E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #766 of 1,483
Usb cable has an extra wire that routes the ground outside and around the pdv2 to the left passiv speaker output on my tube amp.
Since the TRRS on the pdv2 does not transmit any ground signal this worked.. And told the guy building my amp that he had to get this running.

But dondt try this at home if you have no clue if you and your amp can do this! Absolutly not or we hear stories about michael bay explosion pdv2s :wink:

Interesting...your tube amp is balanced, TRRS cannot do single ended!

I do not mind a smoking pdv2, explosive would be an problem :slight_smile:

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #767 of 1,483
Interesting and i really am curious to try an r2r dac when i have to much money flying around (aresII)
..since i cant compare i still prefer pdv2 over 9038s at home and it sounds amazing paired with my tube amp and customized usb cables solving the ground problem

One thing is interstellar about pdv2.. its the biggest bang for the buck dac around and my usb cable was more expensive than the dac :wink:)

I have several R2R dac's and love them. They give me the best natural sound. My last DAC purchase was a Moonshadow 9038q2m DAC I bought from Linsoul and I must say, it sound very good. That's why I wanted the E1DA 9038s for mobile use. It's very convenient, small and very well made. My main DAC is still the modded Teradak 8XTDA though. It gives a bit narrower soundstage and dynamics are just a hint less 'in your face'. But it never misses on piano or soprano voices (those notorious whistleblowers). It calms things down to real life proportions.

I have always been looking for the final step up, I thought it would be the 16x TDA1543 but then I saw the discrete R2R's appearing. They looked promising, but I wasn't sure if they would follow my line of thought, what I did with my dac's (output stage). Then I saw the Holo... drool... but at what price. That's beyond my reach. Enter Dynafrips Ares (II already). I'm so close to pushing the button. Looks, functionality, layout, reviews, all looks good for it to be my ultimate DAC at ⅓ the price of the Holo Spring and better sound. Just the $ is dropping... when to seal the deal? So as much as I like the 9038s, the Ares II is as close to endgame for me as my Koetsu Urushi on my turntable.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #768 of 1,483
yeah I read your interesting comments about r2r dacs in another thread.
the 9038S G3 is really an exeptional good small device for mobile.

Yep Ares II is what i want some day :wink: .. until then i am very happy with pdv2 that works great with my amp.
Ivan really gets most out of the 9038 chip and will be interesting what the ap version and the app will do.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #769 of 1,483
Am digging the Monoprice M350 planar so far with PDV2...more time needed....had it one day.
Can be had at discount from monoprice EU right now. 31mm open planar units, warmish...may be W-shaped on initial impressions.
The PDV2 'veneer' takes the edge off the 350s upper end, decent microdetail/imaging still.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #770 of 1,483
Am digging the Monoprice M350 planar so far with PDV2...more time needed....had it one day.
Can be had at discount from monoprice EU right now. 31mm open planar units, warmish...may be W-shaped on initial impressions.
The PDV2 'veneer' takes the edge off the 350s upper end, decent microdetail/imaging still.
Hmmmm, it appears M350 are a bit fickle with after-market MMCX plugs which work on my other IEMs, some click in tight, some don't. Back they go.... :triportsad:

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #771 of 1,483
Hmmmm, it appears M350 are a bit fickle with after-market MMCX plugs which work on my other IEMs, some click in tight, some don't. Back they go.... :triportsad:
though are they not fitting as in entering or not clicking? i had a problem with a pair of acoustunes, the right one used to twist the mmcx pin and that really was worrying me, turned out i placed a needle in the female side of the connector, just enough to open it a bit, now they work like a charm, as well i had a problem with a fiio cable, it turned out the ring surrounding the connector was badly "folded" had to re shape it with a couple of plyers, maybe some physical problem going on?

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #773 of 1,483
You mean on uapp? App is not out yet.

