"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Sep 12, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,277 of 1,906
  My review of the NiceHCK 8 + 1 (8ba with a dynamic) will be up in a few days. It's a more neutral iem than the ear kegs and bests it in most ways
as an overall package.

Wow you bit the bullet!

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #1,279 of 1,906
How is the bass in these compared to the flc8s, se846, Lz a3s?

How does sub bass compare to these 3?
How does impact compare?

I just got the Lz a3s. They go low but it's a little too soft, not enough impact. I want impact and depth.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #1,282 of 1,906
And they are also driven easily by the X5ii. My normal volume is 22.

Got these this past weekend, and prefer them to the 2000j. Better separation and I like the more pronounced highs and bass.

I'm also curious about a replacement cable, as the stock cable has a lot of memory. My ideal cable would have no wire over the ear...

Steve

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #1,283 of 1,906
And they are also driven easily by the X5ii. My normal volume is 22.

Got these this past weekend, and prefer them to the 2000j. Better separation and I like the more pronounced highs and bass.

I'm also curious about a replacement cable, as the stock cable has a lot of memory. My ideal cable would have no wire over the ear...

Steve

Yes, I'd love cable recommendations. What I like about the included MMCX cable is that it's not very microphonic. What I dislike is that it's rather lightweight and feels a little flimsy, and the memory wire doesn't work all that well. I actually wouldn't mind a more robust memory wire section that helped to keep the kegs in place when worn with the wire over the ears.

As for the sound signature, the jury's still out for me but I'll reserve judgment until they're more broken in. Got about 72 hours on them at this point. I find the bass very impressive; probably north of "neutral" but real grunt and impact when music calls for it yet getting out of the way when that's not the case. The highs can be a little hot for my tastes on some material, but I'm very treble sensitive, and things do seem to be smoothing out with break in and tip rolling. More to come... 

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,286 of 1,906
My review of the NiceHCK 1 + 8 is up

Here's a link to the thread which has the link to the review

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820220/gleam-audio-nicehck-dz9-1-8-discussion-thread

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,287 of 1,906
Hi Sir Skullophile Sir! I would like to ask as I'm planning to get this awesome SW3?
Would this be any better comparing to Heir Audio 4.Ai by the Wizard himself while he was in Heir that time?
I just want to know? As this Price is not Cheap.. Really appreciate your reply Sir! Thanks..

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,288 of 1,906
Well this looks interesting. I might order a pair with the MMCX cables before I go on my end year Japan trip(unless the Celeste is announced). Not too keen on bringing my FLC8S around with those easy to lose filters.
My only fear now, is that this will sound so good that I'll still use it even after the trip.
To those who have both, how does the SWIII stack up to the FLC8S(using grey>grey>green combo)?

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,289 of 1,906
  Well this looks interesting. I might order a pair with the MMCX cables before I go on my end year Japan trip(unless the Celeste is announced). Not too keen on bringing my FLC8S around with those easy to lose filters.
My only fear now, is that this will sound so good that I'll still use it even after the trip.
To those who have both, how does the SWIII stack up to the FLC8S(using grey>grey>green combo)?

IMO They are very different sounds - I had the FLC8 but had to let them go because the bass just didn't have the quality
or punch for me
(not sure about the combo as that one never worked for me - I was more of a g=red/grey/gold)  
The SW III's have an extraordinary 3D immersive sound at times and has a lovely warm low end punch
They are quite a fun sound but not in such a way that an audiophile might find objectionable... which is quite an achievment!
The FLC8 are sublime,maybe the best I ever heard,for female vocal
where as the SW III have a 3D immersive and spacial treatment of instruments that is simply magical. I don't know how they have
done it but they created something quite unique and special 
I could go on ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back