E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #781 of 1,501
Whew, thats good to hear! Glad I didnt get the Cobalt. it seemed like marginal improvement over the Red for a crap ton of cash just cos its new. Thats so cool to hear about the new app! When is it releasing? Do you know?
Not sure about when the app comes out. I know it was tentatively already supposed to be out, but then coivd hit. E1DA is a small operation, with the creator (Ivan) and I believe just one other person hand-soldering everything. He's hard at work, but I believe it will be out in the fall. You can join the E1DA discord channel to keep yourself in the loop, as well as for advice. There's a guy on there, also on here I think, called Static(v3 I think), who's helped me a ton. How to mod a y splitter so the power bank feeds the 9038s, cable advice, just a super solid guy and channel. E1DA makes great products, but they're also just a cool thing to be a part of.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #783 of 1,501
Not sure about when the app comes out. I know it was tentatively already supposed to be out, but then coivd hit. E1DA is a small operation, with the creator (Ivan) and I believe just one other person hand-soldering everything. He's hard at work, but I believe it will be out in the fall. You can join the E1DA discord channel to keep yourself in the loop, as well as for advice. There's a guy on there, also on here I think, called Static(v3 I think), who's helped me a ton. How to mod a y splitter so the power bank feeds the 9038s, cable advice, just a super solid guy and channel. E1DA makes great products, but they're also just a cool thing to be a part of.

That’s awesome! I will definitely be joining the discord channel asap. I don’t mind waiting. I just wanna know that it’s definitely gonna come out eventually. lol. So I’m assuming the new app will work the same way the app for the PDV2 works? Communicates via Bluetooth to the actual unit? I know the 9038s gen 3 doesn’t transmit Bluetooth so it’s not like a BTR5. Thanks for all the help!

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #786 of 1,501
Yeah i am lurking in that discord 24/7 a long time now and get more knowledge and infos from there than from any forum :wink:

The original Dacs where built to power a he400i and at the moment E1DA is not only the one designing those dacs but he now assembles the first batches at home with around 30 a day "like a robot" until Assembling in Factorys starts again.

He is in Shenzhen and his son that makes the Hptoy app and the upcoming app is in Russia but that corona stuff makes it problematic at the moment.

Well 9038S G3 and "the D" are awesome but the 9038AP will possibly be a game changer :wink:

Really nice to be able to ask him directly! :wink: Support is interstellar there

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #787 of 1,501
I am having trouble using pdv2 with my LG V20.
i use the y split connected to lg and mobile battery bank (or wall socket) and otg cable connected to pdv2.
Led on pdv2 lights up, but lg doesn’t want to recognize the external dac thus playing music through speaker instead of the IEM connected to the pdv2.
One time, don’t know how, it worked, seemingly powered directly by lg without any power bank, but then I could not succeed in let it work again.
Anyone willing to help?

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #788 of 1,501
I am having trouble using pdv2 with my LG V20.
i use the y split connected to lg and mobile battery bank (or wall socket) and otg cable connected to pdv2.
Led on pdv2 lights up, but lg doesn’t want to recognize the external dac thus playing music through speaker instead of the IEM connected to the pdv2.
One time, don’t know how, it worked, seemingly powered directly by lg without any power bank, but then I could not succeed in let it work again.
Anyone willing to help?
Have you modded your Y Splitter to eliminate power transfer between your phone and the PDV2? This is just a thought, but it might be that your phone isn't giving it enough power for it to run, but it's giving it enough power that it's not triggering the power bank to power it.

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #789 of 1,501
Have you modded your Y Splitter to eliminate power transfer between your phone and the PDV2? This is just a thought, but it might be that your phone isn't giving it enough power for it to run, but it's giving it enough power that it's not triggering the power bank to power it.

