Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #481 of 1,167
^I like Tool a lot.. "The Patient" is my fav so far :)  which other albums would you recommend ? 

So I found something that I might consider a negative.. the SM3 might be a little bit too analytical for me at times.. every once in a while I find my self analyzing what I am hearing and not simply enjoying the music.. it might be a matter of my brain adjusting and getting used to it, but for now it happens every once in a while. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #482 of 1,167
^ I'll PM you.

And yes I would say so, or you might come to find out it's your source or you just don't like them.

They do take a bit to get used to more so then other IEM's i've had.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #483 of 1,167
^Thank you! 

I like the sound overall.. very much so actually.. But i am so used to my RE0, that anything else would get some getting used to, and if (like you said) they take a little longer to get used to, it is just a matter of time. 

Does anyone want the comply foam that comes with them ? I won't be using it.. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #484 of 1,167

Quote:
^I like Tool a lot.. "The Patient" is my fav so far :)  which other albums would you recommend ? 

So I found something that I might consider a negative.. the SM3 might be a little bit too analytical for me at times.. every once in a while I find my self analyzing what I am hearing and not simply enjoying the music.. it might be a matter of my brain adjusting and getting used to it, but for now it happens every once in a while. 

I get this way when I start A/Bing Things. And then I have to get my mind back into listening as a whole. I use meditation and concentration to refocus. I sometimes get this way with both my W3's and 535's. Someone here at Headfi (wish I remembered who it was)
said it is more of learning to listen rather than brain burn in, and I could not agree with that more. When I first fired up the W3's I actually didn't really like them. They were forward, and Dark at the same time, and very detailed and seemed cluttered. But once I let go and of course found compatible tips, they sparkled immensely, with details and air  

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #485 of 1,167
Im glad your enjoying the SM3.  I do like the sound signature and with every music I enjoy it.  Ya I think the cord might have tinged up a little because the little case it comes with I would put my sansa clip in the pouch with the earphones.  Thats the only explanation I can come up with.  Other than that Tool is awesome!  I like their music.  Same here with the verity of music.  Everything I throw at it I enjoy.  =)

Quote:

[size=medium]

I can't really think of anything for now... size might be a potential problem for people with smaller ears. I haven't seen the v1 in person, but from pics I've seen it looks smaller than the v2. 

The cable actually seems really nice, i don't think there will be any issues similar to what you are experiencing.

I am able to equally enjoy Dexter Gordon, John Digweed, 2Pac, beastie boys, daft punk, Ludwig van, and Johnny Cash.. 
they are taking my music listening experience to whole new level

Here is a pic of the y-splitter if that helps you:

next to my RE0 

btw you guys made me get Lateralus by Tool.. will give a listen tomorrow. 

[/size]

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #486 of 1,167
My v2s sound quite a bit different (and BETTER) than my v1s. Maybe it's just my brain playing tricks on me, but I'm hearing things that cannot simply be explained by the wider holes in the tips or a more precise fit. A wider sound stage and more detailed instrument separation for starters. Anyone else?

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #488 of 1,167

Quote:
^ I'll PM you.

And yes I would say so, or you might come to find out it's your source or you just don't like them.

They do take a bit to get used to more so then other IEM's i've had.

Yup, definitely agree with that. They DO take longer to get used to but once you do, you just won't be able to put them down. At least that's how it was for me. I assume you've already PMed go0gle so I wont repeat
tongue_smile.gif
. But basically they only have a few albums, all of which are gems IMO. Aenimais my real favourite but its slightly muddy production causes me to turn to Lateralus ever so often.

Quote:
That can be explained by more precise fit. 

Agreed again. Franck has already mentioned that there is no difference component-wise (drivers, x-overs, etc) between the v1 and v2. Only difference is the housing, replaceable cables and new tips. So yes, a better fit being the reason for an even better sounding SM3 makes alot of sense to me.

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #489 of 1,167
Wow thanks for clarifying. I'm quite pleasantly surprised that the improved tips/fit are creating what I consider to be a sizable improvement in sound quality. What this means is that I wasn't getting all that great of a seal with the v1s and I didn't even realize it! Crazy.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #491 of 1,167

Quote:
Im glad your enjoying the SM3.  I do like the sound signature and with every music I enjoy it.  Ya I think the cord might have tinged up a little because the little case it comes with I would put my sansa clip in the pouch with the earphones.  Thats the only explanation I can come up with.  Other than that Tool is awesome!  I like their music.  Same here with the verity of music.  Everything I throw at it I enjoy.  =)

Wait, you can fit the headphones and your sansa clip in that little tiny case ? I will have to try that : )

So far I like the Sm3v2.. I am almost to the point where I can justify my purchase 100%.. maybe in a day or two. 

