EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
Sep 24, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #1,503 of 1,544
Long time lurker here - but Jack & the Earwerkz team really deserve some recognition...

First things first, Jack is positively the best Customer Service Officer I've communicated with in a decade. After having gone through JH (sigh), Heir, Westone... Jack's CS really stands out. Apart from replying instantly (sometimes) at rather odd hours, Jack always comes across as very friendly and determined to make the customer have the best experience ever. All throughout our email correspondence (it was very long, I can assure you - I had many specific requests) Jack remained polite & earnest, holding true to a statement he made early on: whether it's 10.00 worth of Spinfits or 1300 worth of ciem every customer matters and counts, so thank you for giving us the opportunity to earn your business sir. He really gives 101% to his customers.

That's not to say that everything was bright and rosy. Having ordered it during their busy-as-heck Summersale period, (1) I was shipped a wrong-coloured cable and (2) on the day it arrived, the top half the left faceplate broke off as I was trying to change to an aftermarket cable. I emailed Jack and he assured me he would rectify the issue immediately. He also explained that the crystal-clear like finish (that makes EW CIEMs so pretty) can only be achieved with a thinner shell. 

[On a sidenote, because the shells are thinner, the CIEMs are literally weight-less! It is entirely possible to forget that they're there once you've put them on 
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Anyway, fast forward 2 weeks, I collected the repaired pair from Music Sanctuary. Here are some quick snaps I took:

As you can see, the build is flawless. Pictures really don't do them justice. The blue-gold Estron Litz wires are incredibly beautiful and the internal components are the one of the tidiest I've ever seen. And I'm a happy camper with my Silver Poison cables installed.

------------

SOUND-WISE, the Legend Ω is incredible (fine print: if you're looking for a dark, non-fatiguing sound - lest I be accused of blind hyping). These need at least 100 hours of burn-in (if I'm not wrong, Jack recommends far more) for the sound to open up and 'veil' to be lifted. Having come from the Tralucent 1P2 (which I love, but which gave me endless fit issues), I popped these in the moment I got them and was awfully disappointed - they lacked the resolution, soundstage... Long story short, BURN THEM IN.

My previous CIEM was the Heir 8.A (dated, I know
rolleyes.gif
). The 8.A had the tendency to smooth over everything and cover the entire stage in a blanket of thick, oozing warmth. This made it very easy to listen to, and great for bass/low mids, but pushed the upper registers back so far that they could barely be heard. The bass also lacked some definition. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, and I could see what the Wizard had intended with this signature - but its also probably why he revised the sound with the K10.

The Omega, being a dark monitor, shares a similar (read: not identical) signature. [That I was dissatisfied with the 8.A, but am now more than happy with the Omega, says something.] This means that it's not going to sparkle like neutral/treble-boosted monitors like the NT6/UM Miracle (or even with the brightness of the 1P2, for that matter). HOWEVER, the bass is far more controlled than the 8A and gives the rest of the spectrum time to shine. I feel right at home with its sound - no more is the muffled, thick sound of the 8A; the highest registers are readily audible yet smooth, with a slight roll off to keep it from peaking. Mids are rich and forward (edit: increasingly less so... pending more burn-in) resembling the Legend R, yet are able to take a step back to create space when the track calls for it. Bass is spectacular - so much so that I don't miss my 1P2: bass is full-bodied and rich, yet well-defined and imaged, and extends far down into the sub-bass.

The only thing some may find lacking (and myself too, at times) is the absence of bright/sparkly highs - but that would be entirely out of sync with its sound signature, and would possibly result in silibance. IMO, the magic of the Omega really lies in being able to portray detail & transparency yet still being very engaging and fun to listen to (i.e. not neutral-boring or bright/shrill as one would expect).

Staging & imaging are excellent - I'm hearing cues that I never did before, and instruments seem to all be in the right place no matter what track I listen to. Coherency is also top-notch - I've never been able to express this in words, but everything just comes together very well. 

The Omega also reveals the weakness of sources/tracks - but on the flip side, scales well with better sources. Having a high sensitivity, hiss is also a significant issue - but I suppose it provides motivation to upgrade one's source... 
biggrin.gif

Hope these impressions help - in summary, the Legend Omega is, without a doubt, a great CIEM well equipped to compete with other TOTL-class monitors. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a CIEM with a dark yet detailed sound signature. Beautiful design, perfect fit (I forgot to mention this above), and stellar CS really seal the deal.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,506 of 1,544
@enoyletoj thank you for such considered impressions. They truly are beautiful monitors, you must be ecstatic.

Thanks mate - just sharing my thoughts and hoping to help anyone who's considering getting a pair. CIEMs are terribly expensive these days... 

Which color option is that green shell? Peridot green?

Yep! Turned out quite abit clearer than I expected, but boy am I glad they did 
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,509 of 1,544
interesting direction to go in, merging with his father's business.  i'm excited to see what they have coming down the pipeline!

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,510 of 1,544
Very happy for Jack Vang and the direction he's taken with the new name. Can't wait to see the new lineup.
No wonder I couldn't find the EarWerkz fb page this morning.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #1,512 of 1,544
What was the business of Jack's father before? Was it called empire ears as well?

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,513 of 1,544
That's awesome news and I can't wait to see what they have coming for us.
Earwerkz was already so promising, EmpireEars is only going to get better.

So glad that Jack will be able to stay close to us as well.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #1,515 of 1,544
Weren't they in the hearing aid business? Not sure though
indeed. And if not mistaken his father is a master engineer.

It's praise worthy that Jack decided to switch seats to keep his ties to customers. A paragon of communication.

New line-up's making me very curious. More sound sig options is always good. jelt2359 you might find another contender to add along the Legend Omega to your Fit for a Bat 2 shootout :D

:beerchug: to Empire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back