EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #798 of 2,831
Jun 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #799 of 2,831
So now they're apparently delivered to the wrong address, my home instead of work. I have them shipped to work for a reason- so I can spend several hours worth of quiet listening on the first day while I get stuff done. But that's now messed up too. I could have been forming some initial thoughts about them right now, but nope. 

So what kind of shipping service does 30 euros buy? The incompetent kind? 

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #800 of 2,831

Quote:
Info from Franck paraphrased:

EarSonics had to redo their existing stock and ship back orders as well as new orders because of the changing of the plastic composition of the shell.  There will be short delays for this week and maybe the beginning of next week, about 2 to 3 days until the catch up.  In 2 weeks time all SM3s will be shipped just after the order. 

They apologize but thought it was necessary to make this changing of shell to offer the best product for customers.

And all the SM3 now shipped with a pair of silicon tips....

@ Anthonym: Post #2 in this thread

Thanks for the detail comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #801 of 2,831

Quote:
So now they're apparently delivered to the wrong address, my home instead of work. I have them shipped to work for a reason- so I can spend several hours worth of quiet listening on the first day while I get stuff done. But that's now messed up too. I could have been forming some initial thoughts about them right now, but nope. 

Agree with you Chris. I think someone typed something to the effect that this is international shipping and from another country, that this should be expected. But that's pure b.s. I have done business internationally and have gotten better customer service than you seem to have gotten. And I've given better customer service with business I have done. You have every right to have expected more from a company selling such an expensive item - or even if it wasn't that expensive. www.dealextreme.com in China has given me better customer service on 90 cents they owed for an item cheaper than they originally paid for it, and they notified me about the discrepancy. That's good customer service. Sorry you went through this Chris, but still hope the SM3s live up to its reputation for you.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #802 of 2,831
You really can't blame Earsonics for that. As Franck has mentioned in the reply to my email, it's very expensive to ship to US. If it's really so, we should at least put ourselves in their shoes. Unless you really live there, you won't really know the whole situation. It's the customer service of the shipping company, not Earsonics that is to be blamed here.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #803 of 2,831

chris:why did you give them your home address in the first place? is it becuase of the CC?

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #804 of 2,831
Mine have just arrived as well. I like the double flange tips they come with. Get a good seal and they're comfortable. Will post impressions later. At the moment (<1hr in) I will say they are smooth and warm. Very nice bass impact

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #806 of 2,831

Quote:

If you're truly upset, send them back and be done with it, the sour taste in your mouth and all.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #807 of 2,831

Quote:

chris:why did you give them your home address in the first place? is it becuase of the CC?

Yes, it was because of the CC transaction. But, I do have them now, and am listening for a precious brief few minutes before having to take care of other things.

I will say I'm not underwhelmed straight out of the box like some owners......

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #808 of 2,831
When the earsonics arrived around noon today, I listened to them for a minute and they were very warm and the treble sounded very rolled off, kind of like a Shure E 500 only darker.  I thought, wow, this isn't good, so I hooked them up and let them play all afternoon while I was at work.  Around 6 Pm they sounded better, but still kind of dark, smooth but dark.  After listening for about an hour things started changing, the treble started coming out, there was more detail, and they didn't sound dark or muddy anymore.  Weirdest thing I have ever heard.  I can't figure out if they are actually changing due to burn in or if it some kind of psychoacoustic adaptation or a combination of both.  I thought, if it some kind of hearing adaptation perhaps my other phones should sound different too.  So I hooked up the CK 10s which are much clearer and neutral sounding then these at first sounded, and guess what, they sounded completely normal and as they usually sound. As I write this the EM3s sound almost nothing like they did out of the box.  There is plenty of treble extension, and detail, they don't really sound warm anymore, but quite neutral, in fact tonally they are sounding very similar to the CK 10s, which I consider a very good thing as I find them a very neutral and transparent phone. I am using my UM 56 custom sleeves which were made for Westones by Westone.  They fit the Earsonics perfectly.  I'll write more later as the sound develops.  Other people have posted about how the sound of these changes with time, but the extent of it is hard to believe until you hear it.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #809 of 2,831

Quote:
When the earsonics arrived around noon today, I listened to them for a minute and they were very warm and the treble sounded very rolled off, kind of like a Shure E 500 only darker.  I thought, wow, this isn't good, so I hooked them up and let them play all afternoon while I was at work.  Around 6 Pm they sounded better, but still kind of dark, smooth but dark.  After listening for about an hour things started changing, the treble started coming out, there was more detail, and they didn't sound dark or muddy anymore.  Weirdest thing I have ever heard.  I can't figure out if they are actually changing due to burn in or if it some kind of psychoacoustic adaptation or a combination of both.  I thought, if it some kind of hearing adaptation perhaps my other phones should sound different too.  So I hooked up the CK 10s which are much clearer and neutral sounding then these at first sounded, and guess what, they sounded completely normal and as they usually sound. As I write this the EM3s sound almost nothing like they did out of the box.  There is plenty of treble extension, and detail, they don't really sound warm anymore, but quite neutral, in fact tonally they are sounding very similar to the CK 10s, which I consider a very good thing as I find them a very neutral and transparent phone. I am using my UM 56 custom sleeves which were made for Westones by Westone.  They fit the Earsonics perfectly.  I'll write more later as the sound develops.  Other people have posted about how the sound of these changes with time, but the extent of it is hard to believe until you hear it.

Thanks for sharing initial impression. Weird, thought Ck10 is bright IEM, not really falling into neutral side

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #810 of 2,831
I find it quite neutral and detailed.  Not a booming bass, perhaps that is why some people think it is bright.  If you don't get a good seal with it, it can be quite bright, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back