EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Dec 11, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #346 of 1,260
I try to not be explicit about publicly picking favorites
smily_headphones1.gif

They all have very different signatures with their own strengths; none of them is neutral. Each is much better than the other for a certain type of music or preference. 

Besides the chance that my preference is the same as yours is really small, so it wouldn't really say anything 
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #348 of 1,260
Are you deciding between the S-EM9 and K10?

This might appear biased, but a lot of very experienced listeners feel that the Solar has a similar signature to the K10 but with better treble and imaging. Quite plainly a better K10. If you are thinking of the K10, I would definitely consider the Solar. And S-EM9 of course 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you would be deciding between the S-EM9 and Solar (or Zeus) feel free to shoot pm.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #351 of 1,260
  I like them, but they shy on bass.

I'm surprised you found them bass shy. Several people stated they are comparable to Velvet's in warm mode in which they are certainly not bass shy no matter how you look at them. Relatively speaking which IEMs do you think are not bass strong?

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #352 of 1,260
  I'm surprised you found them bass shy. Several people stated they are comparable to Velvet's in warm mode in which they are certainly not bass shy no matter how you look at them. Relatively speaking which IEMs do you think are not bass strong?

Although I do think they have as much bass as the Velvet in warm mode, I have also mentioned I think perception of bass is different because the S-EM9 has a much less U shaped signature. It's less prominent to my ears. I don't know Lotoo paw gold that @vladzakhar, but I have noticed that bass is significantly affected by source, for example bass have more impact, definition and texture driven from the Mojo than the ZX2. I would intuitively think it's less important for IEMs that full sized headphones (that's my general experience), but in that case it sure makes a difference.

This being said even from the ZX2 I'd say the S-EM9 match the Velvet, and are (surprisingly) better than the SE846 (sub bass wise the edge might go to SE846). Quantity is less than the XBA-Z5 but then again it's a 16mm dynamic driver on those, and the S-EM9 bass is of course faster, and definitely more disciplined and detailed :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #353 of 1,260

I think he was referring to the tips, not the S-EM9 in general. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #354 of 1,260
Yes I did reference to the stock tips to have less bass impact then some other tips, spin fits for example.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #355 of 1,260
Got you, my bad! Hope you are all enjoying your SEM9s. I'm really on the fence here trying to decide whether I should upgrade from my Velvets or not.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #356 of 1,260
I do enjoy them, indeed. It's clearly step above my beloved W60.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #358 of 1,260
  Just bought one from Dimitri - Musica Acoustics.

Let the wait game begin..

Congrats!
I think coming from the Velvet that's the perfect upgrade path :D

Growing numbers!

On a sidenote, received the Whiplash cable at last (sutck at customs for a while), but wrong plug it's 2.5mm TRRS, the ZX2 is so not standard that even insisting on 3.5 TRRS I ended up with 2.5... now need to send it back and wait... 

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #359 of 1,260
More I listen to them, more I love them. Such an incredible Iems. Resolution is to die for. Sound stage is deeeep. I wouldn't say they U shaped. In my opinion they closer to flat reference sound. But not boring flat, with a lot of air. Definitely, much better then W60s. At least for electronic music. Their sound reminds of something in between of HD800 and Audeze LCD-XC. 
I am very glad I bought them and they totally TOTL iems.
Also, after experimenting with different tips I came back to stock double flanges. They sound the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back