E2c mod... 56K warning
Nov 2, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #31 of 120
Garrett,

I have used the modded E2 for more than two months now and I can report that the overall sound is much more enjoyable. Less congestion, more treble extension and midrange air. Definitely a whole lot better that way, I have started using them again as my No.1 portable phone. No upgrade itch here.

Cheers!

Matthias

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #32 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Took the mod a step further, and dremeld off this ridge. This allows the sleeve to sit fartherw down the tube and hence brings the driver closer to the eardrum. Better bass impact and midrange dynamics results. Pics available upon request.

WOW... my e2c now has treble!! and it sits better in my small-ish ears.

initial impressions made groovin to some live Bryan Setzer Orchestra. Will do some Clapton unplugged tonight.

Garrett

very nice mod, especially since my e2c hasn't seen much usage lately... number 1 reason being the rather congested treble frequencies. this mod helps it quite a bit.

i couldn't hear any difference in bass impact though. maybe i'm just concentrating too much on the increased highs.

anyway thanks for the tip!

edit: dealing with all the bureaucracy at my company... i wonder if this was one of those compromise situations... engineering designs an IEM, sounds great - sales and marketing comes back and says "we need a wax guard". engineering now has to compromise sound quality... anyway, thats how it works in my company
mad.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #33 of 120
Hmmmm. Can anyone that's done the mod compare the "new" sound to the UE Super 5 EB 's I was thinking of purchasing in the very near future?

Also someone several posts up stated that you must amp the E2's. Can you elaborate why since at 16 Ohms, the E2's are one of the easiest phones to drive? Just wondering.

Nov 3, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
Hmmmm. Can anyone that's done the mod compare the "new" sound to the UE 2's I was thinking of purchasing in the very near future?

Also someone several posts up stated that you must amp the E2's. Can you elaborate why since at 16 Ohms, the E2's are one of the easiest phones to drive? Just wondering.

Low impedence cans NEED ample current reserves for transient peaks and dynamics.... just as much as any other headphone. My e2c sounds much more dynamic, quick and transparent amped with a govibe or PA2, as compared to my MP3 player headphone out. Unamped it sounds like youre running it through a compressor, and dynamics are flattened. Volume boost is not the main benefeit of amp-ing.

Frequency response seems to extend further too, but that might be an artifact/coloration of the govibe.

Garrett

Nov 4, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #35 of 120
I just got through modding my E2c's (I love sand paper...), and they sound great. I used to have to EQ the hell out of the upper frequencies to get an enjoyable sound, but now they sound great without any tinkering. An hour ago I was eyeing ER6i's, but thanks to this I can get back to saving up for an amp. Thanks kramer.

Update: Sepultura just came on, and I almost lost my mind. These things sound great.

Nov 11, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #36 of 120
Just did the mod, and wow, the saying "Stock E2c's sound as if listening to a speaker through a funnel" is spot on.

I didnt cut the tip off though, I simply dremmelled through the blockage at the tip. This way the plastic extention is not shortenned and you will not loose the seal by accidentally cutting off too much tip.

e2_1.jpg

e2_2.jpg

They are still no SA5Ks by far in terms of clarity or speed, but man o' man they sound MUCH better without that annoying muffling veil.

This mod is HIGHLY recommended!

Thanks Kramer!

Dec 2, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #37 of 120
I just did the mod on my newly-acquired E2c's using a ball-tipped attachment for my Dremel, effectively drilling out the plugs - and Dream Theater sounds 100% better; Portnoy's high hat sounds magical now, and the mids and bass are clearer as well.

Great mod, Garrett, thanks!
3000smile.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #38 of 120
I just modded my e2c's using the ball-point dremel bit method to remove the "funnels". Listening to them now, and I think there is a little more treble sparkle/air. In fact I think I may have actually heard cymbal decay. Then again I'm extremely susceptible to placebo effect so take what I say with a big grain of salt.

***edit***
I concur with your opinion of more lively mids as well. I'm listening to Bartender from the Dave Matthews Band - Weekend On The Rocks live set. There is some extended piano parts and they sound really nice and lively. Also Baritone sax is a lot more present.

Thanks for the suggestion Garrett. I'm so happy with this result, I may actually get around to finishing the mod on my KSC-75s (cut the foam, never drilled the holes)

George

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #39 of 120
I had done this mod a while back and agree with all of the positive comment about the change. I'll never get rid of my E2's. Having said that, I have since bought E3's and I can without question say that they are a step up from E2's in every way but you gotta get the fit right.

While the bass was tighter and the midrange was slightly better, the highs seemed lacking. It took a lot of screwing around but once I figured out the correct custom fit for me, I was shocked how clear the highs came through (using the smallest flex sleeves). I couldn't be happier with these things. I can't see how anyone would say these things are lame. It's all in the fit. And man, are they comfortable (compared to E2's).

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #40 of 120
It's time I chimed in on this mod, it is a must do for all E2 owners. I did this a few months ago, perhaps foolishly I did it the day after I got my E2c, so I don't have the most accurate impression of the difference it made, but I definitely did notice a big improvement in treble.

Now, months later, I've added an amp and got the ultrasoft tips, each of which make a big difference to my ears, and these sound fantastic! I don't EQ them, and I have no wish for any more for higher treble at all. Adding an amp really is a must for these phones, and your amp must be able to drive something as low impedance as 16 ohms. My solution is to use a cmoy, with resistors in series with the output, to bump up the impedance of the headphones, to make it easier to supply sufficient current. Bumping up the impedance in this way made a very significant difference to the sound, especially in bass depth and quantity.

Now I can listen to my E2c's very happily. My main cans are MS-1's, and I don't feel disappointed with the sound of the E2c's in comparison to them. I find the treble to be just as satisfactory, and while the bass on the E2c's is nowhere near as deep or plentiful, it sounds fine for most music and is surprisingly punchy. I would also say that when modded, the E2c's have a similar sort of sound presentation to the MS-1's, although they sound "littler", they have that nice lush mid-range, great for rock!

Overall a great mod, anyone who hasn't done this, please do!

Feb 7, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #41 of 120
just did this mod, but its much easier to do than using a drill.

if you look closely, the small hole is actually like a small plastic "washer" glued into the end. i stuck a bent paper clip down the hole and then with a few twists and pulls the plastic "washer" came out fully intact, ready to be glued back in place if you change your mind.

(edit: spelling demon)

Feb 7, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #42 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by southsea

if you look closely, the small hole is actually like a small plastic "washer" glued into the end. i stuck a bent paper clip down the hole and then with a few twists and pulls the plastic "washer" came out fully intact, ready to be glued back in place if you change your mind.

God damn, that made it easy. 5 minute mod now.
And these earphones definitly sound better. Quick test run on some iron maiden resulted in some highs that were not only muffled before, but completely cut off. Jet also sounds better.
Bass was not improved much, but im not blaming that one on this mod, as im listening on an ipod 3g (which is known to have bass rolloff problems), and these are unamped (cmoy parts arent all here yet).
-g

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #43 of 120
Quote:

WHOA!!! NICE FIND!!!

I always wondered why the end part looked like it could separate.

Can you post pics of what the tube looks like with that washer removed?

Is it the same with the e2g? (the black one)

Thanks,
Garrett

Feb 8, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #44 of 120
Quote:

Now I'll really consider doing this mod. Perhaps the next best thing to happen to the e2c.

Feb 8, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #45 of 120
Hmm, I'm considering this now, too, but I'm still worried about what Shure would think of this. I don't want to void my warranty...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back