"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Sep 18, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,292 of 1,906

IMO They are very different sounds - I had the FLC8 but had to let them go because the bass just didn't have the quality
or punch for me
(not sure about the combo as that one never worked for me - I was more of a g=red/grey/gold)  
The SW III's have an extraordinary 3D immersive sound at times and has a lovely warm low end punch
They are quite a fun sound but not in such a way that an audiophile might find objectionable... which is quite an achievment!
The FLC8 are sublime,maybe the best I ever heard,for female vocal
where as the SW III have a 3D immersive and spacial treatment of instruments that is simply magical. I don't know how they have
done it but they created something quite unique and special 
I could go on ...

Oh sweet.
I like myself a huge soundstage, so the SWIII looks like it'll be right up my alley.
Just kinda wish I could audition it before I buy it. My last blind purchase didn't end so well haha.
Guess I'll wait a little bit longer before I jump in.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,293 of 1,906

IMO They are very different sounds - I had the FLC8 but had to let them go because the bass just didn't have the quality
or punch for me
(not sure about the combo as that one never worked for me - I was more of a g=red/grey/gold)  
The SW III's have an extraordinary 3D immersive sound at times and has a lovely warm low end punch
They are quite a fun sound but not in such a way that an audiophile might find objectionable... which is quite an achievment!
The FLC8 are sublime,maybe the best I ever heard,for female vocal
where as the SW III have a 3D immersive and spacial treatment of instruments that is simply magical. I don't know how they have
done it but they created something quite unique and special 
I could go on ...

Oh sweet.
I like myself a huge soundstage, so the SWIII looks like it'll be right up my alley.
Just kinda wish I could audition it before I buy it. My last blind purchase didn't end so well haha.
Guess I'll wait a little bit longer before I jump in.

Just listening earlier today reminded me very much of listening to a concert in a church - The music has a real surround sound 3D that you hear all at once and yet different notes and frequencies come in and out at different locations - Sounds like you are inside the music rather than how many iems tend to put the music in front or just either side. The seperation of instrument is quite something as well, sometimes very wide but not in a way that disconnects the music. With many headphones that have a wide or large seperation this seemsto break up the music for me in an un-natural way. As Ive said there is something quite unexplicably magical and unique about how these iems handle sound  :)

In terms of audiophile listening they very much reflect the quality of the production/mastering. This is Very rarely a problem though with the exception of a tad too much sub bass when the music production has been poorly implimented... but i wouldn't be listening to that anyway!
Just for reference,im using a DX80 DAP 

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,294 of 1,906

Just listening earlier today reminded me very much of listening to a concert in a church - The music has a real surround sound 3D that you hear all at once and yet different notes and frequencies come in and out at different locations - Sounds like you are inside the music rather than how many iems tend to put the music in front or just either side. The seperation of instrument is quite something as well, sometimes very wide but not in a way that disconnects the music. With many headphones that have a wide or large seperation this seemsto break up the music for me in an un-natural way. As Ive said there is something quite unexplicably magical and unique about how these iems handle sound  :)

In terms of audiophile listening they very much reflect the quality of the production/mastering. This is Very rarely a problem though with the exception of a tad too much sub bass when the music production has been poorly implimented... but i wouldn't be listening to that anyway!
Just for reference,im using a DX80 DAP 

cool.gif
I very much agree Jon. At this price point I feel it would be foolish to invest $$$ in a TOTL Earphone due to the law of Diminishing returns. In fact, the very point that "Audiophile Grade" sound is SO Balanced, Flat, and unnaturally coherent isn't really a Plus to me as we DON'T actually hear sounds that way anyways!! Refraction and Reflection play hell on Soundwave perception in a short distance and in short order. I like a bit of V or U shape to my sound, Especially for Trance and EDM Stuff.

My only wish is that the Treble was rounded off a Tad more on the SW3 like it is in it's TK siblings. BUT STILL, I REFUSE TO EQ.

BTW: I wish you could hear them through My Shanling M5 / Aune B1 combo.  Amazing.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #1,295 of 1,906
Hi Guys! Quite intrigued with the Keggers after reading the great feedback that all of you have been giving. I'm a budding audiophile. Currently have An IE80 which was upgraded from an ATH-IM50 (and Senn CXII before that). Looking at my history, I like my IEMs to have a good bass kick. Prefer to get great soundstage and imaging too. Will the Shockwave 3 fit my profile? I don't mind lowering my bass standards as long as the mids and the highs will be more defined and forward sounding than what I usually get with the IE80 at the moment. 

