very balanced, I also feel that it has slightly more gain than other tubes.

RS1/MS-Pro + Brimar CV1985 (brown base), I am in heaven..

These tubes are dead silent, no hum, no microphonics.

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 651
I've tried most of what are listed in the thread and have settled on 1950's NOS Brimar 6SL7GT's as my tube of choice. Very clean, detailed, with full, well defined bass. Silent and non-microphonic, I've not used anything else since getting the Brimar, and have actually purchased three more as backups when I saw them come up for sale.

As shiosai says, paired with the RS1 or even the MS2i, this is a combo made in heaven. To my old ears anyway.
wink.gif

A_Sr

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 651
Wow, thanks guys, great replays, cool.
cool.gif

NU is a very good one indeed, but lately been looking at some BRIMAR and found some others, which may could be interesting to try.

Please tell me which Brimar you have or which one to get. POST SOME PICS OF THEM PLEASE

The first is black based, no BRIMAR logo, but seems to be one

The second is clear, I guess. Brimar CV1985

And this one isnt brimar, but Philips labled as you can see, but also interesting, I guess

And the last is one that I already own, Mullard ECC35 CV569

THX

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 651
Blackmore or shiosai, please post pics of your NU's. I see a few out there for sale but I'm not sure of the difference between the VT-229 and the JAN 6sl7-gt.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 651

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blackmore or shiosai, please post pics of your NU's. I see a few out there for sale but I'm not sure of the difference between the VT-229 and the JAN 6sl7-gt.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 651
Thanks!

There is a different NU 6sl7gt with the JAN label that has a brown base and a silverish coating on the top of the tube. I assume this is the non vt-229 that isn't as well regarded. Just wanted to get that straight before I go shopping.

On another note, there are several variations on the RCA red base I have seen. There is one where the rca logo is inside a circle, one where rca is in block caps in orange and one in white. There is also an RCA made, GE labeled red base as well. I believe the circle logo one is the oldest variation. Has anyone heard substantive differences between these?

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 651
Check this link for some info

https://www.tubeworld.com/6sl7.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

There is a different NU 6sl7gt with the JAN label that has a brown base and a silverish coating on the top of the tube. I assume this is the non vt-229 that isn't as well regarded. Just wanted to get that straight before I go shopping.

On another note, there are several variations on the RCA red base I have seen. There is one where the rca logo is inside a circle, one where rca is in block caps in orange and one in white. There is also an RCA made, GE labeled red base as well. I believe the circle logo one is the oldest variation. Has anyone heard substantive differences between these?

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 651
Quote:

gallery_1798_21_124968.jpg

Don't buy the one at right, constricted soundstage, no air, just dull.

Quote:

Please tell me which Brimar you have or which one to get.

gallery_1798_21_59386.jpg

This is the one I'm using now, have one more Brimar (black base, white print label) on the way..

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 651
Anyone tried those tubes?

link

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 651
Do not bother, modern production type, made in Russia I believe.

Try to find NOS between 1945-1955, cos they are the best.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried those tubes?

link

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 651
[size=small]NOS TUBE LIST[/size]
(All impressions are from using my setup with Sennheiser HD650)

[size=x-small]KEN RAD[/size]
[size=xx-small]1x JAN-CKR 6SL7GT/VT-229 | 1950's[/size]

[size=x-small]IMPRESSIONS:[/size]
[size=xx-small]Thought the Valvo was better, so I have not listened much to this tube yet.
I will try it some more later.[/size]

Ken_Rad_6SL7GT.jpg

[size=x-small]SVETLANA[/size]
2x 6C33C-B | 1985

[size=xx-small]Not much to choose from here. I put them in when I first got my amp, but
did not compare them to the Ulyanovsk tubes. At least, they seem to work fine.[/size]

svetlana6s33sv.jpg

[size=x-small]SYLVANIA[/size]
1x JAN-CHS 6SL7GT/VT-229 | 1940's
Sylvania_VT229_1940s_mod.jpg

[size=x-small]VALVO[/size]
9x JAN 6SL7GT | 1957

[size=xx-small]Very balanced and natural sounding tube. No emphazis in any frequencies.
It has good extension in the bass, not so much as impact as the Brimar, but more attack and detail.
Mid and up is better than the Brimar. It is less veiled and has better clarity. This tube brings out the
highs just about right without emphazising it. Cymbals sound like metal, without any hint of harshness.
S and shh sounds in voices sound detailed yet never harsh or piercing. Very good tube. I wonder why
more people haven't noticed this tube. After listening to different tubes, I always come back to this one as
reference. [/size]

Valvo_6SL7GT.jpg

[size=x-small]BRIMAR[/size]
1x 6SL7GT | 1950's

[size=xx-small]Very natural sounding tube. It goes deep, and is tight in the bottom with very nice drive.
Voices sound really good with nice body. Not as detailed and clear as the Valvo in the upper register.
A very good tube.[/size]

Brimar_6SL7GT.jpg

[size=x-small]TUNG-SOL[/size]
1x 6SL7GT | 1950's-60's
Tung_Sol_6SL7GT_w400.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back