Earsonics sm3 V2
May 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #182 of 1,167

Quote:
Geruvah said:

I really want to try the Sm3. I have the 535 and W3 and  everyone,LOVE both of them albeit very different. I stayed away from sm3 as there were so many reports of a really cheap build. I guess in one way I can understand how they simply cant just upgrade everyone, but on the other hand, who should take a hit for a poor quality build where there are so many reports of the shells falling apart. Should paying customers take a hit?

May 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #183 of 1,167

Quote:
I wouldn't trust any 3rd party company to reshell the SM3 into a custom. I've read too many posts about changed sound signatures from reshelling (usually not to the better).

Also, the Westone 4 are $450, and they sound exactly the same as the single-armature $150 Phonak PFE. It's all relative... :wink:

I highly doubt that 4 and the PFE???

May 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #184 of 1,167
There was really nobody else taking a hit after they updated their build sometime in 2010. In fact, I was the only reported one after it. And nobody's taking a hit anywhere. If you want to upgrade, you pay. If you just want it repaired, they'll do it for free.

Quote:

I really want to try the Sm3. I have the 535 and W3 and  everyone,LOVE both of them albeit very different. I stayed away from sm3 as there were so many reports of a really cheap build. I guess in one way I can understand how they simply cant just upgrade everyone, but on the other hand, who should take a hit for a poor quality build where there are so many reports of the shells falling apart. Should paying customers take a hit?

May 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #185 of 1,167

Quote:
I measured 17 Ohm resistance (not impedance).

Dude, we have different SM3 V1's, then!

Mine measured 32 ohms DC resistance, both sides measure the same, I would believe it is 34 ohm at 1kHz. Maybe they added resistor in the cabling for newer productions? (wouldn't surprise me, the ER4P are said to be using 5 ohm drivers, Ety then add 20R resistor, plus 2R from the cable, that makes the 27R total)

May 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #186 of 1,167

Just received my V1's from SoundEarphones, ordered over the weekend and arrived on Friday, that is pretty fast for free shipping (from Ohio to Colorado). It even requires a signature on delivery.

V1 initial impression:...... kind of reminds me a Beyer 990/600, but with a bit more mids and slightly less bass.

The main issues:
-- Voice replay is a little "nasal". And I detect housing resonance when playing percussion tracks, especially when playing Evelyn Glennie's Rhythm Song (in Her Greatest Hits album)
-- either my outter ear is too big or too small, these phones don't lock into my ear. I can even get the Stax 001/003 to lock, but not these. I guess the phone housing is too thick to wedge between the ears "locking features" (have no idea what those folds are called). If I change the tip to Ety tri-flange, it will lock with no problem but the sound is not as transparent as the Earsonic bi-flange.
-- I can get a good seal if I find the sweet spot and keep still. But the way the housing pushing in the ear gave me a headache after 30 minutes.

I guess the new V2 housing design is a lot more than just for looks, it probably is necessary to go to a new housing to address the three issues above. 

May 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #187 of 1,167
I have had a very good experience using the Head Directs modded biflanger since they push the house slightly further out from the ear and I also prefer the seal and sound much better than the new stock tips that was included 

May 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #188 of 1,167
Nobody got the V2 yet?

I'm holding off purchase for now until I read some reviews... I am doubtful the new design is much more ergonomic=hurt-free; could rounded edges really make a big difference, considering the old and new housings seem to be the same size?

Also, the sound is said to have remained intact, but a point dfkt made in another forum got me worried (the impedance difference and all)... I wouldn't want to make the purchase and then realize the beautiful sound of V1 is missing or changed...

So... Waiting for your impressions V2 owners... Come on...

May 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #189 of 1,167

Quote:
Nobody got the V2 yet?

I'm holding off purchase for now until I read some reviews... I am doubtful the new design is much more ergonomic=hurt-free; could rounded edges really make a big difference, considering the old and new housings seem to be the same size?

Also, the sound is said to have remained intact, but a point dfkt made in another forum got me worried (the impedance difference and all)... I wouldn't want to make the purchase and then realize the beautiful sound of V1 is missing or changed...

Frank from ES said that they are not different in impedance.  You can email them to find this out too.  Apparently a lot of ppl asked about it and thats what their explanation was.  

May 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #190 of 1,167
Made my order on 9 May and my status is still "Pending"

Quote:
Nobody got the V2 yet?

May 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #191 of 1,167
They look great... Hope to see some impressions soon 
beerchug.gif

May 25, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #193 of 1,167
Soundearphones, as of 2 days ago, says they are shipping. Last one to review it is a rotten egg. First one to review is my hero ... albeit one with a lighter wallet/purse :wink:

May 25, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #194 of 1,167
Soundearphones, as of 2 days ago, says they are shipping. Last one to review it is a rotten egg. First one to review is my hero ... albeit one with a lighter wallet/purse :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back