EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
Dec 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #466 of 1,544
Hi everyone, 

This is my first post, but I've been a long-time lurker.  I have to say, I really appreciate the intelligent responses you guys give to newbies, rather than the flippant arrogant attitudes so often seen in specialty forums. I've been a music lover for my whole life, and especially on good speakers.  But my large investments have always been on speakers and amps.  I've gotten by with decent earphones, but I've always wanted to have a better sound experience.  I'm a frequent long-haul flyer recently, so it's become even more of a desire, plus made it a somewhat rational decision to spend some money on it.  Gotta have justification. 
wink_face.gif

That said, I've been eyeing 1964 CIEM's for a couple of years now, since my church worship team uses them, so I therefore have several friends that have a set. I was watching the Adel KS, but I just couldn't bite, especially with it ending at Christmas time and needing to buy gifts for others.  I also was very hesitant to pay $400 more than their previous TOTL model when only one person outside of the company had heard it. I figure if I can swing $1200 now, I can sell something to get the extra money it will cost down the road.

So I've also been keeping my eye on this Supra model, and I think I can swing that.  I've been using Shure 425's, which have been sufficient for me to be content for awhile.  But I have a couple of questions before biting on the Supras.  

1.  Can I expect the sound to be that much better than the 425's, considering they're both dual-driver?  This isn't a deal-breaker for me anyway, as I can sell the Shures and get close to breaking even on the upgrade.  I'm just mostly curious from an expectation standpoint.

2.  Seeing the option to get the Supras as customs now, what can I expect from a comfort level over the Comply tips?  I'm not as worried about isolation.  I'm a drummer, and the foam tips have been perfectly fine for isolation.  In fact I actually prefer a very little bit of room bleed when drumming, as I find it helps me feel the music better. But I am very concerned about comfort on long haul flights.  My Shures have been quite painful after about 4 hours.  Can I expect customs to be about the same in that regard, better, or worse? If it's not going to be worse, I'm inclined to go for the custom option, as I imagine the sound might be a little better over the universals.

Thanks for humoring a newbie, looking forward to trying something new, though not exactly sure how deep in this rabbit hole I can afford to go.

Phil

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #467 of 1,544
Hmm... well, the Supras are supposed to be a brighter take on neutral. I'm not sure whether the Supra would have enough grunt down low for a drummer. In any case, I'd research the difference between the Shure and the Supra and proceed from there. The pair that's right for you should address whatever qualms (if any) you have with the Shure. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #469 of 1,544
  Hi everyone, 

This is my first post, but I've been a long-time lurker.  I have to say, I really appreciate the intelligent responses you guys give to newbies, rather than the flippant arrogant attitudes so often seen in specialty forums. I've been a music lover for my whole life, and especially on good speakers.  But my large investments have always been on speakers and amps.  I've gotten by with decent earphones, but I've always wanted to have a better sound experience.  I'm a frequent long-haul flyer recently, so it's become even more of a desire, plus made it a somewhat rational decision to spend some money on it.  Gotta have justification. 
wink_face.gif

That said, I've been eyeing 1964 CIEM's for a couple of years now, since my church worship team uses them, so I therefore have several friends that have a set. I was watching the Adel KS, but I just couldn't bite, especially with it ending at Christmas time and needing to buy gifts for others.  I also was very hesitant to pay $400 more than their previous TOTL model when only one person outside of the company had heard it. I figure if I can swing $1200 now, I can sell something to get the extra money it will cost down the road.

So I've also been keeping my eye on this Supra model, and I think I can swing that.  I've been using Shure 425's, which have been sufficient for me to be content for awhile.  But I have a couple of questions before biting on the Supras.  

1.  Can I expect the sound to be that much better than the 425's, considering they're both dual-driver?  This isn't a deal-breaker for me anyway, as I can sell the Shures and get close to breaking even on the upgrade.  I'm just mostly curious from an expectation standpoint.

2.  Seeing the option to get the Supras as customs now, what can I expect from a comfort level over the Comply tips?  I'm not as worried about isolation.  I'm a drummer, and the foam tips have been perfectly fine for isolation.  In fact I actually prefer a very little bit of room bleed when drumming, as I find it helps me feel the music better. But I am very concerned about comfort on long haul flights.  My Shures have been quite painful after about 4 hours.  Can I expect customs to be about the same in that regard, better, or worse? If it's not going to be worse, I'm inclined to go for the custom option, as I imagine the sound might be a little better over the universals.

