EarMen Sparrow
Mar 10, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #226 of 354
Dear Milkdudd
Well after another couple of hours of listening today and experimenting a little I have determined the following. If you set your Android phone to airplane mode you will have none of the buzzing, crackling and tick tick tick sounds. To get 100% silent it might also require turning off Wi-Fi (still experimenting with that). By the way these are the exact same sounds I get using my Mojo or Tr-amp. The same sounds about 10 times as loud that is. Maybe the added volume of the noise is because the Sparrow is powered by the phone rather than a battery. That's just a guess. In my case how often I hear the noise or the volume of it is not in any way related to how far the Sparrow is from the phone or the screen. Not saying that couldn't be relevant to somebody else's situation. With this said, listening to my Dunu Zen iems using the balanced connection in airplane mode with Wi-Fi turned off, the sound quality is magnificent. Something I could be happy with for a long time. Maybe some people can't use airplane mode because they need the phone available for incoming calls. The letters SOL come to mind in that case. I imagine a lot of people have Android devices that are no longer being used as a phone and could use it kind of like an iPod and get great sound.
Milkdudd, i bought Earman Sparrow from Israel online store, i spoke with the seller before shopping, the seller suggested an additional OTG cable and he said:

" I also suggest you take this OTG cable - it is amazing and improve the sound for sure - tested by my all audiophile friends.

OEOTG Digital Audio OTG Cable / OEAudio "

So, i ordered extra OTG cable with Earman Sparrow. The seller shipped my EMS parcel yesterday, i hope, i can get my package in next week.
I will test stock OTG cable and OEOTG cable, i will share here. (I think so, a member used OEOTG cable here)

iemlover

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #227 of 354
Here's another odd twist I've experienced. When I listen late at night, I'm talking between midnight and 4:00 a.m. the sounds are still there if I don't activate airplane mode but they're way way quieter. Pretty much inaudible once the music starts. This was two nights in a row so I don't think it's some kind of fluke. I know this sounds nuts but maybe the cell phone towers send out stronger signals when the airways are crowded during the day hours. Maybe someone who knows a lot about cell phones and how they work can chime in. Apologies if I already mentioned this but if you listen for a while on airplane mode when you turn it off you'll be bombarded with noises until the phone catches up with everything it missed during that time

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #228 of 354
Yet another update. For the first time I have listened to the Sparrow with the single ended connection. My experience so far after about a half hour of listening indicates all discussions of noises and RFI are now irrelevant. And that's listening with airplane mode off and Wi-Fi on which has been the most interference when listening balanced. For those that say the Dragonflies don't suffer from any of this RFI issue I think it's probably because it doesn't have a balanced connection. If it did have one I think it would have the same issues. No real way to find out. So I think the real apples to apples comparison is the Dragonfly red sound quality compared to the Sparrow single ended sound quality. If the Sparrow is equal or better which I have read that it is, it's a win for the Sparrow at the same price point. You also get a somewhat quirky balanced output that can perform flawlessly with amazing sound quality when the settings on the phone are set right, free of charge

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #229 of 354
Yet another update. For the first time I have listened to the Sparrow with the single ended connection. My experience so far after about a half hour of listening indicates all discussions of noises and RFI are now irrelevant. And that's listening with airplane mode off and Wi-Fi on which has been the most interference when listening balanced. For those that say the Dragonflies don't suffer from any of this RFI issue I think it's probably because it doesn't have a balanced connection. If it did have one I think it would have the same issues. No real way to find out. So I think the real apples to apples comparison is the Dragonfly red sound quality compared to the Sparrow single ended sound quality. If the Sparrow is equal or better which I have read that it is, it's a win for the Sparrow at the same price point. You also get a somewhat quirky balanced output that can perform flawlessly with amazing sound quality when the settings on the phone are set right, free of charge
... What settings on the phone that must be set "right", are you referring to?

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #230 of 354
... What settings on the phone that must be set "right", are you referring to?

maxresdefault.jpg

:o2smile::ksc75smile::k701smile:

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #231 of 354
Just did a quick A-B comparing single ended to balanced. Night and day. I've been using the word magnificent to describe the balanced output sound quality. Now I think a better word is mind-blowing at the $199 price of admission. Of course the Dunu Zen IEM gets a lot of the credit. I highly recommend them to everyone

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #235 of 354
Earman shared a New video on YouTube :

"EarMen's Sparrow & Android (TIDAL MQA) connection" video...

iemlover

Greetings. I know with a little bit of work I could find out the answer to this question, but if someone could help me it would save me a lot of trouble. Currently I listen to Amazon HD when I'm at home through Wi-Fi which has enough bandwidth for Hi-Rez listening but when I'm away from Wi-Fi it can't flow enough data, so when I'm outside of the house I listen to ripped CDs converted to flac using UAPP. Don't feel any need for Tidal unless it can flow Hi-Rez over my cell phone connection with the use of MQA. Can it do that? Thanks in advance

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #236 of 354
Greetings. I know with a little bit of work I could find out the answer to this question, but if someone could help me it would save me a lot of trouble. Currently I listen to Amazon HD when I'm at home through Wi-Fi which has enough bandwidth for Hi-Rez listening but when I'm away from Wi-Fi it can't flow enough data, so when I'm outside of the house I listen to ripped CDs converted to flac using UAPP. Don't feel any need for Tidal unless it can flow Hi-Rez over my cell phone connection with the use of MQA. Can it do that? Thanks in advance
I suppose it depends on the speed of your cellular connection, 4G, 5G etc and whether you have an unlimited data plan. I stream Qobuz and Amazon HD and Tidal all on my S10+ with no difficulty in urban areas with good cell coverage and only rarely do I lose signal where I can't stream high rez files. Hope that answers your question. All through UAPP btw at the highest resolution available.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #237 of 354
I suppose it depends on the speed of your cellular connection, 4G, 5G etc and whether you have an unlimited data plan. I stream Qobuz and Amazon HD and Tidal all on my S10+ with no difficulty in urban areas with good cell coverage and only rarely do I lose signal where I can't stream high rez files. Hope that answers your question. All through UAPP btw at the highest resolution available.
Yes I decided to give it another try with Amazon HD. Turned off Wi-Fi and now everything including high rez is coming in fine with just the cell connection. Last time I tried that it just kept spinning that little blue circle like it was unable to load each track. Proves it's a good idea to try something more than once. Thanks for your help

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #240 of 354
Friends

I got my Sparrow today, i have also Tidal Premium and UAPP APK.
I tried the Sparrow, works without noise BUT it's light never turn to magenta, There is only green light.

Should I purchase an MQA certificate from within the UAPP application?

Thanks
iemLover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back