E2c mod... 56K warning
Aug 13, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #76 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Question
Hello,

This is my first post... er, question here,

I was wondering if anyone tried to open small holes (around some where posterior) to vent this plugs?

I remember such a post without details and pics but I can not even find it now.

Regards.

I didn't try that. Im willing to bet it makes minimal if any difference at all. The rear enclosure is isolated from the driver diaphragm. I posted a thread a long time ago with pics of my e2c disection.

Aug 13, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #77 of 120
Just did this mod, treble is definitely way better. Before I wasn't that convinced that the E2's treble was as laid back as people seemed to think, but now I know exactly what they meant. Too bad I wrecked the filters when I took them out, so theres no going back for me

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #78 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I didn't try that. Im willing to bet it makes minimal if any difference at all. The rear enclosure is isolated from the driver diaphragm. I posted a thread a long time ago with pics of my e2c disection.

BTW, and I don't know if I've mentioned this already kramer, but your musical taste is so similar to mine that it's frankly scary! Seperated at birth, perhaps?
confused.gif

orphsmile.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #79 of 120
BUMP

Wanted to confirm the validity of the praise the kramer mod has received. Modded the left ear only and listened for a bit. Determined that left ear was more affected by listening experience. More sound coming to left ear resulted in a left ear that recoiled more from listening compared to right ear. Basically, left ear is deafer than the right just after listening to E2s.

Ingenious, kramer. Funny how the rest of us just looked at that washer and kept listening. Good on you, man.

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #80 of 120
contrary to what all ppl think, the mod sounds bad imho
there is an unnatural boost in the mid-highs (maybe around 2k-3k?)
resulting in an undesirable coloration of the sound
the bass, which imo is e2's strength, also becomes less tight
i hope i could get it replaced... hope shure is generous enoughhhh haha

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #81 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by walter_12_3
contrary to what all ppl think, the mod sounds bad imho
there is an unnatural boost in the mid-highs (maybe around 2k-3k?)
resulting in an undesirable coloration of the sound
the bass, which imo is e2's strength, also becomes less tight
i hope i could get it replaced... hope shure is generous enoughhhh haha

I still like the bass with the washers taken out, but I do agree that sometimes the increased treble is just too much. I definitely notice much more sibilance than I did before. It even ruins (and I mean really ruins) one of my favourite Murder by Death songs - the singer sounds as if he has a horrible lisp, and I can actually hear the air whistling as it goes through the tube!
blink.gif

Of course, there are other times when the increased treble is just perfect. I find that it makes the E2c much less boring than I used to find it. I don't think I'll be going back. Plus, since I stopped using the wax guards long ago, it's actually possible to clean the earwax out of the tubes by simply taking some of the fluff off of a q-tip so that it fits in the tube, then just ramming it in.

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #82 of 120
I did this mod a couple days ago, tried to do the paperclip method with limited success. I ended up cracking one of the tubes and had to file it down so that it would be flat again. I'm inclined somewhat to agree with walter that the sound feels unnatural now. I think this mod calls attention to the detail and punch that's lacking elsewhere in the soundscape. The Low mids and upper bass feels recessed now, and almost gets lost in the mix. Anyone know how to fix this? I read some thread about people drilling their E2c, was supposed to give them a more open bass. I can't seem to find it now though.

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #83 of 120
randomly found this mod and kramer, you must be a genius to figure these things out. Now my e2cs are one step closer to beating my Grado SR-225s.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. My grados kick ass!

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #84 of 120
Are you guys using the little screen? I bought mine modded, but the screen still fit so i put it on.

Will this hinder performance of bass or anything? Should i remove them...thanks.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #85 of 120
The E2C is my first serious set of phones, when I bought the then newly released 3G iPod. It was a nice phone, but the dark sound plus the lack of treble/mid gets to be a bit much after a while, and so I moved on to CX300 for IEM, and Grado SR-60 and AKG 81dj for much of my mobile listening.