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!

Removed O/T link

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #1,296 of 1,906
I can wholeheartedly agree with the above statements.

I love the sub bass and I love the treble, but the soundstage and instrument separation is what's so special about it. I've never been so engaged in and had this amount of enjoyment in listening to music from an earphone in this price bracket.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,297 of 1,906
  Hi Guys! Quite intrigued with the Keggers after reading the great feedback that all of you have been giving. I'm a budding audiophile. Currently have An IE80 which was upgraded from an ATH-IM50 (and Senn CXII before that). Looking at my history, I like my IEMs to have a good bass kick. Prefer to get great soundstage and imaging too. Will the Shockwave 3 fit my profile? I don't mind lowering my bass standards as long as the mids and the highs will be more defined and forward sounding than what I usually get with the IE80 at the moment. 

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!

Removed O/T link

Lecks I owned the IE8, (IE80 predecessor),  Trust me The Keggers are a next level phone. The Subbass will slay the IE80, hands down. The soundstage although very large on the IE80 can't touch the SW3. It's simply outstanding.

DON'T sell your IE80's though as they are a VERY good phone as well.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,298 of 1,906
Thanks Twin! Appreciate the input. Would you know if the Keggers can be powered by a phone with a HiFI DAC? I'm planning to use an Axon 7 on this. It has an AK4490 32-Bit 2ch DAC. Will this be enough? If not, what's the best entry level player/equipment you can recommend?

BTW, I inquired about this with Eazy and he said that the Keggers are not actually a bass-oriented IEM. He recommended the Super audio 7 instead. Thoughts?

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,299 of 1,906
Haha all of this glowing reviews for the SWIII is making my trigger finger itchy.
I guess I'll give my FLC8S some more love before I pull the trigger(it's only been with me for 1 month).
On that note, how does the AAW A2H Pro Dual Driver Hybrid CIEM compare to the SWIII? My original plan was getting a pair as a for-fun kinda CIEM with custom faceplates. With the custom faceplates however, the A2H is slightly less than twice the price of the SWIII. That means if I get the SWIII chances are very low that I will get the A2H and vice versa. So I'll need some input regarding the two before I take the plunge.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,300 of 1,906
Seems really good for the price. I wonder how they can compare to the "
New ETERNAL Super12 In Ear Earphone 12BA Drive Unit DIY HIFI Monitoring Earphone With 2Pin Interface" though? Found that one on Aliexpress recently.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,301 of 1,906
Thanks Twin! Appreciate the input. Would you know if the Keggers can be powered by a phone with a HiFI DAC? I'm planning to use an Axon 7 on this. It has an AK4490 32-Bit 2ch DAC. Will this be enough? If not, what's the best entry level player/equipment you can recommend?

BTW, I inquired about this with Eazy and he said that the Keggers are not actually a bass-oriented IEM. He recommended the Super audio 7 instead. Thoughts?

They have a ton of massive bass but it just doesn't over shadow the other freqs so it's not bass oriented

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,302 of 1,906

Still breaking in my SW III's (160 hours and counting) but @Lecks12 I can assure you that they are in no way bass deficient. Lorde's "Pure Heroine" has buckets of deep synth bass and the SW III handles it beautifully, for example.  

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,304 of 1,906
  Have any of you with the MMCX version of the SW III upgraded the cable and if so, what's made a positive difference for you?
Thanks.

I just tried the MEE replacement cables, available on Amazon, without the mic.  While I loved the feel of them (no wire, very limp and easily contoured), they muddy up the sound noticeably.  No point using a cable that handicaps your earphones...

Steve

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #1,305 of 1,906
I just tried the MEE replacement cables, available on Amazon, without the mic.  While I loved the feel of them (no wire, very limp and easily contoured), they muddy up the sound noticeably.  No point using a cable that handicaps your earphones...

Steve

Thank you very much for those impressions. There is a cable that Jim from HCK recommends – I don't have the link in front of me, but they're not cheap – they cost around $60. Once I have the phones completely broken in and I make my decision about whether I am going to keep them, I might spring for an upgrade cable – We'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back