Thanks for the tip, how should I mod it?
Currently, if I put the pdv2 directly connected with no power bank to the LG V20 there is a battery icon with an arrow pointing right, with notification saying the v20 is charging the external dac. But no led lights up on pdv2...only very very few time randomly.
If I then connect the power bank, then the battery icon change on charging the LG instead of powering the dac, notification says its slowly charging the lg.
Even if I connect the whole dac+battery bank to the lg ex novo, then situation is like that.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #790 of 1,501
Thanks for the tip, how should I mod it?
Currently, if I put the pdv2 directly connected with no power bank to the LG V20 there is a battery icon with an arrow pointing right, with notification saying the v20 is charging the external dac. But no led lights up on pdv2...only very very few time randomly.
If I then connect the power bank, then the battery icon change on charging the LG instead of powering the dac, notification says its slowly charging the lg.
Even if I connect the whole dac+battery bank to the lg ex novo, then situation is like that.
First, make sure you have them all in the right places. (not trying to insult your intelligence, it just happens, lol). The Pdv2 should be at the "base" of the Y Split, the phone on the data+charge cable, and the power bank on the charge only cable.
To mod the Y splitter, cut a small incision in the sleeve of the cable between the phone and the Pdv2. You're looking for a red wire. If you see any bare, uncoated wire, don't worry, as this is just shielding. You can cut it if it's in your way. The cable you're looking for is probably under a sleeve of metal, which you can either carefully cut, or pry open. Once you find the red wire, cut it, and separate the ends so theyre not going to touch. Use electrical tape to seal it back up (I put one of the ends of the red wire outside of the coating, and under the electrical tape so there's no way they can touch again). You've now eliminated the power transfer between the phone and Pdv2, and the power bank will power it fully. Make sure your power source is 5V, and preferably at least 2a. If you need any help, feel free to post pics as you go. Good luck. :)

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #791 of 1,501
First, make sure you have them all in the right places. (not trying to insult your intelligence, it just happens, lol). The Pdv2 should be at the "base" of the Y Split, the phone on the data+charge cable, and the power bank on the charge only cable.
To mod the Y splitter, cut a small incision in the sleeve of the cable between the phone and the Pdv2. You're looking for a red wire. If you see any bare, uncoated wire, don't worry, as this is just shielding. You can cut it if it's in your way. The cable you're looking for is probably under a sleeve of metal, which you can either carefully cut, or pry open. Once you find the red wire, cut it, and separate the ends so theyre not going to touch. Use electrical tape to seal it back up (I put one of the ends of the red wire outside of the coating, and under the electrical tape so there's no way they can touch again). You've now eliminated the power transfer between the phone and Pdv2, and the power bank will power it fully. Make sure your power source is 5V, and preferably at least 2a. If you need any help, feel free to post pics as you go. Good luck. :)
This is how I have connected the pdv2. But lg is playing from its speakers and not from IEM connected to pdv2.
I believe this is the only combination I can connect the devices with these two cables.

Attachments

• BBB80C09-560B-44E7-B5F1-8E32A124D11D.jpeg
    BBB80C09-560B-44E7-B5F1-8E32A124D11D.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #794 of 1,501

THANKS, this above post inspired me give my mess of cables and 5V/2A battery another final try with PDV2 and phone/Hiby....never had to go near cable cutting thankfully.....found my issue - just by dialing and dialing around...I had a small female/female USB-C adapter to get things all hooked up....the adapter was strangely directional and I never thought it would be - one way it did not work, and I kept hooking it in the way it would not work up till now (about 4 times)....soon as I finally flipped it round, Hiby popped up the E1DA connect screen !
Y.E.S.
Been dying to use PDV2 out-and-about melting my chest with that crazy heat it puts out (haha) with my battery/DAC sling cable mess I'll have it in.
:ksc75smile:

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #795 of 1,501
Could you post some pics on where and how to cut the things? Are you also using an Lg V20?
Unfortunately, I have mine sealed already with heatshrink, and really don't want to cut another gash in it. You can join the E1DA discord channel, though, and there are pics of what to do in a pinned post on there. If you can't find it, ask StaticV3 to direct you. He's extremely helpful.

Unfortunately, I'm not using an LG V20, but I'm fairly certain that this is your issue. Are you using UAPP to see if anything is detected? I remember when I bought a Sabaj Da2, I had an experience very similar. No y splitter, but phone told me it was charging a device, and UAPP told me nothing was recognized. This is what leads me to believe your phone simply isn't giving it enough power, especially with the V20 being a little older of a phone.

On a side note, you'll need to install UAPP or Neutron anyway to gain hardware volume control. I highly recommend UAPP.

If you take a razor and cut the sleeve of the wire between the phone and Pdv2 (it doesn't have to be deep at all for it to split) , then take a picture of the inside, I can direct you from there. I am at work for another 4 hours but I can help then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back