EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
May 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #331 of 2,831

Quote:
KLS - ouch, I hope it's just snapped apart and not broken? Good luck with that.

Also, which tips do you like the best with the SM3? I'm sure I read it already somewhere, but can't find it.

They snaped apart...I think some cellotape and glue can fix it...

I have tried the stock tips, Shure yellow foamies, and the tips mod you suggested just now, and I like your tips mod.

1. I think I am spoiled by the stock tips...I am ready to sacrifice details and treble just for the dynamics, liquid smooth and very natural sound. Stock tips don't offer good clarity,  midrange is veiled, but I like how the drums hit the most with stock tips. Stock tips give me the warmest sound.
  2. Shure yellow foamies do give good clarity and treble quantity, however, the sound is like all messed up. Instrument separation and 3D presentation is bad compared to stock tips. No dynamics, or big sound. Everything seem to become thin compared to stock tips.
  3. Your tips mod: I am hoping that custom sleeves can give me the best from world (stock tips and Shure yellow foamies). It seems that your tips mod is able to give me dynamics and and treble quantity, as well as clarity, compared to the stock tips, but not suffering much from sounding thin or 'small'. This is kind of a premature conclusion, as I have only tested them for less than 5 minutes...

EDIT: @average_joe, you should try @dfkt's tips mod :)

May 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #335 of 2,831
Hello, my sm3's came today , had them in my ears for about 5 minutes 
popcorn.gif

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #336 of 2,831

Quote:
Hello, my sm3's came today , had them in my ears for about 5 minutes 
popcorn.gif

Are they less boring than the um3x you hated? Hope so.
wink.gif

May 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #337 of 2,831
nice lucozade :) I look forwards to your thoughts on them when you spend a bit more time on them

May 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #339 of 2,831
Thanks Joe for your tips comparison. I have the same SensorCom assortment as you and tried each, made a few notes and then went to your comparison/review. I agree mostly with all of your observations. The one "diamond in the rough" is the dual flange not inserted too deeply. (They could wobble a bit if you you fiddled with them but they stay put). A good trade off soundwise. The other tips, deeply inserted, although making the sound more dynamic, mucks up the width and bass definition too much for me. My second favorite (or maybe first, not sure yet) is the stock foamies they came with.

May 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #340 of 2,831
Ah, yep, you're right. I just remembered who I was thinking of. Both of you live in england, and that somehow caused me to think you two were the same person.

May 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #345 of 2,831
Does anyone here with SM3 has customs too? If so, how is it compared to the customs you guys have?

Handheldaudio sells their SM3 for 255 British Pounds (that's the price the gave me, using Airsure for shipping). The pound dollar conversion is at an all time low now...it will be only around $370 plus shipping. One gripe is that US is not listed there in the shipping address, so it will be better to email handheldaudio before purchasing. Mick has been very helpful for all my inquiries so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back