EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Aug 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #436 of 651
001_500w.jpg

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #439 of 651
LOL@Karo
tongue.gif

West726: I only use one input. The reason I have my cables on the III is because I need to tighten the nuts on the other jacks. They are a bit loose. I have to open the amp up to do so, because the nut is on the inside, but haven't got around to do it yet.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #440 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL@Karo
tongue.gif

West726: I only use one input. The reason I have my cables on the III is because I need to tighten the nuts on the other jacks. They are a bit loose. I have to open the amp up to do so, because the nut is on the inside, but haven't got around to do it yet.

I gotta open my up at some point as well.... The Eddie Current logo is upside down, and the logo had a little ding on it. Craig sent me a new one to put on. I just haven't gotten around to it. I hope it isn't hard to do. I am going to take lots of pictures once I do it.

I notice you have the chicken knobs on yours. I bought the dress kit, but never put it on
redface.gif
My ZD is #65.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #441 of 651
There is a lot of good information on tube rolling with the Zana Deux on this thread. What is the experience with interconnect rolling? I have tried 5 IC's. Audioquest King Cobra, Audioquest Cheetah with 144 volt DBS, Audioquest Colorado with 144volt DBS (upgraded from 72 volts), My Audio Cables Paladium, and Morrow Audio SP-4 with silver Eichman RCA plugs. This is with the Sennheiser 650-Equinox cabled phones and a Marantz SACD player.
I especially enjoy the imaging, and better timbre (especially horns and solo piano) using the Morrow IC's. The Auddioquest Cheetah's are a close second.
The Morrow's do take forever to break in. I put them on a second system 24/7 for two weeks plus a 72 hour cable burn in. The Audioquest DBS cables (Colorado and Cheetah do not need a break in- the DBS takes care of that.
What IC's and headphone combinations are making your Brimar, Valvo, Fivre, RCA, Tung-Sol, National Union, GE, Adzam, Ultron, Mullard, Hytron powered ZD sing with the angles or forbid croak with the frogs.
Good listening.
David Pritchard

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #442 of 651
Swapped the '78 Ulyanovsk 6C33C-B's today to a pair of '85 Svetlana's with the C-wing logo. More impact and thump in the bass, with better extension down low. The bass is more in my chest. Either that, or I had too much coffee, but this was first that came to mind after swapping. Still after swapping a couple of times this is what I hear.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #444 of 651
Well, I don't know, take it with a grain of salt.

Oatmeal, have you found a NOS tube to replace the stock one with yet?

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #445 of 651
No, I'm just starting with my new setup, including new DAC. I want to get good and used to it before I start adjusting tiny things like that... OTOH, I don't see why it would hurt to 'start' with a great driver tube in the first place.
I PM'd Karo yesterday, haven't heard back yet, but it's only been 12 hrs.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #447 of 651
Just check, on daily base, Ebay U.K. and you may get lucky, use ECC35 as the 6SL7 in the search section
Actually, there is one over there with 1 day left, low bids at the moment
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to start with an old Mullard. I seem to like that brand in pretty much everything I've heard. They get way overbid on ebay though.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #448 of 651
You have to bid on a few Mullards and have your upper limit in place or you will spend some serious money. I am sure I bid on 10 Mullards before I got one for $75.00 + shipping. The others went for OVER $100.00 each. I even tried to buy Blackmore's Mullard but he sold it separetely from his other ZD tubes (which I bought). Of course you can buy a six pack of Ultrons for $45.00 and roll a tube for each day of the week! It makes for a fun daily check list. Fresh underware-check. New Ultron-check. Good sounding ZD- check.
Good listening-have fun.
David Pritchard

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #450 of 651
Quote:

Just check, on daily base, Ebay U.K. and you may get lucky ....

thanks black.

Quote:

I PM'd Karo yesterday, haven't heard back yet

This is just like the internet. You come on here complaining about how your being treated, someone offers to help you out, and you don't respond for a week. Then you come back complaining again that I haven't responded in 12 hours. Thanks.
evil_smiley.gif

I was going to overnight it to you, then let you pay when you had the cash .... even gave you my price. Just trying to be friendly. But that's pretty much what it has amounted to here ..... price and contact. I can't wait for the killer fuse-rolling thread.
atsmile.gif

DSC07296a.jpg

Bad news gentlemen .... it's actually good news.
smile.gif
It's not the Telefunkens that are hitting hard, it's the new Brimar WITH the Telefunkens. I have had the notion since Brimar #2 arrived, and now I have the proof. It is much more balanced, while number #1 is the typical Brimar description .. mid-heavy, breathy, i.e. completely re-arranged (in an excellent way). But it does not have the clarity and balance, the extension down deep of the second one. At the same time, I had an amazing experience w/ Brimar #1 on the AD2K's. There was nothing lacking (except that stock AT cable is a 'goner).

In other words Oat, you might not like the Brimar sound. Or you might love it. Honestly to me, every tube has it's own logic. And now the new rectifiers have seemed to unlock the actual characteristics of the drivers. It's breathtaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back