EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Mar 28, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #1,203 of 1,260
What are the recommended tips for SEM9? Looks like people using spin fits?

For me the stock grey biflanges still sound the best but they're slighly too large- Ortofon tips work well too but lose their grip quickly without making a little adapter. I'm experimenting with Sony Triple Comforts recently but undecided about them- Most of the time I've been using foams Earsonics or Shure (I cut the wax guard out and stretch them out to avoid stressing nozzle).

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,204 of 1,260
Earsonics always drive me nuts because none of my "go to" tips fit them. For the S-EM9 I have found success with tips that came with a cheap pair of IEMs from China I bought. They are similar to these, which appear to be only slightly different from SpinFit: https://penonaudio.com/eartips/3-pairs-grey-red-eartips.html

The reason these work well for me is because they do not protrude as far as SpinFits, so they are more recessed and allow the S-EM9 to sit deeper in my ear. Same ones I use for my S-EM6 now that I think about it, but my Velvet is different. Anyway those are great for the price.

-Collin-

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #1,205 of 1,260
At least the ES series gives a little more contact surface (for instance Sony tips fit ok)- also one of the most comfortable IEM shapes i've ever used. I've been using the small black biflanges with the ES5... unfortunately they're the worst sounding tips I've used with S-EM9 :shrug:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,206 of 1,260
Just got an S-EM9 from a user on this site on this site with a Linum BaX cable. Would like to confirm that they are super super comfortable. They fit perfectly in my ear. For me they are more comfortable than Shure headphones even though those are a tad smaller. I've been wearing them for awhile and have experienced 0 discomfort at all. I can also lie down on my bed with the side of my head in my pillow without any discomfort. Feeling pretty lucky as I had no chance to try these on and they are a completely perfect fit right out of the box. However unless you have very large or small ears I think this would be the case for lots of people.

Listening to them straight out of my LGV30, as well as through my Dragonfly red. Haven't tried them with the stock cable and don't plan on it, but I doubt theres much of a change as the BaX is more about comfort than enhanced sound.

Haven't listened to them enough to say anything that hasn't been said about the sound in this thread, but in the 1/2 hour I've listened to them I would agree they are indeed very very fast.

I bought them as a compliment to my Mr Speakers Aeon closed back headphones. I wanted something portable, extremely comfortable, and with a sound signature that wasn't completely neutral but also wasn't too skewed. At the store I tried for example Campfire Audio Cascades and they were completely unlistenable with the amount of bass they pumped in. The S-EM9 have a slight U-shape, but the other headphones I have are reference tuned basically, and these are a more "musical" and "fun" compliment, perfect for on the go listening and to mix it up so I don't get bored. I think it makes sense that many artists and producers are tuning their music knowing that 99% of people are listening with a U shaped tuned device.

I listen to lots of jazz, which varies from modern stuff to old school bop (Art Pepper, John Coltrane, etc) with lots of fusion (Allan Holdworth for example) and these seem like they fit the bill well. I was a bit worried about this as lots of reviewers are saying these are perfect for EDM and not ideal for jazz, but I don't think they understand how fast and crazy jazz usually is, especially with fusion. So yeah these fit jazz really well in my opinion, especially anything from the mid 60s onward. To say, for example, that these fit R&B well but not jazz makes no sense to me as these genres are pretty similar tonally in my opinion.

These also fit rock and metal really well as others have mentioned.

In terms of ear tips I'm going to play around, but the stock ones work fine. The earphones are so comfortable that you probably can't go wrong. The size is kind of strange, they are comply T160. I spent 40 dollars ordering a bunch of tips lol.

I think the stock ones do loosen up over time unfortunately, as the medium ones I got don't like to stay on, but the smalls do. I actually got the medium pair stuck in my ear for about a minute so I'm sticking with the smalls until my aftermarket ones arrive even though they are a tad small for me and dont provide the most isolation. The pair I have are pretty old though as they are in mmcx so maybe these are before they started selling them with new tips.

But yeah if you are looking for a versatile, extremely comfortable earphone with a slight U-shape I think these fit the bill well. I got them for 875 used with shipping and paypal included.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,207 of 1,260
Just wanted to thank you guys for your knowledge and posts throughout this thread. I just placed an order for S-EM9s and just picked up an Oppo HA2-SE as well. I'm thinking of picking up a Meier Corda Classic and Daccord stack next for my more desktop listening.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #1,208 of 1,260
Really enjoying this pairing...

82E5FACF-5B0D-4219-8CD1-73750320A939.jpeg

Forward sounding LPG pairs remarckably well with Laidback EM10...

The EM10 is perhaps not the most resoloute of my iems but is very very very musical, it reminds me to EE Phantom, trading less forward mids and less extension in both ends for more body and thump in the midbass.

I can use them for hours and hours with no fatigue at all...

Always a fan of Earsonics Sound Signature and EM10 is their masterpiece yet...

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,212 of 1,260
I just got my S-EM9s the other day and trying out all the tips I've got... so far I'm getting the best sound out of the double-flange tips that came with them. I'm thinking of picking up a set of SpinFit CP100s or CP800s... but was wondering, do I need to do any jerry-rigging to get them to fit correctly?

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,213 of 1,260
I just got my S-EM9s the other day and trying out all the tips I've got... so far I'm getting the best sound out of the double-flange tips that came with them. I'm thinking of picking up a set of SpinFit CP100s or CP800s... but was wondering, do I need to do any jerry-rigging to get them to fit correctly?

Yeah in my experience the spinfit nozzle is a tad too large. Honestly ive tried a ton of tips and the double flange it comes with is still the best one.

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,215 of 1,260
Yeah, that's what I'm noticing. I just wish I had more of them.

You can buy all tip types direct through Earsonics. The foams are pretty decent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back