Earsonics SM3 vs. JH5s (and Universal vs. Custom in general)
Jun 30, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
'Better' is subjective. However, I would like to know more about how JH5 and SM3 compare, especially in terms of imaging, instrument separation, and accuracy. Please give us more information PlayableOfaDuck!

When someone merely says one thing is better than another without further explanation, I'd it with a grain of salt.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
So, did you have the SM3 with you when you listened to the JH5? Did you listen to the same music at the same volume from the same source within quick succession?

If not, the comparison is pointless, and even then unscientific at best.  The ear has less memory than a goldfish.

Very true. There are people comment and compare things based on memory, not even stating 'based on memory'.

Quote:
When someone merely says one thing is better than another without further explanation, I'd it with a grain of salt.

That's the reason why I asked for further information :)

I am getting very interested in this thread, because at first I thought chances of people own or heard both SM3 and JH5 is small, but there comes PlayableOfaDuck. I hope he/she will be giving some further thoughts on this topic, not just simply saying 'better' and leave this thread.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #19 of 31
I mean no offense to you PlayableOfaDuck. I just hope you are willing to share your thoughts on how the two compare, or perhaps some words on why you prefer JH5 to SM3.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #20 of 31
It's not just a matter of better or not, but the question is more like "how are they different?" Let people decide with their own preferences. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #21 of 31
When I heard the the JH5, I would nat have guessed it 2 driver and was surprised by it color. Really nice mids. Hard to believe these were done by the same guy that did the UE5pro which I dislike. I'm not a boom, tinkle kind of guy. It seemed both accurate and not analytical without the 'dryness' or coolness some associate with BAs. JH13s are more dry and better but maybe not be for all, just like the SM3 which I have not heard. In fact, descriptions of the SM3 sound a bit similar to what I heard from the JH5.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #25 of 31
As far as universal vs. customs in general, I can tell you that I spent close to twice as much getting a Tf-10 remolded into a custom with an additional mid-driver, and I much prefer my universal e-Q7. I also have custom tips for my Etymotics, and I prefer the universal Sony Hybrids. Maybe the JH-13 Pro would be better, but at this price point the customs were a waste of money for me.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #26 of 31
I don't necessarily prefer universals to customs, I just don't prefer customs to universals in terms of the comfort of them.
I was leaning towards the JH5s until the SM3s popped up on the radar...

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 31
Yeah I wish I had just gotten some SM3s instead of embarking on my little custom adventure
mad.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #28 of 31
Adding drivers and such is always a risk however as it's more drivers, crossover may have to be changed, etc. That sucks it didn't work out for you with that grokit but I think buying a custom from the company shouldn't be as bad. Of course I don't know anything about customs and won't be able to see for myself for a couple weeks.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #29 of 31

Quote:
Pianist said

"Did you listen to both"

Yes i did , JH5pro demo are better than SM3

JH demo in Thailand

Please keep in mind that you need to listen to the SM3 for a minimum of a week or two to fully appreciate them. You also need good tips (I don't mean a good seal). The SM3's are very tip dependant.

One person actually compared the Earsonics SM3 and the JH13 Pro. In essence, he said that it was a matter of taste between the two headphones. The quote is on page 131 (post 1952) on the SM3 Appreciation Thread. Here is the original quote:

That brings up one of the ideas I see repeated that isn't always true; that going to
high end custom means the end of lusting after universals. It doesn't necessarily work that
way. It didn't for me. I would bet for a significant number of people expressing the idea, it won't either.

The JH13 is a remarkable piece of engineering and worth every bit of it's price. How it
manages to use 6 BA drivers and the associated crossovers and sound so seamless and smooth is nearly
unbelievable. The presentation is seamless, like a single driver IEM, fast like any BA and extended
on both top and bottom in line with the best universals.  

but

It is only one version of sonic presentation. It is easily possible to have a high end custom and still
choose to spend listening time with "lesser" IEMs. I've had the JH13 for a year now. Over the last few months
at least half my listening time is with other IEMs. For the most recent few months it's been the e-Q7. Now it's
the SM3. The SM3 may very well end up beating my favorite universal, the e-Q7 sound wise, although the build never will.

The SM3 seems to match up pretty well with the JH13 as far as frequency extension, both top and bottom.
The mids on the SM3 are more forward and a little "hotter" than the JH13. The JH13 is quite a bit smoother
across the spectrum than the SM3, which isn't to say I hear the SM3 as peaky. The SM3 makes a very good
transition through the frequencies, but it isn't seamless. The SM3 has very nearly equal clarity to the JH13,
and not far behind the CK10, which has the most clarity of any IEM I've heard. 

So far, the unique feature I hear in the SM3 is it's soundstage and image. It's very impressive, but at the same time
sometimes not "real". The soundstage reminds me of the HD800, which is my favorite fullsize can. The HD800 throws an amazing,
huge 3d soundstage, even when it's not called for. The SM3 does somewhat the same thing, although not to the extent
the HD800 does. I like the effect on a lot of material, but not on everything. In comparison the JH13 has about
as "honest" an image and soundstage as I've heard in IEMs. Everything is in the correct location and of the correct size.
The soundstage on the JH13 disappears because nothing much surprises or disappoints.

That's my 2[size=12pt]¢ so far on the JH13 vs SM3 comparison. [/size]

It seems like the Earsonics SM3 is a much better deal. If you don't like it, the resale value is extremely high (I have seen it sold for more than retail). If you do like it, you can get custom tips or a full custom remold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back