Eastern Electric DAC 001 (Sabre32) - What do we know about it?
Aug 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #32 of 94
eagerly awaiting more info on this baby!

What is the volume control for as I do not see a headphone jack..............

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 94

Quote:
I just love the negative comments by people who have never even heard it LOL.

I own it, and it is simply amazing sounding.  Get ready to spend at least $3500 to approach the same sound quality, and maybe much more !

I'm fairly sure that based upon the design and Eastern Electrics previous efforts that the MiniMax DAC is a hell of a bargain and certainly will compete with many DAC's several times its modest asking price. However you'll excuse me if I look upon this Blanket statement with a degree of incredulity. Which $3500 DAC's have you directly compared the MiniMax to? How many DAC's in that price range do you have intimate experience with that would lend your statement any credibility?

I believe you, it's probably a fantastic DAC regardless of price, but that doesn't mean that it beats all comers up to $3500; especially when subjective tastes come into play.

Maybe a little more information concerning what you perceive its attributes to be, and a little less hyperbole.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #35 of 94
Well .... I owned a high end audio store for 6 years, so I tried literally everything from Theta Digital, Ayre, Linn, Naim, DCS, Classe, McCormack, BEL, B&K, Accuphase, and many more ......

Shall I go on ?

Oh, details ?   OK

It has more dynamics and extension than my Bel Canto DAC 3.5,  it sounds more realistic than my Theta Gen V ii, and sounds way more like a live music event than my Naim CDX player.

Matter of fact, the only digital sources that I have owned that I think equal or better it are my $5000 Lexicon RT-20 player, and my $7000 Accuphase DP-78 player.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #38 of 94

Quote:
Btw downsize, do you prefer this dac with tube or ss?

I much prefer the sound when going through the tube. The engineer got the tube to solid state relation just right IMO.  The tube is just enough to give the sound that wonderful body, glow, and texture of tubes .... but without getting overly tubey sounding, or sacrificing the dynamics, speed, or extension of good solid state.

To me, they got it absolutely perfect.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #39 of 94
downsize, thanks for adding the extra info. Absolute blanket statements are much less informative than comparative opinions, or even descriptions of sonic characteristics.

Eastern Electric's new dac has piqued my curiosity. I wish there were a way to audition one without buying it, perhaps if I'm patient one will show up at a meet.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #40 of 94

Quote:
I much prefer the sound when going through the tube. The engineer got the tube to solid state relation just right IMO.  The tube is just enough to give the sound that wonderful body, glow, and texture of tubes .... but without getting overly tubey sounding, or sacrificing the dynamics, speed, or extension of good solid state.

To me, they got it absolutely perfect.

agreed.  I was concerned that with already using a tube hybrid amp, the tube in the dac might be too tubey, but it really just ads to the quality of the sound.  i tried the tube from the dac in my amp and it was just so so, which makes me curious as to what a "good" tube would sound like in the dac.   either way its nice to have the option to just eliminate the tube and run pure solid state.  that way if for some reason you dont like the tube sound, you're not stuck with it.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #41 of 94

Quote:
downsize, thanks for adding the extra info. Absolute blanket statements are much less informative than comparative opinions, or even descriptions of sonic characteristics.

Eastern Electric's new dac has piqued my curiosity. I wish there were a way to audition one without buying it, perhaps if I'm patient one will show up at a meet.

Come to Carolina's Canfest this weekend. Mine will be there.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #42 of 94
i think most of the discussion in this thread is about the eastern electric minimax tube dac.. not sure if that is the same as dac 001 (sabre32)  I dont remember that title being there when i posted... anyway if the OP is reading this you may want to change the name in the post to reflect the discussion

all my comments have been in reference to the minimax

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #43 of 94
Has anyone compared the EE to any Audio-GD DAC? Audio GD has launched its own line of Sabre DACs. They´re all solid state and have a lot of happy owners. Comparisons to any of their Reference models or the 19 are welcome. I think nobody has received the Sabre versions yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back