EarMen Sparrow
Mar 23, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #256 of 354
Listen when you are not plying any music... If it is total silence you are OK. Check and let us know...
It appears from the looks of the cables you have mine are different... But maybe this is because my sparrow was shipped from Europe.
I did what you said, at 2.5mm balanced output and no noise was heard at maximum volume level. I wanted to update firmware with my friend's computer, but it already had the latest firmware installed.

iemLover

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #258 of 354
But I have to say that something like a "click" sounds once in the 4th or 5th seconds of the beginning of a song. I guess it will be fixed when the new firmware is installed. I hope.

iemLover
Is this with a Samsung phone by any chance?

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #260 of 354
I did what you said, at 2.5mm balanced output and no noise was heard at maximum volume level. I wanted to update firmware with my friend's computer, but it already had the latest firmware installed.

iemLover
Do you know if I can check the firmware version when it's hooked up to an Android device or do I need to plug it into a Windows 10 computer to check. Thanks in advance

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #261 of 354
Firmware control is not performed with an Android phone, a Windows 10 computer is required.

In addition, I thought I would see the firmware version before installing the Firmware, but it doesn't work like that. However, once the Firmware update is finished, you can see the previous and next Firmware versions. Both versions were the same in mine.

iemLover

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #262 of 354
Firmware control is not performed with an Android phone, a Windows 10 computer is required.

In addition, I thought I would see the firmware version before installing the Firmware, but it doesn't work like that. However, once the Firmware update is finished, you can see the previous and next Firmware versions. Both versions were the same in mine.

iemLover
Okay thanks for giving me this information

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #263 of 354
Okay thanks for giving me this information
On their European site product page (https://earmen-eu.com/products/earmen-sparrow) right at the bottom of the page, there is the following disclaimer.

Disclaimer​

Due to the increased radiation of some phone models, as well as using the Sparrow without a GND shield cables, there may be some interference when using the device.

Our recommendation is to keep Sparrow away from your phone and use shielded GND USB C cables at least 50 cm (20") long.

To me, this defeats the purpose of the product ie needing to use a >50cm cable even if it is shielded! To me it looks that this issue of noise will stay with us because it is a design issue!!!

May 3, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #265 of 354
Has anyone who's tried the Sparrow heard the L&P W2? I'd love to see a comparison of those
I am also keenly interested in a comparo between these two. I have the Sparrow and I don't mind buying the W2. Unfortunately, it's out of stock in hifigo for a fairly long time now and though it's officially Sold Out, it's available for pre-order (!). ETA is dicey at best. I am not holding my breath.

BTW, it's all about implementation of course, but the dual CS 43198 dac chips used in the W2 are exactly the same as in my DX 160. I am not a fan of the 160's warm(ish) sound; I prefer my Lotoo PAW S1. YMMV. Also, the cost of the W2 is roughly the same for a used 160 in my country, and I am not sure if the W2 is a good value proposition at this price level.

May 3, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #266 of 354
I am also keenly interested in a comparo between these two. I have the Sparrow and I don't mind buying the W2. Unfortunately, it's out of stock in hifigo for a fairly long time now and though it's officially Sold Out, it's available for pre-order (!). ETA is dicey at best. I am not holding my breath.

BTW, it's all about implementation of course, but the dual CS 43198 dac chips used in the W2 are exactly the same as in my DX 160. I am not a fan of the 160's warm(ish) sound; I prefer my Lotoo PAW S1. YMMV. Also, the cost of the W2 is roughly the same for a used 160 in my country, and I am not sure if the W2 is a good value proposition at this price level.
You can get it here https://shop.musicteck.com/products...-dac-amp-headphone-amp?variant=39262697685054

On the L&P head-fi thread, people seem to thing the W2 sounds much better than the S1. I was thinking of getting a Sparrow, but since this thread seems to have more comments complaining about their units malfunctioning than singing their praises, I started looking elsewhere. Seems like a lot of people like the W2, but there aren't any formal reviews yet and no comparisons to the Sparrow so far.

May 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #267 of 354
You can get it here https://shop.musicteck.com/products...-dac-amp-headphone-amp?variant=39262697685054

On the L&P head-fi thread, people seem to thing the W2 sounds much better than the S1. I was thinking of getting a Sparrow, but since this thread seems to have more comments complaining about their units malfunctioning than singing their praises, I started looking elsewhere. Seems like a lot of people like the W2, but there aren't any formal reviews yet and no comparisons to the Sparrow so far.
I’d echo this, I was keen on the Sparrow until I read about some of its challenges, so have placed an order for a W2 instead, and it’s shipping its way to me now from MusicTeck.

May 10, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #268 of 354
I finally purchased the Sparrow and am very pleased with the sound. There is some static when used with an iPhone but only when first plugged in and not during playback. However, I am having an issue with the connection to the balanced output — it appears to be very sensitive to the position of the headphone plug. It doesn’t fit perfectly snugly and any lateral movement causes the left channel to cut out. I use the same balanced cable and headphones with two other DACs and have no issues with them. Is this normal or should I try to get it replaced?
Not sure if you managed to fix this? The balanced plug is slightly recessed, so to get it to work with my new headphone Jack I sadly had to file down the extruding sides around balanced. Works a treat now!

May 10, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #269 of 354
Not sure if you managed to fix this? The balanced plug is slightly recessed, so to get it to work with my new headphone Jack I sadly had to file down the extruding sides around balanced. Works a treat now!
I managed to completely break mine while trying to fix it — I am neither handy nor patient :). Mine worked fine the first day of ownership so there was more to the problem than plug/jack incompatibility.

May 11, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #270 of 354
I managed to completely break mine while trying to fix it — I am neither handy nor patient :). Mine worked fine the first day of ownership so there was more to the problem than plug/jack incompatibility.
Hope you finally got sorted anyway. Still loving mine (in balanced mode)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back