Earbud buyer's guide, feat. TM5, OK1, PK1, ATH-CM700, OK2, K319, OK3, PK3, PK2
Oct 14, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 226
Wow. This is some fantastic info and makes me consider trying earbuds again. I've had bad experiences trying to get a decent fit with earbuds - but that was years ago.

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #18 of 226
i love reviews that don't use expensive amps... =D

you have provided many useful points and information for this community, thanks!

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #19 of 226
Thanks for a very thorough comparison kostalex.

I'm curious what you mean when you say the PK1 distorts lows during a sine sweep? What kind of distortion did you notice?

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 226
The tones below 100 Hz are not clear. You may notice some rustling along with the main tone. It is not easy to notice though.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #21 of 226
I think you may have some debris or hair in there or maybe a faulty unit. I've done a sweep on two pairs of PK1 and the only time there has been any distortion is when there's been a hair lodged inside. Otherwise there is no audible distortion of any kind. I also compared against some full size headphones and the PK1 definitely does not have any noticable low frequency distortion.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 226
I also tried two pairs of PK1 two, both were rustling, while OK1 and ER-4S do not distort with the same tracks. I assume that the distortions are caused by two reasons:
  1. PK1 driver diaphragm movement is somewhat restricted, probably by the earbud shell. When it gets close to the bounds, it distorts.
  2. PK1 has deep bass bump, like those of DT770, so driver runs wider with lower frequencies.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #23 of 226
RE: debris or hair. One of these PK1s were recabled before test. I am sure that if it had some debris inside then the man who recabled it also cleaned it. He is very careful.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also tried two pairs of PK1 two, both were rustling, while OK1 and ER-4S do not distort with the same tracks. I assume that the distortions are caused by two reasons:
  1. PK1 driver diaphragm movement is somewhat restricted, probably by the earbud shell. When it gets close to the bounds, it distorts.
  2. PK1 has deep bass bump, like those of DT770, so driver runs wider with lower frequencies.
$$

How high a volume were you testing at? If diaphragm excursion is an issue, I suggest you might have damaged the diaphragm by making it collide with the front of the shell. That could be the cause of the distortion you hear. I just tested again at high (but reasonable) volume and there is no audible distortion.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #25 of 226
RE: Volume. It was no more than 100% at iPod Classic scale and no more than 2-3pm (high gain) at Pico volume pot. Typically it was less, otherwrise it is too harmful for ears. All my library is normalized to 89 dB by MP3gain or Foobar reply gain.

I will recable my PK1 soon and I post here a report. So if its diaphragm has any visibile damages, I'll let you know.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #26 of 226
Added some good words on PK2:

EDIT: Some kind words from my previous review are also true if you are not so picky as I am now
smily_headphones1.gif
. Mix the description above with these to get the whole picture: "Sound is balanced, fun and energetic. Details are ok, mids are forward and smooth. Bass is not deep, but punchy. Highs are fine, no hisses. It seems that very high frequencies are recessed. Probably this is the reason for sound imaging to be so-so."

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #29 of 226
They look like rebranded and recabled Yuins. I doubt that they are independent models with proprietary drivers. Anyway, it is interesting to try them. Though it is not interesting enough to pay for them.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #30 of 226
Hey! Thanks a lot for your fantastic reviews Kostalex! Thay are the most informative ones i have read on head-fi.
Thanks also go to Jordan for his review of the ok1.
I have bought an ok1 now to +some foamies from ebay and I hope to have them soon. I will then be able to try them with my home amp, and with my lisa once my portable rig is reassembled.
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back