Eastern Electric DAC 001 (Sabre32) - What do we know about it?
Oct 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I came across this pre-order for a new Eastern Electric DAC incorporating the new Sabre32 9018 DAC and am very intrigued: Asylum Trader - Eastern Electric DAC 001

UPDATED LINK: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72820.0

I've been extreemly happy with their preamp and phonostage (Minimax) and I am tempted to try this.

THere isn't much mention of it online other than what 6moons mentioned in the manufacturers bulletin, but has anyone been following this?

I would want to feed it from a CD player, slimbox and my Verizon Fios box.

What do you guys think?

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 94
I've thought of making a preorder but just realized that they decided to drop out the balanced output
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 94
Thanks, Jon! I got an email back from Bill with more info but that supplemented it well and bridged some of the gaps in my understanding well.

I LOVE the addition of that toggle switch. Was it mentioned what tube would be used?

Bill addressed the opamp topic in the email he hit me with--apparantly it was something he too was concerned but he quoted me an exceprt from his discussion with one of engineer consulrants:

"...The dislike for op-amps by certain folks goes to show the extent to which we've been brainwashed into thinking these devices are a bad thing. It's all about implementation and if done right can be an amazing thing. I'm glad you went with the idea of providing both tube and SS outputs via a toggle switch. I am certain naysayers will appreciate it once they really have the option to play with the flexibility offered... "

Screw it... I'm sold! For $650 I'm going to roll the dice. If this is even half the "bang for your buck" of their phonostage and modded linestage I will be more than satisfied.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"...The dislike for op-amps by certain folks goes to show the extent to which we've been brainwashed into thinking these devices are a bad thing. It's all about implementation and if done right can be an amazing thing.

Haha, sure in theory implementation is very important. The fact is the vast majority of op-amp circuits out there are NOT implemented well. Here's to hoping EE implement the opamps well..

At least these days there are other options such as Burson and Audio-GD plug-and-play "discrete op-amps." Worst comes to worse, I still have my stash of OPA627's AD8620, AD8066, AD797, LM6172, etc.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 94
hmm, food for thought. either way I suspect the majority of my usage will be with the tube stage.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 94
OK, here's some further info from Alex:

"After the low pass filter, the analog signal will be fed to the tube or ss amp stage by a selector switch. By tapping this switch, the signal goes either to the tube or the ss stage. The tube will be a single tube amp stage and the ss will be opamp. The tube will be a 12AU7. To conclude, the tube and the ss stage they stand alone each other, you only choose which one to put out (amplify) the final analog signal.

I hope the above helps.

Oh by the way, the shipping is about 2-3 month as this is the first lot and I hope everything runs smoothly :p

Cheers !

Alex"

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 94
Niiice. I've got some nice 12au7s that were for my Minimax which will get put to use. I pretty much committed to buying one of these suckers to Bill--very exciting.

I actually JUST purchased a Squeezebox Duet for it on Audiogon.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Niiice. I've got some nice 12au7s that were for my Minimax which will get put to use. I pretty much committed to buying one of these suckers to Bill--very exciting.

Here's some further good news. You can use those nice E80CC tubes instead of 12AU7
smily_headphones1.gif

-------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. 2 quick Q's:

1. Can E80CC tube be used in the 12AU7 spot just like the EE preamp, which I used to use?

2. Is the SS output going to use dual op-amp or single op-amps and be socketed? Thanks.

Hi Jon,

1. Yes you can plug in the E80CC
2. it will be a socketed dual opamp aa

Cheers !

Alex

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 94
very cool!! I think I have a single Amprex (Bugle boy?) E80CC I've had sitting around idly in my tube box seeing no use. Will be nice to roll that in t here and see how she sounds.

This thing should be a monster--did you pre-order yet, Jon?

Are you going to be using any computer/squeezebox transports with yours?

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 94
ooooooooooo. But tell me this. Since this only has preouts, and has a volume control how are you supposed to integrate a headamp that doesn't have a loop (such as the Caliente) into a system that goes to a power amp and speakers.

I.e.

ideal: Macbook-->Dac (line out to KICAS) (Pre-out to power amp)----power amp--speakers

would RCA splitters significantly degrade the sound quality? Another option I suppose would be popping in a preamp downstream of the DAC but that just adds ANOTHER analog volume control, thats bad isn't it?

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by RipcordAFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And does anybody know anything about this company? The quality of their products?

There is a ton of information on the web about Eastern Electric. They've been reviewed by a lot of the larger publicasions as well, TAS, 6moons, etc. Quality of their products has been great thus far.

Right now I'm mating the Eastern Electric phonostage with a $4000 cartridge and it is NOT at all out of its league.

Jon,

Are you still following this product? I'm pretty excited for the finished product, but nobody likes the waiting game...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back