The sound is great, but I am consistently impressed by the amount of isolation they provide. Went to the gym today, and there are couple of guys there that always act like they own the place, dropping 100 lbs. weights on the floor, banging them together, screaming while doing reps.. that kind of stuff. So with my RE0 I was able to hear some of that, as a matter of fact, probably most of it.. not today, the only reason I knew that those dumbells were hitting the ground, was the vibrations beneath my feet, in my ears there was nothing else but the SM3 pumping house beats. Another instance is while biking.. because I can't hear anything else but music (even the wind is gone) I think my body kind of adjusts to it and it "sharpens" my other senses even more.. I don't even know if that is possible, but I can feel more vibrations comming trough the frame, I am more alert.. maybe its all in my head. 

Quote:
Yup, definitely agree with that. They DO take longer to get used to but once you do, you just won't be able to put them down. .

Indeed, i had a day off today and I've been listening to them basically all day.. 

@oclafcire which tips are you using ? 

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #492 of 1,167

Quote:
Which cables are compatible with these? I'm looking for a budget alternative. Will a TF10 cable fit?

No idea, its possible tho. These connectors are meant to be generic but theres always a slight variance. For example, apparently in order to use the Westone cable on a TF10, you'd have to the connectors down a little. Has anyone actually tried using alternate cables with the SM3s? Would be nice to hear an impression if so.

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #493 of 1,167
Ya They can fit but I think thats what made the cable tinged a little under the y-splitter.  I took it out since Im out of commission from surgery for an ACL and patella repair in my left knee.  Ya The isolation I enjoy a lot.  When Im at the weight room I completely forget that everyone is in the gym because Im zoning.  I just get in there do what I need to do and get out.  I hate talking to people while lifting or having to fiddle around with my earphones to get a good fit like I had problems with the IE8.  I did enjoy them but I prefer the sound and isolation more than the IE8.  I am interested in the SM3 v2.  But I'll need to wait to get those since my surgery put me out of work for about 6 weeks.  
The SM3 is a good earphone and so far my go to more than any other headphone I've had.  

Quote:

Wait, you can fit the headphones and your sansa clip in that little tiny case ? I will have to try that : )

So far I like the Sm3v2.. I am almost to the point where I can justify my purchase 100%.. maybe in a day or two. 

The sound is great, but I am consistently impressed by the amount of isolation they provide. Went to the gym today, and there are couple of guys there that always act like they own the place, dropping 100 lbs. weights on the floor, banging them together, screaming while doing reps.. that kind of stuff. So with my RE0 I was able to hear some of that, as a matter of fact, probably most of it.. not today, the only reason I knew that those dumbells were hitting the ground, was the vibrations beneath my feet, in my ears there was nothing else but the SM3 pumping house beats. Another instance is while biking.. because I can't hear anything else but music (even the wind is gone) I think my body kind of adjusts to it and it "sharpens" my other senses even more.. I don't even know if that is possible, but I can feel more vibrations comming trough the frame, I am more alert.. maybe its all in my head. 

Quote:

Indeed, i had a day off today and I've been listening to them basically all day.. 

@oclafcire which tips are you using ? 

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #494 of 1,167

Quote:
 Aenimais my real favourite but its slightly muddy production causes me to turn to Lateralus ever so often.

Oh yes, Animals by Pink Floyd is a great album, in fact, my favourite PF album and pretty much the only one I still listen to now and again.  :wink:

Quote:
Which cables are compatible with these? I'm looking for a budget alternative. Will a TF10 cable fit?

I'd be very careful about trying/getting TF10 aftermarket cables as the prongs on the TF10 cables are shorter than the Westone ES Series cables (used on the UM3X), which I'm pretty sure Earsonics is using for the Sm3 v2, or at least they look like an exact replica of said cables.

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #495 of 1,167
I'm just using the stock bi-flanges right now. They penetrate deeper somehow on the v2s. That's what she said, right? I've played around with a few other tips (olives, complys) but the bi-flanges really do the trick. I'd be interested in trying some TRI-flanges for even more penetration, as my ear canals are rather whoreish. On a side note, I listen to all genres of music on the sm3s, even kidzbop, and they perform magnificently across the musical spectrum, but where they really, REALLY shine is electronica. You wanna give your sm3s (and your eardrums) a workout? Listen to Vessel by Jon Hopkins. Holy mother of god that sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back