E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
May 19, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #736 of 1,483
Ahh nice i just a super detailed list with all features from the discord.. so this should answer most questions about 9038s G3

from Discord:
-- The regular update of 9038S DAC+HPA, we've named that 9038SG3.
-- Pretty much the same sounding and specs but some major weaknesses of the G2 were improved dramatically.
--The first thing is another USB audio bridge with HW Volume(UAC2->ES9038), 32/384, and DSD256 support.
Sure, it's not a big deal but I don't know another portable DAC with DSD256 support for Android, only DSD128.
-- Also, 9038SG3 got the standby mode to save your phone battery if DAC is idle > 2 minutes.
-- Strongly reduced LTE buzzing noise aka "static", hence 9038SG3 become more and more portable.
-- Slightly improved SNR, Dynamic Range, and THD+N.
-- Due to PCM384 and DSD the frequency response is extended up to 100kHz(10-100kHz +0.1/-0.3db).
--The output impedance is 100mohm.
-- The LED flashing frequency is proportional to the audio data rate. 44.1kHz LED blinks 1 time per 2S, 88.2kHz 1 time per 1S etc. We have deleted audio modes and by default, you have only the Performance mode(without any delays/interruptions!).
-- Instead, we gonna give you a lot of hardware ES9038Q2M DAC control with our new Android "E1DA Tweak" app with the preset manager, harmonics distortions compensation, Nyquist's filter selection, MasterClock frequency and more, most of these parameters could be dynamical defined depends on HW Volume, of Audio DATA Rate etc. In other words, make your own ES9038Q2M based DAC, and save that as a preset( to share this preset)!
-- However, the app release is delayed, thanks covid19 one more time.
-- The new USB bridge lets you update 9038SG3 FirmWare by USB, and I'll provide FW file everyone who gonna go to use the app.
-- The new 9038S version will have a black sandblasted anodized aluminum case and caps machined with CNC(G2 used laser-cut that's not too accurate).
-- Logo and the model name are laser marked, an elegant and reliable solution vs G2 silk print.
-- All these improvements have some cost but as usual, 9038SG3 price range would be similar to the predecessor
--The current Firmware(FW V1.0) configured to work as G2 "Performance mode" for PCM 44.1-192kHz to make a most clean THD harmonics distribution, and as G2 "Normal mode" for PCM384kHz and DSD to provide the best Dynamic Range(123db(A), Performance mode has 1db less) and SNR up to -123db(A).
--THD compensation utilizes two volume zones, one, if the volume = 0dbfs then the THD compensation optimized for light-load condition(good for high impedance open-back headphones, planars and so on), the second zone -127..-1db optimized for 32ohm load.
--The Nyquist filter is a linear phase slow roll-off. For legacy 44.1kHz I would like to recommend a sharper filter(see Tweak app) to make exact 0db at 20kHz but the slow one sounds a bit more comfortable to me.

Thats a lot of stuff!
For me the two killer improvements are 1. The reduction in buzz from the cellular antenna which made the g2 useless when used with my cell phone out and about, and 2. the elimination of the chance the 9038s will switch modes due to a flaky connection and go from iem mode to blasting in your eardrums full volume mode. That latter has honestly kept me from my g2 version...

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #737 of 1,483
Yep.. totally the "cellphone user" must have features!

May 19, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #738 of 1,483
Yep.. totally the "cellphone user" must have features!
In case you were referring to my post, to be fair I already have three desktop DAC/Amp pairs, so the only use model I personally am interested in for the 9038s g3 is the mobile one (either from my cell phone or DAP), hence why of all the improvements, those two in particular get my attention. I am certain the 9038s is brilliant for those who use it as a desktop setup, but as I mentioned, not my particular need.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #739 of 1,483
Yes for desktop its amazing what you get and it now works Volume control with (cr)apple products!
Still i prefer Pdv2 at home but nice to have them both :wink:

May 27, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #740 of 1,483
CHOMPING away here waiting for a PDV2 with HARDWARE CONTROL BUTTONS....designer dude...hurry up and take our money !

May 28, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #741 of 1,483
My clarity bomb has arrived!
IMG_20200528_081703-01.jpeg

Cliff notes: zero interference from phone, uses about 12% battery per hour on a mix of FLAC and MP3 at mid-high volume, incredibly detailed sound, really can't fault it. Tested plug and play-ability on pc and mac, seems fine, no detection issues. Bought it to use with T800s (4ohm bass driver impedance) primarily, and it's exceeded my wildest expectations, finally the bass sounds as good as the rest of the FR.
Very, very cool gear, and miniscule!

May 28, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #742 of 1,483
Isn't it crazy how these tiny dongle are being used with mid-fi and up gear.

May 28, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #744 of 1,483
This dongle is Hi-fi and it also will have a crazy app too..

May 31, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #745 of 1,483
So as it turns out after longer use on both the 9038S and PDV2, both their female ports were or became loose..previously I thought my phone
micro-USB port was loose with 9038S but after using the Fiio BTR5 wired with same phone over OTG cable and moving the unit all over the place the connection was never broken between the devices. I was about to buy a new USB-C phone to use it with 9038S new model. Maybe it was production sizing tolerances were off on E1Da stuff ports..OR I had male cables that were not exactly fitting to the male/female tightness requirements.

Anyway, I'll look out for any dropped connection reports on the new 9038s V3 hooked up to phones specifically before buying one.

Still a big fanboy of the company whatever the issues were on port tightness/tolerances.

May 31, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #746 of 1,483
Hello guys, I just discovered this thread. I’m very interested the Power dac because of the PEQ on the app. Has anyone discovered any DIY cable mods that will allow me to use this unit as a DAC for my non-balanced amp AUNE x7s? Thank you!

May 31, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #747 of 1,483
Hello guys, I just discovered this thread. I’m very interested the Power dac because of the PEQ on the app. Has anyone discovered any DIY cable mods that will allow me to use this unit as a DAC for my non-balanced amp AUNE x7s? Thank you!

The moderator on the Discord knows how to make the cable you would need to diy.

May 31, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #749 of 1,483
It's possible with XLR but not with RCA. I could be wrong tho.

Discord link - https://discord.gg/U9Z28KC

May 31, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #750 of 1,483
a non balanced amp will have a common ground, that means it will short the 9038s and fry it. Very easy to see when you open up your amp, very easy to measure with a DMM; if you use the =/ with the beeper on and you look for contact between the left and right ground it will beep for 'nèèh, wrong answer'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back