E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jun 1, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #751 of 1,483
In case you were referring to my post, to be fair I already have three desktop DAC/Amp pairs, so the only use model I personally am interested in for the 9038s g3 is the mobile one (either from my cell phone or DAP), hence why of all the improvements, those two in particular get my attention. I am certain the 9038s is brilliant for those who use it as a desktop setup, but as I mentioned, not my particular need.
On that note,

E1da is releasing a dac-only version of the 9038.... Called the 9038ap.

The concept is:
"AP" stands Audio Precision i.e. the same as the most precise and expensive audio-analyzers from a famous US company. This is not just an accident, 9038AP has a distortion analyzer on board working in the same principle like APx555 and so on(notch+FFT). You can test the distorions of 9038AP with a crazy precision(V02 proto version can see 3rd harmonic at -127db, and I prepared the improved one V03 with hope to hit -135db) any time you wish, readjust that for any particular headphones(you'll see online with 9038AP BLE Android/iOS app how different HP affects the distortions), and save that like a preset.
Inputs:
USB-C PCM 32/384kHz DSD256
Optical SPDIF/Toslink 24/192kHz(combined with 3.5mm jack)
Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE) to control the DAC and THD analyzer(DSP involved)
Outputs:
XLR balanced 3-6VRMS
3.5mm jack unbalanced headphones output 3.5VRMS >500mW@16ohm
Additional USB-C connector for power only, you can use 5VDC charger and so on.
The mainboard is ready to be a single either dual configuration of ES9038Q2M DAC(to eliminate the mutual disturbances, the idea of small modules is implemented), also, I want to make it able to use with a single ES9038Pro.
I like the idea to supply that product just like a board to avoid production issues with decent looking housing.
The price is TBD but I hope the single ES9038Q2M will be $100.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #754 of 1,483
For Tempotec V1 with Hiby OS, will it be able to control hardware volume on 9038s G3?
I don't think it will in the way you mean. But you can control the volume on the V1 remotely anyway. With the exception of DSD if you send native bypassing volume. That already gave me a good scare when continuing from one folder to a DSD folder.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #755 of 1,483
So! got my 9038s g3, had to connect it to my macbook since the performance mode doesnt allow me to use it with my iphone (which is the main reason why i bought it... plop) so far, im really impressed, this is my first e1da product (got the poweramp along but ill play with it tomorrow) gotta love this little powerhouse, ill compare it to the ltp s1 since they arrive together and im way too tired to do an a/b comparison, but i can tell that it sounds mighty impressive in the mac

If anyone knows a way around to connect to my iphone without the app yet... i read that the old way of changing the start mode was disabled due to the upcoming android app, ill wait if needed, so far loving it though

update: got it to work through the camera adapter with the power outlet on, sounds pretty decent, though plugged in the power amp, reduced the volume of course... dude, wth! The only thing that needs is a effin line out to be the most amazing thing I’ve played with, the possibilities are endless!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #756 of 1,483
Tin HiFi P1 via 9038s gen 3 on my phone with Wavelet EQ.

Nice.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #757 of 1,483
Tin HiFi P1 via 9038s gen 3 on my phone with Wavelet EQ.

Nice.
Wish I spent more time with P1 - I found them sterile and almost like a single BA. Guess I was expecting Abyss in IEM format for under $200.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #760 of 1,483
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #762 of 1,483
however enticing the HiFiToy looks or is, and I really like the possibilities, it would cut 2 legs from under my table... first is that I still like vinyl better and have a large collection and expensive setup. And second, dispite all measurements presented (which are helpful but never the last word on sound quality) I still prefer NOS R2R topology.

I like E1DA his vision and ideas, and I like the idea for active amping with the HiFiToy but it would lock me in the (complex topology) of sigma delta DAC (I/V-stage, filtering). It would make things simpler from there to the drivers, but an R2R would be 3 lengths ahead in that race before entering the amp. Engineering is making choices and setting priorities and every strong point has some sort of downside. Every advantage has its disadvantage.

I don't think it can be a complete solution just yet, but interesting nonetheless.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #763 of 1,483
Interesting and i really am curious to try an r2r dac when i have to much money flying around (aresII)
..since i cant compare i still prefer pdv2 over 9038s at home and it sounds amazing paired with my tube amp and customized usb cables solving the ground problem

One thing is interstellar about pdv2.. its the biggest bang for the buck dac around and my usb cable was more expensive than the dac :wink:)

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #764 of 1,483
Interesting and i really am curious to try an r2r dac when i have to much money flying around (aresII)
..since i cant compare i still prefer pdv2 over 9038s at home and it sounds amazing paired with my tube amp and customized usb cables solving the ground problem

One thing is interstellar about pdv2.. its the biggest bang for the buck dac around and my usb cable was more expensive than the dac :wink:)

What customization was made, cutting off the power part of USB cable?

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #765 of 1,483
Usb cable has an extra wire that routes the ground outside and around the pdv2 to the left passiv speaker output on my tube amp.
Since the TRRS on the pdv2 does not transmit any ground signal this worked.. And told the guy building my amp that he had to get this running.

But dondt try this at home if you have no clue if you and your amp can do this! Absolutly not or we hear stories about michael bay explosion pdv2s :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back