EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Jul 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #421 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify on the Sophia Electric website, they specifically state that they offer both 6SN7 *and* 6SL7 tube, although only the 6SN7 is pictured.

From their site:

I have not tried them yet, but I plan to get a pair of the 6SN7's, since I have been impressed with the Sophia Princess 274b.

That's what I thought! I had to do a double check. Their tubes are highly regarded in general, I was just wondering why no one had tried them here.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #422 of 651
So, what is the stock tube that comes with the Zana? Mine will be delivered tomorrow. Is it a good tube in itself? I know that what I've heard at the shows (Tung-Sol, Mullard) have been top quality tubes, and I wonder how much difference there is between run of the mill Russian tubes and NOS boutique ones at $100 a pop.

I'm also wondering if anyone can quantify the amount of difference by rolling in a good Mullard or Sylvania? I remember tube rolling on my Little Dot produced nothing more than the most subtle of changes.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #423 of 651
Not sure which 6SL7 you will get, but I believe it would be Sylvania VT-229, see pic, on the left

And these you will be getting as well

This was my Zana

Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what is the stock tube that comes with the Zana? Mine will be delivered tomorrow. Is it a good tube in itself? I know that what I've heard at the shows (Tung-Sol, Mullard) have been top quality tubes, and I wonder how much difference there is between run of the mill Russian tubes and NOS boutique ones at $100 a pop.

I'm also wondering if anyone can quantify the amount of difference by rolling in a good Mullard or Sylvania? I remember tube rolling on my Little Dot produced nothing more than the most subtle of changes.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #425 of 651
You can understand that Craig isn't going to give away one of the expensive new old stock NOS tubes since people have all different tastes. If you get the Sylvania it is a decent tube but not as well focused as the Brimar, Cossor or Valvo. It is slightly euphonic but not as nice as the NOS Tung Sol black glass or Mullard ECC35. You can search within this thread for comments on all these tubes but looking at a box on the right which says "search this thread" and then type in one of the names above.
For the best performance one of the more expensive tubes is a must. No one has tried the Sophia 6SL7. It's about the same price as the NOS tubes.
Generally people buy the tubes on eBay or sites like Tubemonger or Tubeworld. You can just google any tube and check the results.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #426 of 651
Thank you Blackmore, and Robinje, that is exactly the information I requested for the first part of my question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMajor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can understand that Craig isn't going to give away one of the expensive new old stock NOS tubes since people have all different tastes.

Ummm... I think I've got that, go on... Quote:

You can search within this thread for comments on all these tubes but looking at a box on the right which says "search this thread" and then type in one of the names above.

You don't say... Quote:

For the best performance one of the more expensive tubes is a must.

Get out of town, REALLY?
Did you actually read the question, or did you just pounce on your big chance to hound a noob on use of the search function? It goes without saying to even the most basic of readers that people spend big cash on rare, NOS tubes because they are believed to sound better.
The part of my post for which you have elucidated so brilliantly, in essence asked if someone might be able to quantify a general level of difference between the included 'stock' tube, and a high dollar, hard to find substitute. It referenced my having thus far only listened to Zanas with very expensive tubes as well as my experience with my lesser amp, which showed very little difference in very cheap vs. very expensive.
Therefore, an extrapolation could reasonably be made that someone might be able to use their own experience with lesser amps as a gauge of reference regarding my query.
Can you show me where in this thread this answer may be? Because I'm having trouble trying to condense this concept into a short Boolean for your handy search box.

Or, could you be so kind as to save the haughtiness and tell me if there is a large difference between cheap and expensive tubes with this amp?

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #427 of 651
Quote:

...No one has tried the Sophia 6SL7.

You'll never believe this, but I actually found that answer and therefore my posted question by... searching this thread!

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #428 of 651
Blackmore .... can you believe I almost sent these out for free ?!
biggrin.gif
I have a bad habit of that.

Of course, I'm heavily connected to the Chinese/Russian Counterfeit Tube Mafia. I couldn't do that to you guys.
wink_face.gif

DSC07210a1.jpg

DSC07218a.jpg

DSC07226a.jpg

DSC07229a.jpg

The Telefunks are hitting deep and hard.

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #430 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can possibly get another Brimar if you're interested. They're clean.
(btw .... the most I've paid for any tube is 65 Euros for the Cossor, which at today's trading is about $92.)

Really? I've read here that the Brimars are pretty nice, How much?
I saw a NOS brown base Mullard go for $105 on eBay the other day, couldn't believe it. I was hoping to do a last minute bid of $45, LOL

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #431 of 651
I got this one as a back-up just last week, my 2nd Brimar. It's even cleaner than the first. I had a pivotal session 2 weeks ago with the Brimar, the AD2K's, and my ZZ Top live cd. Stunning. I was at the show they recorded.

DSC07169a.jpg

DSC07230a.jpg

DSC07231a.jpg

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #434 of 651
Yes I thought I hadn't seen it on here. He sent it for free, with some others I ordered. I told him to watch for any more "weird ones" as he called it.

It's very musical. I'm running it w/ the Telefunkens, seems to like them.

icon10.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #435 of 651
RCA made "coin base" 6SN7, 6SL7, and 6BL7's right at the very end of their tube manufacturing years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back