Thanks for humoring a newbie, looking forward to trying something new, though not exactly sure how deep in this rabbit hole I can afford to go.

Phil

It's been way too long since I owned the SE420 (never heard the SE425) to reliably say much about it in contrast to the Supra.  Suffice to say I think the Supra should have a more linear/neutral signature and extension on both ends (something I felt the SE420 lacked).

The Supra with comply tips is very comfortable for me.  Due to canal shapes, some find customs much more comfortable than universals but I find them to be a wash in differences here.  I get just as much comfort out of many universals as I do from customs.  It just really depends on the quality fit of each particular iem.  If your ears are sensitive to housings rubbing up against them and create pressure points, then a custom might be the better alternative.

As far as isolation: Etymotic = silicone customs > acrylic customs > universals.  This is my quick and dirty generalization from my experience.  All that goes out the door if your custom offers ambient vents/ports to let more surrounding noise come through.  Due to typically better isolation and bone conduction, the same iem in custom and universal form tend to have a little better bass depth and texture in the custom version.  Treble tends to be slightly smoother due to the deeper and consistent fit of the custom but universals let you slightly taylor the treble with varying tip bores, lengths and materials.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #470 of 1,544
  Hi everyone, 

wink_face.gif

Phil

My experience with customs differs from Shane's - Universal IEMs get uncomfortable after a few hours - the pressure of the tip pressing against the canal can be fatiguing. As for customs, I can wear them for hours with little to no discomfort - I have taken extended airplane trips and they are a godsend (other than the fact I often miss the drink cart as the stewardess rolls past me in the aisle) I am able to write at my desk with the music playing for hours and it is like the music is being injected into my brain - they disappear. I am always aware of universals - some more than others. The lighter the better.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #471 of 1,544
My Legend-R is enroute.. I should have it by the end of the week (I'm still blown away by having a seven/ten day lead-time w/o having to pay for rush.. so awesome).  BTW, I can't praise Jack/EarWerkz' customer service enough.. just top notch all the way.. extremely responsive, courteous, and gracious for the business.  Can't wait to hear this bad boy!  Impressions, comparisons, and all that to follow.. of course.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #474 of 1,544
@shotgunshane  I would love to see your thoughts on the Supra against 1964's V6-Stage.  :)  or you've done it already.  Lol  I've never tried the V6S myself but pp seems to praise it for accuracy/clarity (sorry if I got it wrong - -").  How would Supra hold up against it??  

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #475 of 1,544
  @shotgunshane  I would love to see your thoughts on the Supra against 1964's V6-Stage.  :)  or you've done it already.  Lol  I've never tried the V6S myself but pp seems to praise it for accuracy/clarity (sorry if I got it wrong - -").  How would Supra hold up against it??  

Unfortunately the only 1964 Ears that I've heard is the Quad, so unfortunately I can't help here.  I'd love the hear the V6 and V6-Stage sometime.

I'm going to try and get in 2 or 3 more Supra comparisons by tomorrow morning.  I'm planning on comparisons with the TDK BA200, HiFiMan RE400 and the UERM.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #476 of 1,544

Unfortunately the only 1964 Ears that I've heard is the Quad, so unfortunately I can't help here.  I'd love the hear the V6 and V6-Stage sometime.

I'm going to try and get in 2 or 3 more Supra comparisons by tomorrow morning.  I'm planning on comparisons with the TDK BA200, HiFiMan RE400 and the UERM.

Possible to do one comparison with the se846 as well? :)

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #477 of 1,544
I just realized there is a choice I've forgotten. Hero or Pro version. What are you guys getting?

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #478 of 1,544
  I just realized there is a choice I've forgotten. Hero or Pro version. What are you guys getting?

Well Hero style is hard wired, meaning that the cable can't be removed (at least that's what I'm assuming based off of the info on the KS page)... that also means the Linum Bax cable wouldn't work with it. As such, I'm definitely going for Pro.

Dang, I'd have loved to hear that comparison... thanks for all of the information anyways kind sir!

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #480 of 1,544

having the cable go over the ear has a lot of benefits for me. Definitely pro for me. Plus hero doesnt have detachable cable... so the estron cable would go to waste wouldnt it? =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back