I was just about to put them on for sale, when I did a last gasp listen and compare of the CX300 and the E2C, and found that I actually kinda like the E2C's sound if I can just get a bit more of the mid/high. A quick search turn to this thread, and a little jiggling with the hanlde of a mini binder clip later, the E2C is back in the running!

BTW, the chrome handle of the binder clip also works well as a place to keep those little washers. I just hoop the washer onto the chrome handle, put the handle back into the binder clip, and off it goes into the drawer.

Now I just have to get a new set of foam sleeves, or the new black soft sleeves, and I'm all set!

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #86 of 120
Worked great, put some life into these things.

I used the point on the end of a metal/diamond manicure file. Popped the rings right out.

I've had them for about two years and wore them daily for the isolation they give for subways and NYC street noise. They were great for that, but this mod really puts some polish up top, gives them some air finally.

Now I can't wait for the DT880's I ordered to get here, these E2c's are rough with people in the room...taking them in and out to find out what people are saying is a pain. They don't do 'background music' very well.

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #87 of 120
Well, on a sleepness night I happened upon this little forum and spotted the mod. As a Shure E2C owner of nearly two years, I've grown to love these bastards. Even with my Super.fi 5 Pro's in the arsenal, I still will occasionally take the E2C's to work with me (sound isolation key on the NYC subway).

I just completed the mod, and it seems that my old-as-hell E2C's filters were just about melted in... I basically had to scrape them out and kinda ruined the tubes in the process... lol. Even so, wow, what a difference.

Though I gotta admit, I kinda liked that they were a little less bright than my Super.fi 5 Pro's. Welp, no going back now.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #88 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you guys using the little screen? I bought mine modded, but the screen still fit so i put it on.

Will this hinder performance of bass or anything? Should i remove them...thanks.

i'm wondering this as well - i kindof have lots of earwax (i do clean my ears nearly every day)

how easy is cleaning it without the washers? i really dont want to damage them with my wax. it seems like using a stripped q-tip could push stuff down to drivers

edit: just did this mod with my new black e2(c or are they g?) and one side was relatively easy to come off - only a little dent in the washer. the other one was like molded into it and i got a quarter out and the rest i picked out with a pushpin. it did not look pretty and it is very rough.
frown.gif

well, they sound great!

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #89 of 120
Interesting mod...

...I will do that when the warranty expires.... hmmm... and thats about in two years.

Kinda dissapointed by the sound quality but you cant ask for more isolation.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #90 of 120
Alright, I need to comment on this mod. I've been a little frustrated with the E2c as of late. My other set of decent headphones are some 10 year old sony mdr-v6 headphones which have a completely opposite sound to the e2c.

They sound airy and open, although I use bass boost on my mp3gained files with the sonys since I'm a basshead. While I loved the punch of amped (pa2v2) e2c I was a little frustrated at the lack of clarity in the upper registers, and the fact that the soundstage was completely contained within my head. They sounded perfect for old recordings with horns but the lack of upper register sibilance sort of made me sad.

So I did the mod, and I honestly think everyone in this thread is understating how much this mod affects the e2c. I have about 2-300 hours of listening to the e2c amped (developer, I listen all day at work and need isolation). the soundstage opens up. Not all sounds are completely inside my head now. Snare punch and cymbal sparkle are here in full force. they're not quite as clear as my v6s, but I prefer the guttural punch that the e2c retains. Just listened to some rap and bass test tracks and the full bass is there.

There does however seem to be a spike in the upper registers, not around 2k-3k but more in the 9k-11k range. I haven't fully listened to them other than a cursory test but I don't go into shock anymore changing from my e2c to v6s anymore.

Awesome mod, however a warning to anyone wanting to do it. DO NOT DO THIS if you like the rolled off highs of your e2c.

Edit: Oh and I seriously need someone to ip ban me from here..... seriously. I joined right after Christmas. 400 dollars and counting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back