E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Oct 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #211 of 1,482
same here. i unplug it every night. since i had it ony before it dind not explode, cause a black hole or summoned demons... well :wink: .. it just doesn feel to well to me to keep it full warm all the time.

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #212 of 1,482
Maybe keep it on a ceramic plate? xD

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #213 of 1,482
not really necessary to keep it on always...like all the mythos around multibit DACs needing to remain on like a fridge 24/7 on magic sponge feet with crystals arranged on top of the unit in a specific geometric pattern to extract better 'as the artist intended' multibit SQ out of FLAC that was mastered with Analogue-to-Digital delta-sigma studio devices.

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #214 of 1,482
not really necessary to keep it on always...like all the mythos around multibit DACs needing to remain on like a fridge 24/7 on magic sponge feet with crystals arranged on top of the unit in a specific geometric pattern to extract better 'as the artist intended' multibit SQ out of FLAC that was mastered with Analogue-to-Digital delta-sigma studio devices.

You really got an imagination. They probably worried about their wooden desks or such. haha.

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #215 of 1,482
Looking forward to 9038D...hopefully before end of the year...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #216 of 1,482
I guess I was thinking more in terms of convenience. Like if I don't need to remember to unplug it when I'm not using it

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #217 of 1,482
Anyone leave their pdv2 plugged in all the time? I have one for my desktop setup but right now I unplug it from USB if Im going to step away for more thab 15 mins. I guess im a bit paranoid its going to set my desk on fire or something haha

I don't suggest leaving it on 24/7 for safety reason. It is a DIY-ish device, a power house in a small form factor. I do not have knowledge in electronics but I imagine the circuit safety design may not be world class so I will not leave it on when my eyes are not on them.

The heat of some first batch units of PDV2 has been known to disbond the faceplates of the unit. Ivan has since improved its design but still, I will not leave it on overnight or 24/7.

Bonus: Reduces power bill (it is basically a winter body warmer) and save the mother earth!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #218 of 1,482
and reduces the cause of black holes!

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #219 of 1,482
The best way to place PDV2 is vertically with the narrow side resting on your desk, exposing both front and back faceplates to air, with the circuit diagram side (BT LE antenna right underneath) facing your mobile with closest possible distance (less than 1ft distance or even better, right next to each other).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #220 of 1,482
I don't suggest leaving it on 24/7 for safety reason. It is a DIY-ish device, a power house in a small form factor. I do not have knowledge in electronics but I imagine the circuit safety design may not be world class so I will not leave it on when my eyes are not on them.

The heat of some first batch units of PDV2 has been known to disbond the faceplates of the unit. Ivan has since improved its design but still, I will not leave it on overnight or 24/7.

Bonus: Reduces power bill (it is basically a winter body warmer) and save the mother earth!

Actually do u guys know if turning off and on/unplugging and plugging a DAC/AMP frequently will shorten it's lifespan? I have no electronics background, but I read everytime we turn on an amp there is a surge of electricity into the circuits, and this causes wear and tear. But I figured if u leave a DAC/AMP on all the time, there is also some heat generated which causes wear and tear too?

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #221 of 1,482
In short, no, because something more shiny and end game will come up for you in the near future and you will buy that...pause/play/repeat.

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #222 of 1,482
Usually Singaporeans are smart but this guy is stupid. God bless his 9038S.
Screenshot_20191024-204039.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #223 of 1,482
Actually do u guys know if turning off and on/unplugging and plugging a DAC/AMP frequently will shorten it's lifespan? I have no electronics background, but I read everytime we turn on an amp there is a surge of electricity into the circuits, and this causes wear and tear. But I figured if u leave a DAC/AMP on all the time, there is also some heat generated which causes wear and tear too?
As long as any power surges are within the limits (specs) of any circuit in question you'll be fine but then thermal effects can shorten the lifespan of any electr(on)ic component considerably, even if the temperatutes are within the operational limits ... nothing lasts forever, it all depends.
As a (pretty rough) rule of thumb: a temperature increase of 10 degrees C. reduces the lifespan of a component by about 50% so if you want to lengthen the lifespan of any component in any circuit start with those that get the warmest (e.g. processors in a PC), get a specific heatsink (google) and some thermal paste, make sure that the heat can dissipate well enough (larger heatsink (housing), airflow, ...) and enjoy your circuit a while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back