eBay - checks and money orders no longer allowed
Aug 21, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #16 of 28
mad.gif
Well I guess if they remove check and postal order payments they have lost a few customers here including me! I dont have/can't get a credit card, debit card and because of this no paypal.
mad.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 28
This is also going to mean that a lot more sellers will refuse to sell outside their own country.

frown.gif

Ebay suck!

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can have paypal without a credit card, you just need a bank account.

Well, yeah but you have to have money.

;P

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, yeah but you have to have money.

;P

One could argue, you know, that if you had the money for a money order or check then you had the money to begin with. :facepalm:

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 28
and ebay continues its downward spiral. This is just further motivation to stop selling there, it's a complete crapshoot as it is, and now you've got even more fees tacked on top. Sigh.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if you were using fraudulent checks or money orders!

So that's what I've been doing wrong!

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 28
I've been working at a bank for a few years now, and I've lost count of the amount of fraudulent checks and money orders that honest customers have brought in from an ebay transaction. Unfortunately, USPS money orders are one of the most counterfeited documents in the US, and Offical/Cashiers/Bank checks are just as unreliable.

So I say kudos to eBay, even if I have my qualms with paypal.

Hey, we can still used checks and money orders here on the marketplace if we want to. And we all know this is where we spend most of our cash anyway.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #25 of 28
Inevitable considering the amount of counterfeit checks and money orders floating around these days....heck the technology behind scamming with fakes is so easy now...it's a wonder this hasn't happened sooner...IMO at least.

Peete.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 28
Money order is a good way of paying, especially with Paypal fees so high. Its just one more way for E-bay to force more of your money into their pockets. More people will end up using Paypal as a result of this and E-bay owns Paypal.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #27 of 28
Seems more of a monopoly cash grab than concern about fraud to me. They probably would take care of most of the fraud by simply not allowing Western Union. Perhaps that's what they're trying to do, but can't come right out and say it, and have no way of prohibiting it's use without prohibiting everything.

Paypal's currency conversion fees alone, never mind their regular fees, must pull in a fortune every day. I see more "No Paypal" than I do "PayPal only" in ad listings, which tells me that money orders and cheques, for most people, isn't a huge problem. I collect post cards which typically sell for between $1.00 and $25.00 each and have made thousands of purchases. Most sellers I"ve dealt with prefer not to pay additional fees to ebay/paypal on such small dollar transactions, and encourage non-paypal payment. For those who don't take paypal, I send concealed cash (because I don't want to pay for a money order on such a small amount ) and so far have never had a problem.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #28 of 28
I still have a huge problem with the inherent conflict of interest of PayPal and eBay being the same company.

That said, PayPal is hugely convenient. BUT, I've often gotten fantastic deals on eBay because no one else bid on an item because they are too lazy to go to a bank or post office or grocery store.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back