E2c mod... 56K warning
Apr 13, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #61 of 120
Yeah, the paper clip thing seems to be hit-or-miss; some are prob. glued in more than others.

Heck, i even heard of one guy who got his bent paper clip stuck inside the E2c!

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #63 of 120
I had the same problem with the paper clip, must be the glue on newer ones I guess, but since the washer was all chipped up from the clip, I just took a small pocket knife blade and scraped the rest of the washer out.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #64 of 120
Scissored my E2Gs for this mod. Worked beautifully. Took 8 seconds. But I do have good scissors. The kind that are designed for right OR lefties. :p Thank you kramer for figuring this one out in the first place; my roommate's been blasting his bassy (c)rap lately, and I've been going batty having to wear my E2Gs indoors. Now I don't mind so much.

May 8, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #65 of 120
Hey man, thanks for this mod, real nice. I sort of did a half ass version of what posters here seem to have done. I decided not to remove the 'washer' completely, but instead just increased the size of the hole (in the waxguard) to about twice what it was using the tip of a fine razor blade, running the blade along the inside of the hole in a circular motion and making sure to wipe the blade each time so as to keep the plastic shards out of the headphone canal. Took about 10 minutes, most of it spend tapping the headphone in an attempt to get all the bits of plastic out.

Verdict? Very nice indeed. Didn't notice any difference in bass, but the higher end is much better. I don't think I'd have liked the sound had I removed the whole waxguard, I like a warm sound, but the underwater-highs had to go. I've bid them farewell and good riddance for good.

Other nice thing is that I highly doubt the modification would be noticed by the warranty police.

Thanks Kramer
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #66 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
The Shure engineers (or insert manufacture name here) must crack up when they read what we do to their products to tweak a few sound enhancements.

We definitely don't crack up - at least those of us at Shure don't. I personally am always very interested to see what people are doing for a few reasons:

First, by following the mods posted here I can usually tell what people are shooting for as far as a target sound, and sometimes I am able to translate that into a requirement (or goal) for future products.

Second, It helps me to think further outside of the box because we get perspective from people who don't have the same bias - people who aren't working from an established paradigm.

Third, for non-Shure stuff (headphones and amps) I'm able to tweak my personal rigs more to my liking.

So it is definitely amusing, but I take it very seriously. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. So keep those mods coming!

May 9, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #67 of 120
I'm presently "renting" my E2Cs from Circuit City, trying to decide if they're worth keeping within my 30 days return period. While I love the isolation they provide, and have more or less gotten use to the process of putting them in and insuring I have a good seal, the sound quality has been something of a letdown. My complaints mirror those of many E2C owners, and I'm wondering if I should give this mod a shot, or return my pair for a set of Sennheiser CX300s or another pair of IEMs with more bass for a little less money. Should I mod my existing pair or make the switch? Thanks.

May 9, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #68 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtropy
I'm presently "renting" my E2Cs from Circuit City... ...I'm wondering if I should give this mod a shot, or return my pair for a set of Sennheiser CX300s or another pair of IEMs with more bass for a little less money. Should I mod my existing pair or make the switch? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat and am wondering the same thing...

May 9, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #69 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnaBonger
I'm in the same boat and am wondering the same thing...

I'm still leaning towards a return. The sound from the E2Cs has been a real letdown, considering the cost, and especially since getting my K81DJs, which just crap all over them in audio quality.

May 10, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #70 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
Other nice thing is that I highly doubt the modification would be noticed by the warranty police.

haha, maybe I spoke too soon, or too much. Didn't know that Shure's people were lurking in the Head-fi jungle
wink.gif

May 10, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #71 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
haha, maybe I spoke too soon, or too much. Didn't know that Shure's people were lurking in the Head-fi jungle
wink.gif

Well, maybe this gives us a chance to get that question answered!

Sugarfried, could you weigh in on this? Do you think that this mod will void the warranty?

I'd love to try this mod, but I don't want to throw away the warranty.

Aug 5, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #73 of 120
Hey, just did this mod with a PUSH PIN. First I tried using the paper clip. I tried it for 5 minutes and succeeded only in scratching away part of the washer. Then I tried using the push pin and I took both washers out in about 10 seconds.

Just put the tip in the hole of the washer and gently pry. Really easy.

Thanks guys for the ideas... I do hear a difference... sounds great.

Bad news for my e4's that I liked less than my e2c's before the mod...

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #74 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by eladioc
Hey, just did this mod with a PUSH PIN. First I tried using the paper clip. I tried it for 5 minutes and succeeded only in scratching away part of the washer. Then I tried using the push pin and I took both washers out in about 10 seconds.

Just put the tip in the hole of the washer and gently pry. Really easy.

Thanks guys for the ideas... I do hear a difference... sounds great.

Bad news for my e4's that I liked less than my e2c's before the mod...

Let me second this. I just bought some e2gs (the black ones). Like the isolation, like the bass, didn't want to spend a lot of money... but MAN those highs are veiled...playing around with eq but not satisfied... hmmm, read the thread, get a push pin. Easy! I had both washers out in under a minute.

Wow, that makes a difference!!!!! Apparently, drumsets these days come with things called "cymbals", and they make a lovely shimmering sound when struck. Who knew?
wink.gif

This mod is HIGHLY recommended!

If you wanted to reverse this, keep the washers in a little baggie... you could probably pop them right back in.

I imagine all my ear funk is going to get inside the earphone now... oh well, so what if they die earlier, they'll sound better in the meantime.
smily_headphones1.gif

D-slam

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #75 of 120
Couldn’t find a paper clip, but there was a corkscrew in my pocketknife, stuck the end in, kind levered it, literally popped out in half a second each.

Great mod, my first (and probably easiest ever).

Death cab makes me smile wider now, can't say I notice anything different, I was never good on explaining how something sounds; I just know this makes the music more enjoyable, which is what everyone here is going for, no?

*considers an amp to bump the bass a little*

EDIT: Grammar check
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back