E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #796 of 1,501
THANKS, this above post inspired me give my mess of cables and 5V/2A battery another final try with PDV2 and phone/Hiby....never had to go near cable cutting thankfully.....found my issue - just by dialing and dialing around...I had a small female/female USB-C adapter to get things all hooked up....the adapter was strangely directional and I never thought it would be - one way it did not work, and I kept hooking it in the way it would not work up till now (about 4 times)....soon as I finally flipped it round, Hiby popped up the E1DA connect screen !
Y.E.S.
Been dying to use PDV2 out-and-about melting my chest with that crazy heat it puts out (haha) with my battery/DAC sling cable mess I'll have it in.
:ksc75smile:
Happy to help, my man. :)

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #799 of 1,501
Hi, I want to buy a E1DA DAC to connect from my PC sound card to my vintage hifi system. I read that the output is 2.5mm balanced. May I know what kind of cable should I buy to connect it to my amplifier? Any example from Amazon or other sites?
I think the whole system (amp, etc) would have to be balanced in order to not fry the 9038S. This is a question best asked on the E1DA Discord channel, though. Those guys are more knowledgable than myself.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #800 of 1,501
Hi, I want to buy a E1DA DAC to connect from my PC sound card to my vintage hifi system. I read that the output is 2.5mm balanced. May I know what kind of cable should I buy to connect it to my amplifier? Any example from Amazon or other sites?

You won't be able to with out making your own diy solution.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #801 of 1,501
I think the whole system (amp, etc) would have to be balanced in order to not fry the 9038S. This is a question best asked on the E1DA Discord channel, though. Those guys are more knowledgable than myself.
so in that case, if I'm using a conventional vintage amplifier, I'd have to get a DAC with 3.5mm output?

And, where is this E1DA Discord channel?

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #802 of 1,501
You can find it on the E1DA website https://discord.gg/U9Z28KC

Problem with connecting the balanced thing to an amp is pretty simple.
The 2,5mm TRRS cable only carries the signal but no ground from those dacs.

So you need to to cut open the usb cable and add a wire that carries the ground to your amp. I have plugged this on my passive speaker output of my tube amp.

Without passing on the ground you might get michael bay explosions :wink:

Also with a cellphone connected you need one of those very rare wireless ground cables. those can be hooked to simens airhooks (.. *jokelamp is burning intensely)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #804 of 1,501
So you need to to cut open the usb cable and add a wire that carries the ground to your amp. I have plugged this on my passive speaker output of my tube amp.
Can you provide more details on this? Pictures?

I read a lot of good things about E1DA, I have thousands of lossless files in my hard drive, I really wish to play them on my hifi thru a good DAC.

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #805 of 1,501
Can you provide more details on this? Pictures?

I read a lot of good things about E1DA, I have thousands of lossless files in my hard drive, I really wish to play them on my hifi thru a good DAC.

they are found in the same category as the Zündkerzen Funken and the discount package of 5 o' clocks, plinth escalators etc...

Simple, any normal amplifier has a common ground, input ring of cinch-inputs are all connected. The outputs of the E1DA are signal + and - . If you connect R- to L- by connecting them to common ground on the amp you will fry the circuit of the E1DA output. The unbalanced version hasn't come out yet.

I use my Tempotec HD pro as makeshift dac and that works pretty well. The 9038s is only best used as HP amp.

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #807 of 1,501
Hello i have purchased the 9038S 3Gen, it's simply amazing!!! :beyersmile:

What are the settings for the best audio quality with Neutron and USB Audio Player PRO? ( Android)

Thank you!
Just make sure you have the software volume maxed, as well as the left/right hardware sliders. Use the master hardware volume as the sole volume control.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #809 of 1,501
Just picked up Gen3 9038S from the 'cult of E1DA'.
"See the music". :ksc75smile:

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #810 of 1,501
I’ve tried various ways of mounting / connecting the 9038s, settled on this semi-permanent arrangement (double sided tape under the dac to counter the tension from the usb cable). Tried L-connectors as well but was getting too much lateral play in the 9038s port, and random disconnects (cheap connectors, though it’s a shallow port, which doesn’t help).
6CD13CD3-891C-4536-A2F9-E6587E196F4E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back