Keep left & right full. Use master vol.
Screenshot_20200611-215634879.jpg

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #775 of 1,483
Hi,

Im new to this thread. I just ordered the 9038s gen3 and the PDV2. Should be delivered within a month or so (thanks Corona). But all Im doing now is hyping myself up by reading all these posts! Ive heard nothing but amazing things about these two products. I have Campfire Audio Atlas with a silver litz balanced cable as well as Aurisonics 2.5 also balanced cable.

My current DAC collection consists of the BTR5, ifi xDSD (and xCAN), Dragonfly Red and iBasso DC01.

With the IEM's that I have, will the E1DA 9038s and the PDV2 pulverize everything I currently own in terms of SQ?? =P Im quite fond of the xDSD and the BTR5 wired setup. How much better will the 9038s/PDV2 sound over these two DACs? I listen to a lot of Electronic music so Im really big on micro-detail and soundstage. Im thinking Ill be happier with the 9038s??

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #776 of 1,483
Hi,

Im new to this thread. I just ordered the 9038s gen3 and the PDV2. Should be delivered within a month or so (thanks Corona). But all Im doing now is hyping myself up by reading all these posts! Ive heard nothing but amazing things about these two products. I have Campfire Audio Atlas with a silver litz balanced cable as well as Aurisonics 2.5 also balanced cable.

My current DAC collection consists of the BTR5, ifi xDSD (and xCAN), Dragonfly Red and iBasso DC01.

With the IEM's that I have, will the E1DA 9038s and the PDV2 pulverize everything I currently own in terms of SQ?? =P Im quite fond of the xDSD and the BTR5 wired setup. How much better will the 9038s/PDV2 sound over these two DACs? I listen to a lot of Electronic music so Im really big on micro-detail and soundstage. Im thinking Ill be happier with the 9038s??
Can't really compare with any of the ones you have, but man... This thing is clean. I thought there was some bass roll off going on at first, till I realized it's just completely free of audible distortion. Highs are as good as you've heard. Can't wait for the app.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #777 of 1,483
Can't really compare with any of the ones you have, but man... This thing is clean. I thought there was some bass roll off going on at first, till I realized it's just completely free of audible distortion. Highs are as good as you've heard. Can't wait for the app.

Yup! Thats what Ive been reading! Super clean and super precise! I was gonna get the Dragonfly Cobalt, but man.... I did NOT wanna shell out $300 on that thing. Too much money and seems like its overpriced. But Im super excited for the 9038s. And you said there's going to be an app for the gen 3??? I know the gen 2 doesnt have one, but is it the same app thats used for the PDV2?

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #778 of 1,483
Yup! Thats what Ive been reading! Super clean and super precise! I was gonna get the Dragonfly Cobalt, but man.... I did NOT wanna shell out $300 on that thing. Too much money and seems like its overpriced. But Im super excited for the 9038s. And you said there's going to be an app for the gen 3??? I know the gen 2 doesnt have one, but is it the same app thats used for the PDV2?
Nope, completely new app. Called the E1DA Tweak App. AFAIK there will be even more customization options, probably due to the ESS9038 DAC having so many possibilities within the chip itself.
Also, be happy you didn't get the cobalt, there are way better options for the price. Actually, the LinLvMei S2 is a better option for 200, and the 9038S is a better choice for 100 haha. Honestly, unless you need CRAZY power, 9038S is pretty much endgame if you're sane.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #779 of 1,483
Nope, completely new app. Called the E1DA Tweak App. AFAIK there will be even more customization options, probably due to the ESS9038 DAC having so many possibilities within the chip itself.
Also, be happy you didn't get the cobalt, there are way better options for the price. Actually, the LinLvMei S2 is a better option for 200, and the 9038S is a better choice for 100 haha. Honestly, unless you need CRAZY power, 9038S is pretty much endgame if you're sane.

Whew, thats good to hear! Glad I didnt get the Cobalt. it seemed like marginal improvement over the Red for a crap ton of cash just cos its new. Thats so cool to hear about the new app! When is it releasing? Do you know?

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #780 of 1,483
I have the 9038s gen3 on order as well and really eagerly awaiting it. Another option to consider is the Lotoo S1. A bit more money, but physical buttons, a small screen, and great sound also make it a nice option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back