Eastern Electric DAC 001 (Sabre32) - What do we know about it?
Nov 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #76 of 94

Jon L said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK, here's some further info from Alex:

"After the low pass filter, the analog signal will be fed to the tube or ss amp stage by a selector switch. By tapping this switch, the signal goes either to the tube or the ss stage. The tube will be a single tube amp stage and the ss will be opamp. The tube will be a 12AU7. To conclude, the tube and the ss stage they stand alone each other, you only choose which one to put out (amplify) the final analog signal.

I hope the above helps.

Oh by the way, the shipping is about 2-3 month as this is the first lot and I hope everything runs smoothly :p

Cheers !

Alex"

Thanks for your analysis! It is just the solution for my problem, Nice writing, Now I understand more about it.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #77 of 94
Hey firstlorp, I realize this is your first post.  Welcome to head-fi!!!! and watch your wallet closely
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #78 of 94
STILL WAITING for a comparison!  
popcorn.gif

lots of good reviews about this product.  ANYBODY that can compare to any of the Audio-Gd line?  

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #81 of 94

Quote:
popcorn.gif

lots of good reviews about this product.  ANYBODY that can compare to any of the Audio-Gd line?  

There's this review comparing to the nfb-2 among others:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/175-eastern-electric-minimax-tube-dac

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #82 of 94

Quote:
Quote:
popcorn.gif

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/175-eastern-electric-minimax-tube-dac

I got the impression that the Minimax is bright-sounding from that review. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #84 of 94
My EE MM is currently burning in.
Its not bright at all, esp with the tubes kicked in. Cant wait to tube roll!
And for my nfb-3, which shud ship soon.
compared to the dacmagic, its miles ahead in resolution...

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #85 of 94
 After ordering mine I had a sinking feeling after reading somewhere that the ESS was "cold sounding".  I don't know where that came from as I'm finding it to be anything but. I bypassed volume control and dropped in a Genalex Gold Lion tube right off the bat and after two weeks it just seems to be getting better. It's smooth like a NOS DAC without being sluggish and as fast and detailed as you could hope for without sounding cold and thin. Simply put - this thing plays music.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #87 of 94
Cool, thanks for the comparison.  Although it's almost twice the price of the nfb-2, so I'd hope it would be a bit better :wink:  
Probably out of my price range anyway for now...

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #88 of 94

Quote:
Quote:
popcorn.gif

"Compared to the Audio-gd NFB-2, the MiniMax has far superior detail retrieval and more all-round joie de vie.  The NFB-2 is darker, more mysterious, more austere.  The MiniMax also serves up the superior instrument separation and spaciousness by surrendering some (relative) tonal density.  The Audio-gd is the darker olive oil, the MiniMax extra virgin and lighter."

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #90 of 94
I just took the plunge on this one, based on the positive reviews I have read over the net. I did however, also buy the Musical Fidelity - V-LINK - USB To SPDI1 converter http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89602
The only complaints people had about the EE was that the usb connection was subpar.
Now I also have to wait for my Lyr amp to show up to complete the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back