E2c mod... 56K warning
Jan 17, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #91 of 120
Has anyone tried making their own E2C foamies, as talked about in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171940

I can't find a source for the tubing that fits E2C. I've tried the home depot 1/4" tubing, but because E2C has those really fat outlet, it won't fit. The next largest size is too big.

Any advice appreciated. For now I am reusing the tube from one of those silicon "foamies" that I hate so much, and butchered, but at some point i'll need a new source.

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #92 of 120
Has anyone tried a port mod on a E2C? What I mean is to drill a small hole in the back of the housing to make them a pseudo open phone. If so can you post some pix and details...what size bit etc...I tried first to take out the wax gaurds and didn't like the sound at all so I wasn't about to hack off any of the tube. I feel if the chamber was ported it may give a more accurate midrange and tighten up the bass.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #93 of 120
Did this mod in about 20 seconds using the smallest screwdriver from my swiss army knife. It does make the highs stick out more, but I still don't like the overall sound signature. Still, for $60, they are a pretty good deal for isolation, and the mod does help somewhat.

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #94 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMU817 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn’t find a paper clip, but there was a corkscrew in my pocketknife, stuck the end in, kind levered it, literally popped out in half a second each.

Great mod, my first (and probably easiest ever).

Death cab makes me smile wider now, can't say I notice anything different, I was never good on explaining how something sounds; I just know this makes the music more enjoyable, which is what everyone here is going for, no?

*considers an amp to bump the bass a little*

EDIT: Grammar check
wink.gif

Yeah thanks! pocketknife corkscrew for the win :p

First i used a paperclip, couldnt get it out, and messed up the tube a bit. Then i read your post, with the corkscrew, 'yay' i have pocket knife on my desk and tried it immediately, both 'washers' poped out in seconds, the second earbud without any scratches.

I like this easy mod, it improves the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #95 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried a port mod on a E2C? What I mean is to drill a small hole in the back of the housing to make them a pseudo open phone. If so can you post some pix and details...what size bit etc...I tried first to take out the wax gaurds and didn't like the sound at all so I wasn't about to hack off any of the tube. I feel if the chamber was ported it may give a more accurate midrange and tighten up the bass.

The rear chamber is sealed off. I removed half of the rear plastic housing and didn't notice any difference...pics...
dscn65658hj.jpg

dscn65566eb.jpg

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #97 of 120
Was surprised that I needed to apply a decent bit of pressure to get the washers to pop out. But thanks - opens up the sound quite a bit. More detail, slightly wider soundstage. I do like these E2 for travel - as I am on planes and in and out of hotels a few days each week, the E2 provides plenty of isolation. More importantly, they are built very well and seem to take a fair amount of abuse, and if I leave them in a seatback pocket or something, buying another pair does not break the bank...

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #98 of 120
when i had my kramer mod e2's i was very impressed with the sound. The mod really does take that tunnel sound and open it up. I used a Go vibe with mine for the time ive had it and it was wonderful. Kramer is truly a smart person when it comes to these type mods. I have tried the kramer mod on my old KSC75s and the E2s. Hats off for taking the time and effort for posting such great findings.

just FYI, but i noticed that my e4s came with 2 different size noozles. This is great, gives you something else to try =)

I found that the best setup for my e2 were the med black silicon sleeves and my go vibe with a AD823AN opamp. I tried my AD8620 but found it to be too much power and not enough punch in the lower end. The AD823AN is less power, but it focuses on bass and mid range. This gives a nice bass sound to the e2's.

I didnt like the sound unamp'ed really. It just sounded alittle congested. Like it had a cold or something...even though they such low impendance IEMs, they really do like the sound of POWER!!

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #99 of 120
After seeing the difference kramer's mod made on my ksc75's, i went ahead and did this too. Used a paperclip to remove the rings. They came out cleanly except one of my tubes got a small crack in it from not pulling the washer out straight. Either way, this mod made a huge difference.

The difference imo is much greater than that of the ksc75 mod. Treble has increased a significant amount. After listening to the e2c's for a long time, I started to not notice the rolled off treble. After this though, I realize what I was missing. ALso the highs are finally there, that was one thing I always hated about the e2s, the lack in highs (what's a cymbal?)

Thanks kramer!

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #103 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i kept mine on just in case.. i mean a notable amount of earwax builds up there, and it is bad if it touches the drivers.

hmm wonder if they fit marshmellows

lol looking at your signature it looks like you get a lot of things stolen
smily_headphones1.gif

haha anyways would the filters affect sound quality? i wouldn't assume so.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #105 of 120
One more happy customer. Listening to The Shins and Death Cab, enunciations seem more exposed and echoed mids & highs come across more clearly than they have since I bought the Shures early last month. The washers were thoroughly jammed up in there, a pushpin and some tweezers did nothing, so I broke out the cordless drill and a 5/32nds bit and gingerly cleared it out.

I picked up my E2Gs from Headroom's B-stock page, so they came with a card of extra filters (I'm not sure if the normal package does or not); smacked a couple down on there just to be safe, and the smallest clear tips... now I really can't wait for the LDM+ I bought to show up.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back