Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,336 of 1,656
Could you post a photo? Looking at mine I can't quite picture what you're describing.

There's nothing that would show up as visible on a picture- there are tiny black bits coming off the strain relief, but otherwise nothing else visible. 
This fault seems very weird, as when I posted, it had wigged out the day before and been very bad for holding together, but I haven't had a problem since despite normal use. I wish I knew what was going on...

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,338 of 1,656
  I've had my various EarSonics IEMs for years and haven't had any problems with build quality. Of course, I take well care of them and always store them in the enclosed EarSonics case. IME I would call EarSonics' build quality sufficiently good, certainly not "infamous". I really don't think that is a correct description and consequently not very helpful to the Head-Fi community.

When my friend and I opened up the SM64, we responded with "what...I paid so much for this cheap plasticky looking earphone in some cheap packaging" but after we both listened to it, we forgot all about it. It was like none other we've experienced from the hundreds of IEMs we've tried despite it's 5kHz dip which I noticed immediately. But after that burn in...wow. I admit they don't look all that attractive but the sound is beautiful. Currently, using the newly released Velvet and taking that sound signature the soundstage and resolution is on another level.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,339 of 1,656

I've had my various EarSonics IEMs for years and haven't had any problems with build quality. Of course, I take well care of them and always store them in the enclosed EarSonics case. IME I would call EarSonics' build quality sufficiently good, certainly not "infamous". I really don't think that is a correct description and consequently not very helpful to the Head-Fi community.

When my friend and I opened up the SM64, we responded with "what...I paid so much for this cheap plasticky looking earphone in some cheap packaging" but after we both listened to it, we forgot all about it. It was like none other we've experienced from the hundreds of IEMs we've tried despite it's 5kHz dip which I noticed immediately. But after that burn in...wow. I admit they don't look all that attractive but the sound is beautiful. Currently, using the newly released Velvet and taking that sound signature the soundstage and resolution is on another level.

I fear the worst, but we'll see... The signature of the SM64 is the one I can identify within fractions of a second. It is unique (in the true sense of the word) and outstanding. I have great trust in the integrity of EarSonics. I hope the Velvet won't change that, bringing us just another highly resolving phone with a spacious soundstage and a screwdriver to make it V-shaped. I need my 5 kHz suckout!

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,340 of 1,656
so i suppose these work well straight out of an HTC One M8?  i'm mostly looking for an IEM in the quality range of Vsonic GR07 or Brainwavz B2 but with removable cables, as my headphone cables have a habit of dying after a few months even if i'm taking good care of them.  or maybe someone can recommend an IEM in a lower price range with removable cables and quality similar to GR07 or B2.

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,341 of 1,656
  so i suppose these work well straight out of an HTC One M8?  i'm mostly looking for an IEM in the quality range of Vsonic GR07 or Brainwavz B2 but with removable cables, as my headphone cables have a habit of dying after a few months even if i'm taking good care of them.  or maybe someone can recommend an IEM in a lower price range with removable cables and quality similar to GR07 or B2.

May be you go to the wrong place, the SM64 can not be in the quality range of GR07 or B2....it is in upper tier :p 

For similar price range, may be you want to consider the sm3 v2.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #1,342 of 1,656

I have an M8 and it does a great job with most iems. I read somewhere the HTC m8 Dac is exceptionally good for a mobile device (if someone is able to back that up, that would be great) so drives even these bad boys.
With regards to your comparisons though, within that price range you're better off looking at some Sennheiser ie8s or if you're lucky you might find some Pre owned sm64s- they wont sound anything like the gro7s or the others mind you. Youd be making quite a big jump in sound quality!

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,343 of 1,656

Yes the sm64s sound great straight out of the M8, and even better when paired with a good dac/amp. You could try the audio technica ath-im70, its around the same price as the gr07 and has detachable cables. The Shure se215 is another option around the same price with removable cables. Both are fairly bassy iems and sound pretty good for the price imo.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,345 of 1,656

I have used the SM64 extensively with the m8 and they are fine :wink:

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,346 of 1,656
I have just gotten the SM64 a few days ago, and felt like I would like to offer my first impressions.
I am currently to very capable IEMs, one being the SM64 and the other being the hybrid Fidue A83
I am very content with either pick as far as great sound quality and solid seal. The SM64 is my go to between the two because I find it signature intimate for a lack of better words.
The fidue may push more details forward, and indeed sounds very balanced, but the SM64 has great details just doesn't shove them forward but the beauty to it so far 
for me is the tonality and blend of imaging, space, timbre. I really do after giving some more hours think it is a great IEM for sub 500$

Quote:
I got a DX90 earlier this week and it sounds incredible. Perfect pairing.

It is actually part of the reason I went with the SM64 I had read about it's strengths and seemed to me at least that it would pair very well with my already owned DX90.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,347 of 1,656
Also, is the cable suppose to be this hard to remove the earphones from ? I do not know I cannot seem to disconnect it?

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,348 of 1,656
  Also, is the cable suppose to be this hard to remove the earphones from ? I do not know I cannot seem to disconnect it?

It is absolutely possible to remove it, but it's really not easy. You could try to "pry" it out with a tiny needle.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,349 of 1,656

Mine comes out and goes in with some well placed wiggling.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,350 of 1,656
Mine comes out and goes in with some well placed wiggling.

O yeah I got it out as soon as  I posted actually. I am really digging the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back