[easy mod] a shiny red PX100
Jan 30, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #31 of 44
I'm thinking just using red nail polish right off the bat would work better.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #32 of 44
i just got me a pair of PX100-II (at 30$ shipped, brand new, thanks to the deal thread in the portables forum) and i think im gonna go with safety orange and black. but the headband seems to be slightly different

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #33 of 44
Wow, that's a great price on the PX100-ii. I think the local stores up here carry them for around $120 (stupid, I know). I wish the Canuck version of newegg carried those. I'd buy a second set for sure.

The headband is slightly thicker in the ii version. Probably easier to paint. The back cover on the earpads is also much simpler; that part took me the longest to paint the first time through.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #34 of 44
If you are going to paint the headphones again, proper preparation of the plastic surface is crucial for paint adhesion.

Sanding and/or an etching solvent to prepare the plastic surface will help with adhesion.

Then there is the choice of paint, and it's application process. Flexibility, durability, surface finish, and drying requirements are specific to the type of paint that you choose.

If you do a separate finish coat for durability, the material choice has to be compatible to the kind of paint you are using or it will cause problems.

With all the masking that you did, you could try spray painting the surface.

You could choose the type of paint and color you want and have an auto paint supply store mix it up and put it into a spray can, or choose the appropriate paint and materials from a local home supply store.

A little bit of research, the proper materials, and a little practice, can lead to professional looking, longer lasting results.

(-It is also very easy to really mess things up - So my advice is to leave everything stock 
wink_face.gif
 )

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #35 of 44
Some white earpads could look nice on them. 

Oh, well...IMO. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #36 of 44
The prep work for spray painting would have been very difficult. There's all the metal parts that I did not want to cover, plus the headpads and earpads. Doable I suppose... easier on the PX100-ii though.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #37 of 44

Quote:

I used some red acrylic paint that I got from the dollar store. In retrospect, this was a really bad choice. I should have used modeling paint (which is enamel I think?). The acrylic was all splotchy and uneven, even after two coats, and had a very rough feel to it that would scratch off easily. My solution to this was to coat it with clear nail polish. Why nail polish? Because I didn't want to head back out to the store and buy a whole bottle of varnish for such a small project.

So anyhow, three coats of nail polish later (with at least a day or two to properly dry between coats) and it actually turned out really well. It smoothed out the splotchy colour and made it all smooth and shiny. I unfortunately goofed on a couple spots and you can see red on the foam. Amusingly, it's the same red splotch on both sides, so at least I'm consistent.

Project time: about a week. Actual work time (painting and paper cutting): maybe 3 hours.

The only downside is that now I won't have a PX100 anymore. Hmm, maybe I should get the 100ii...

get good paint you won't need varnish, and what type of varnish like hardware varnish?

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #38 of 44
Yeah if I were thinking ahead that would have been better... and by varnish, I guess I was thinking of a poly coat of some sort. I don't really know much about painting... *shrug*

I've seen a few tutorials since then so if I were to do this again I would approach it completely differently... then again my cost for the original paint job was literally $2 ($1 for the paint, $1 for the brushes). To do it "properly" would cost significantly more than $2.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #39 of 44

Quote:
Yeah if I were thinking ahead that would have been better... and by varnish, I guess I was thinking of a poly coat of some sort. I don't really know much about painting... *shrug*

I've seen a few tutorials since then so if I were to do this again I would approach it completely differently... then again my cost for the original paint job was literally $2 ($1 for the paint, $1 for the brushes). To do it "properly" would cost significantly more than $2.

lol I don't know anything about this type of painting but i do oil paint ^^, tryed painting some modded nerf guns with spray paint and other stuff, i failed XD

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #40 of 44
If I were to spray paint now, it would be clean -> sand -> clean -> prime -> paint -> paint -> paint -> poly -> poly

On the other hand, girls appreciate a hand painted gift much more...

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #41 of 44

Quote:
If I were to spray paint now, it would be clean -> sand -> clean -> prime -> paint -> paint -> paint -> poly -> poly

On the other hand, girls appreciate a hand painted gift much more...

oh didn't know it was gift ^^.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #43 of 44
Looks good, has the paint come off any?

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #44 of 44
Yeah, it's chipped off at the inside edge where it rubs against her hair pins. I'm sure it would have lasted longer had I used something other than dollar store acrylic paint (which doesn't adhere to plastic at all). Some modelling paint probably would have been a much smarter choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back