"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jun 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #886 of 1,906
  Hello again folks. I just got my store credit from Jim and it's time to choose some new IEMs (you know, to keep up with my one set a week policy). I really want to try out the SW3, but the treble scares me a bit. Is there any chance someone could compare them to, say, the DN-2000J? Those are my IEMs with the most treble and I find it okay. I can't crank them up for extended listening comfortably, but at normal volumes I find the treble and overall resolution to be stellar. Sounds like the SW3 might be in that same league, but with stronger sub bass? What else have you guys compared these to?

I think we all know how I felt about the QT5 that these would be replacing :)

-Collin-

Did you return your QT5's to Jim?  

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #889 of 1,906
Vanity question, any concensus which color looks the best? Like the black but gold's trendy nowadays. Everything looks good in the pics. Does the gold look dull IRL?

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #891 of 1,906
  Vanity question, any concensus which color looks the best? Like the black but gold's trendy nowadays. Everything looks good in the pics. Does the gold look dull IRL?

I'd have gone for silver, as a I saw a pair of black ones in the photo thumbs up right that looked like its ano. finish came off easily.

I wonder if the simplicity of sponge in the bore holes takes that treble down a few notches without losing any micro-detail/instrument separation.

If you find them too bright up top, let me know if you try sponge on them in the tip holes, and it if takes it to a signature you can listen to a long time...

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #892 of 1,906
I went with black, but kind of regretting my decision and think I should have stuck with silver. Oh well, first world problems lol

-Collin-

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #894 of 1,906
Ear kegs are best in silver colour to make them look even more like a real beer keg!

beerchug.gif
And they sound like Heineken, or maybe St. Pauli Girl.....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #896 of 1,906
Okay, so now that I've had them for 12 days, I'm ready to give my impressions of the kegs.

Out of the box : The treble was extremely sharp. I instantly switched to foam tips to see if they helped, but I had to them down after 2 songs... It made my ears pain and I regretted my purchase decision.

Decided to burn them in and see if it changed anything. Paired them up with my retired HTC One (M7) and run them at about 80% volume for 4 days straight.

Now I know that the whole burn-in theory has been discredited a billion times, but the sound was instantly, very noticeably different. It no longer hurt my ears and the soundstage is glorious!! The treble is still sparkly but it's very enjoyable and no longer painful. The sound is pretty flat otherwise, with a minor recession in lower-mids. This was easily fixed by a small EQ adjustment.

It's hard to drive on my current phone (Xiaomi Mi5), but works flawlessly on my old HTC One, Desktop's on-board sound (MSI Z97 using ALC1150) and through E10K on my laptop.

I think that the "bass-heavy" or "V-shaped" impression that people have mentioned is in-fact due to the midly recessed mids in an otherwise balanced set of earphones. With my mild EQ-ing, the sound is perfect and flat. Tight bass, sparkly (but not overimposing) treble and no-compromise mids. However, the biggest highlight to me is the sound-stage which sounds absolutely mega, coming from a Vsonic GR07. Day and night difference.

Comfort-wise, the foamies I got from the-one-who-must-not-be-named are kind of meh, I don't get a perfect seal either (keeps trying to slip out)... I intend to buy some comply foam tips and then these earphones would be nearly perfect.

Editing to add an afterthought : As someone who heavily relies on numbers, stats and science, I find it hard to believe that the sound could change so drastically after burn-in. Is it possible I managed to damage one of the BAs, which were handling the ultra-highs, resulting into me getting rid of the painful treble?

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #897 of 1,906
Will the shockwave 3s be ok to run off an iPhone 6 Plus?

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #898 of 1,906
  Okay, so now that I've had them for 12 days, I'm ready to give my impressions of the kegs.

Out of the box : The treble was extremely sharp. I instantly switched to foam tips to see if they helped, but I had to them down after 2 songs... It made my ears pain and I regretted my purchase decision.

Decided to burn them in and see if it changed anything. Paired them up with my retired HTC One (M7) and run them at about 80% volume for 4 days straight.

Now I know that the whole burn-in theory has been discredited a billion times, but the sound was instantly, very noticeably different. It no longer hurt my ears and the soundstage is glorious!! The treble is still sparkly but it's very enjoyable and no longer painful. The sound is pretty flat otherwise, with a minor recession in lower-mids. This was easily fixed by a small EQ adjustment.

It's hard to drive on my current phone (Xiaomi Mi5), but works flawlessly on my old HTC One, Desktop's on-board sound (MSI Z97 using ALC1150) and through E10K on my laptop.

I think that the "bass-heavy" or "V-shaped" impression that people have mentioned is in-fact due to the midly recessed mids in an otherwise balanced set of earphones. With my mild EQ-ing, the sound is perfect and flat. Tight bass, sparkly (but not overimposing) treble and no-compromise mids. However, the biggest highlight to me is the sound-stage which sounds absolutely mega, coming from a Vsonic GR07. Day and night difference.

Comfort-wise, the foamies I got from the-one-who-must-not-be-named are kind of meh, I don't get a perfect seal either (keeps trying to slip out)... I intend to buy some comply foam tips and then these earphones would be nearly perfect.

Editing to add an afterthought : As someone who heavily relies on numbers, stats and science, I find it hard to believe that the sound could change so drastically after burn-in. Is it possible I managed to damage one of the BAs, which were handling the ultra-highs, resulting into me getting rid of the painful treble?

Try EQ-ing down the way on bottom and top-end of your EQ vs EQ-ing up the middle = Less chance of distortion.
Parametric EQ always better than plain EQ. The 'why' of that is out on google.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #899 of 1,906

Try EQ-ing down the way on bottom and top-end of your EQ vs EQ-ing up the middle = Less chance of distortion.
Parametric EQ always better than plain EQ. The 'why' of that is out on google.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it just now... similar impact on the sound signature as my previous attempt. Can't really tell the difference, to be honest. But can't go wrong with the objectively correct approach anyways, so I guess I'll keep the new EQ-down settings for the long term. Cheers!

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #900 of 1,906
Regardless if you believe in burn in or not, break them in :grinning: To 350 hours. Trust TWIN on this one.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back