eBay - checks and money orders no longer allowed
Aug 21, 2008 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tyre

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Paper payments end this October

Beginning late October 2008, all items listed on eBay.com must be paid for using one of the following approved payment options:

* Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account
* PayPal
* ProPay
* Payment on pick-up

Paper payment methods such as checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay.com.

Fees August 2008 Accepted Payments Policy Changes

I had a feeling this was coming to the US ebay...

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 28
What exactly is a money order anyway?
confused.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of like a cheque. Here in Australia, they can be obtained from the Post Office and cost less than cheques in the bank.

Yes, he is correct. It is basically a check backed by some big company instead of an individual.

This is indeed an interesting turn of events. Ultimately I think this means more money for eBay through fees (credit card, pay pal, etc.). Ebay does not get fees on checks or money orders.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 28
I think it mostly means less fraud. Ebay doesn't collect fees on direct merchant account credit cards or pay in person, for example.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 28
Nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Checks are so 1980's anyway, and I don't even know what a money order is...

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 28
No Money Orders or Cashiers checks are a STUPID idea. I know MANY people that absolutely hate paypal. Looks like the way around this will be to click the option for "payment in person", and pay via Money Order....

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 28
I'm with OICDN. Ebay's job is to bring buyers and sellers together.
How they finalize their deal should be up to them not Ebay.

This is just another way for Ebay to bone more fees out of us through PayPal.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 28
A huge percentage of scammers insist on check or money order, tho. And it's easy for weird things like endorsed checks to go flying out the window. So it really seems to me like ebay is protecting its users from scammers, or attempting to.

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A huge percentage of scammers insist on check or money order, tho. And it's easy for weird things like endorsed checks to go flying out the window. So it really seems to me like ebay is protecting its users from scammers, or attempting to.

I'm sure the fact that they stand to gain significant profits is merely a coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back