"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jun 30, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #902 of 1,906
If non stop burning stage is taken 15 days.
Ins't DAP battery still last

Can always plug in. My burning-in station is a plugged-in cellphone that I don't use anymore.

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #904 of 1,906
If you guys search soundcloud there is are free burn-in loops that will speed up the process.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #908 of 1,906
Give the Ear Kegs a try on high gain like Paulus suggested! It increases the soundstage! Either that or I've been eating too many wild mushrooms.

very_evil_smiley.gif
They get BETTER with Mushrooms.....

I run all my phones at High Gain off the Fiio E12 amp. You have to be careful with micro driver stuff though, or you will get clipping. The tiny drivers can't handle the power.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #909 of 1,906
Just received my order today of the SWIII and hlsx808 with mic from the store that can no longer be mentioned.

Delivery took 18 days to England which was well packaged and in perfect condition. Communication was excellent and overall very happy with the seller and will deal with again in the future.

First impressions (stock tips used)

The hlsx808 actually branded as magaosi mgs-m1 have really impressed me and at present are out performing the SWIII from new. The just seem to have a full range soundstage and have no harsh upper mid or treble the bass is also nicely presented and compliments the mids and treble nicely. An excellent fit and feel and are just as premium as the SWIII which is nearly six times the cost. They do have a mic and control which at present is causing a slight audible multiple popping noise everytime you skip a track on my chinese android phone. I have tried a different phone (moto g)and this does not exhibit the same issue but also the controls do not work with it. With that in mind I would not recommend the with mic option. They are also significantly louder which must mean they are easier to drive from my mobile phone compared to the SWIII

The SWIII (pre burn in) are a bit of a disappointment if I am honest. The upper mids are way too harsh and the treble is just not bright enough to my ears. The bass although deep seems recessed and almost seperate to the rest of the soundstage. The extremely wide soundstage appears to be picking up the surround mix of the tracks and bringing that to the front of the mix. For example, backing harmony vocals are right at the front rather than sitting behind the lead vocalist.
Mary J Blige tracks highlight this effect.

I will of course allow burn in time to give a final judgement but at present I would have been happy with just the hlsx808.

Any recommendations to perhaps improve my experience with the SWIII?

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #910 of 1,906
The Chinese phone you are using probably doesn't have enough boot to drive them properly and maybe you're getting a bad seal with the tips. Try a better source / dap and a headphone amp and tip roll your way to Ear Keg success. Also burn in after you're sure your set isn't faulty at all.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #912 of 1,906
Oh yeah and I'd stay away from those stock tips that the Kegs came with. Throw them the fruck away. My favourite tips with them are spinfit cp100 and others like auvio and jvc spiral dot. Best to have a good source with a good DAC > Headphone Amp (if your source isn't powerful enough) > Ear Kegs > good tips. Follow that recipe and don't look back!

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #913 of 1,906
Oh yeah and I'd stay away from those stock tips that the Kegs came with. Throw them the fruck away. My favourite tips with them are spinfit cp100 and others like auvio and jvc spiral dot. Best to have a good source with a good DAC > Headphone Amp (if your source isn't powerful enough) > Ear Kegs > good tips. Follow that recipe and don't look back!

Actually you cannot say that because everyone has different ear shape.

Personally, large stock tips worked the best for me.

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #914 of 1,906
The tips provided aren't very good auvio tips or the sony mh1c tips are way better. And agree with my android phone and with the ibasso d zero mk2 used as dac the sound is much better than straight out the ibasso dx 50. Really like the shockwave III best phones I've heard so far.

About burning I'd say the first hours the sound changes drastically but after that didn't notice any changes. I will swap the cable for a 6 occ copper someday probably the shockwave sounds better with a copper cable than with the silver provided.

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #915 of 1,906

Disagree. Stock silicones are ok. Tried numbers of tips i own and stick with the stocks. Waiting for my JVC spiral dots though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back